Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Pesky customers, taking up time and energy.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

We are a bother. Sometimes.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

I love playing CM, but every time Steve posts about how terrible his customers are, I want to yank my dongle off...my PC.

mirth

Quote from: RyanE on June 04, 2018, 12:17:27 PM
I love playing CM, but every time Steve posts about how terrible his customers are, I want to yank my dongle off...my PC.

ouch
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 04, 2018, 09:16:14 AM
Battlefront has come a long way since its original pledge of dedication to its fanbase...

Que Zulu to the rescue in 5...4...3...2...1... :2funny:
;D .... I think that is what most developers think. It may not be good PR but it has always been Steves brutal honesty that has endeared him to me.

I guess they could do with some professional PR people in most people's view ... But I have run across a lot of PR people in my time and all have left me with the feeling that they 're nothing more than bullshitters.

IF that is what Steve thinks ... and as I say most developers think the same ... then say it.

There is too little honesty in the world and I am much more interested in their game than their manners ... the reverse appears to be true for many.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mirth

Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 04, 2018, 01:30:57 PM
IF that is what Steve thinks ... and as I say most developers think the same ... then say it.

Most of the time, developers are never allowed to talk to clients/customers so what they think of them is irrelevant from a PR standpoint. As a developer, I can assure you that me telling clients they are a hassle would quickly put me in the unemployment line.

Most people giving your company money don't care for you calling them idiots. Business is funny like that.

Jarhead0331

there is also a line between honesty and just being an a$$hole. Steve seems to blur that line.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 04, 2018, 01:49:58 PM

Most of the time, developers are never allowed to talk to clients/customers so what they think of them is irrelevant from a PR standpoint. As a developer, I can assure you that me telling clients they are a hassle would quickly put me in the unemployment line.

Most people giving your company money don't care for you calling them idiots. Business is funny like that.

So you have Tom Smykowski take the specifications from the customers and bring them down to the software engineers?  :-"

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 04, 2018, 02:25:36 PM
So you have Tom Smykowski take the specifications from the customers and bring them down to the software engineers?  :-"

exactly!

Zulu1966

You see again  .... This is the bit I don't get. I didn't see anywhere in what he wrote where he called anyone an idiot.

He merely said giving people access to something called a beta would engender comments and suggestions outside of what it was they needed to specifically test. When those suggestions are denied and not dealt with because of that a whole sea of crap ensues because people will then say BF don't listen and haven't fixed or implemented something that was never the intention  in the first place.

That's what I read in the post...nothing more ... yet you read he was calling people idiots. I guess we all take different interpretations from the same set of words in the same order.

I think what he said is exactly what would happen. Can't see
why that's being an asshole either...just stating a fact and why they wouldn't release a beta patch.

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mirth

Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 04, 2018, 03:05:34 PM
You see again  .... This is the bit I don't get. I didn't see anywhere in what he wrote where he called anyone an idiot.

He merely said giving people access to something called a beta would engender comments and suggestions outside of what it was they needed to specifically test. When those suggestions are denied and not dealt with because of that a whole sea of crap ensues because people will then say BF don't listen and haven't fixed or implemented something that was never the intention  in the first place.

That's what I read in the post...nothing more ... yet you read he was calling people idiots. I guess we all take different interpretations from the same set of words in the same order.

I was referring to his historical behavior which has routinely been antagonistic towards customers. You can claim otherwise, but I've witnessed it enough times in the past 15 years to know better.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 04, 2018, 03:05:34 PM

I think what he said is exactly what would happen. Can't see
why that's being an asshole either...just stating a fact and why they wouldn't release a beta patch.

The thing you're missing is that entire paragraph where he describes his customers as being needy, unrealistic and an aggravation was unnecessary. He started out by apologizing for the delay in communication, laid out the plan, and then dropped that gigantic strawman down. It was the first post in the thread. No one even had a chance to suggest beta patches, or whatever. He just dreamed it up and called out his customers. If he had ended his post immediately before that para, the message would have been that much stronger. And if some chucklehead on his forum did bring up "beta patches" or whatever he's talking about, the fan boy brigade there would probably have trounced them.

Zulu1966

I am not missing anything. I just don't read or interpret it in the way you do. Again especially using some of the language you do.

I am not saying he couldn't say things in a more diplomatic way sometimes . Just that I don't really care whether he does or not.

I certainly don't read what he said in that post anything like with the inference around what he "thinks" of his customers ... which is I suspect with a great deal of gratitude ... which he has also said in many different ways and on many different occasions.

Strangely, people seem less interested in repeating those than making an awful lot out of what I see as very little in a negative way.

Which is I guess the way the world works.

Toonces

Quote from: Thomm on June 01, 2018, 11:05:46 AM

The magic of Ctrl + Mouse Wheel!  :bd:

I didn't know you could do that!  Thomm bad eyesight life hack FTW! 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs