Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

All I know is they are currently getting none of my dollars. On Steam, they probably would get some of them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

I can't even tell you the last time I purchased a game straight from a dev. And if I can't at least get a steam key, pass.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jarhead0331

Its conceivable that the Steam model works for many, but not all.

For instance, traditionally, game developers typically made approximately 50% of all sales in retail stores and outlets. The other 50% would go to distribution, vendors, and the retail outlet's share, which was usually pretty small, around 5-7%. Steam cuts out all the middle men and their fees, but takes a larger cut at around 30%, but the developer still receives 70%, which in the traditional sense, is more beneficial then the usual 50%. Battlefront, on the other hand is self published and self distributed, so I guess they in essence take 100% of the gross revenue from sales. I'm sure they've done the math and made the decision that the increased sales from using the steam platform would not exceed the amount of revenue from self distribution when you factor in the number of purchases versus the 30% cut taken by steam.

Steam isn't doing anything wrong, its model is beneficial to most, but as the above illustrates, not to all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2018, 05:44:09 PM
All I know is they are currently getting none of my dollars. On Steam, they probably would get some of them.

+1  I would do the same.

Ubercat

If I played CM games all the time I'd have no problem, but every time I've taken a few months off my games suddenly don't work anymore and I have to spend 1-3 days jumping through BS DRM hoops with customer support to get the games that I paid for to work again. I'm done with this nonsense. Like Mirth, if CM modules were on Steam, they'd keep getting my money. As it is, they can go (insert your own obscenity).
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Skoop

I wonder if the fee battlefront pays for their crappy drm would be a wash with the 30% steam fee and use of their drm.  Even if you add the 30% steam fee to the hypothetical numbers I suggested when I dropped the steam hint at the start of this thread, it still equates to more sales and profits for battlefront.  And with that they could hire more staff, push out more games with new features we want to see.  Battlefront's customer base is the same people that bought the games in 1999.  20 year olds won't even touch this thing.  With out moving to something like steam to appeal to a younger base, the game will simply die.  And with the snail pace that BF works at, their current customer base will die before any new improvements actually come to fruition.

Look, if steam seems to be the devil to BF, then they could do something else.  Merge with graviteam or double their staff so work output can increase, but for Christ sake do something because BF sucks.  Here's how I describe BF's business model...Sitzkrieg..... 

mirth

That's pretty much it. These are good games that are woefully behind the times. Ownership (Steve) is antagonistic toward customers, the DRM and patch/upgrade system is a nightmare for users, and I literally have dozens or hundreds of other games to spend my money on with less hassle and condescension..

It's not a difficult formula, but they seem determined to not figure it out.

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 28, 2018, 06:51:47 PM
Its conceivable that the Steam model works for many, but not all.

For instance, traditionally, game developers typically made approximately 50% of all sales in retail stores and outlets. The other 50% would go to distribution, vendors, and the retail outlet's share, which was usually pretty small, around 5-7%. Steam cuts out all the middle men and their fees, but takes a larger cut at around 30%, but the developer still receives 70%, which in the traditional sense, is more beneficial then the usual 50%. Battlefront, on the other hand is self published and self distributed, so I guess they in essence take 100% of the gross revenue from sales. I'm sure they've done the math and made the decision that the increased sales from using the steam platform would not exceed the amount of revenue from self distribution when you factor in the number of purchases versus the 30% cut taken by steam.

Steam isn't doing anything wrong, its model is beneficial to most, but as the above illustrates, not to all.

They probably think they're not going to sell a lot on Steam to make it worth while.  It's a niche game.  Then get compared to Graviteam graphically.

solops

I will always buy direct from the dev rather than from Steam, when given the choice.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Michael Dorosh

Any of you remember CDV?

ISTR that BFC got screwed by CDV, and I get the feeling Steve holds grudges. Hell, isn't that why he started Big Time Software in the first place?

Steve isn't outsourcing shit. Get used to it.

mirth

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 28, 2018, 10:09:52 PM

Don't care at all. Plenty of other places for my gaming dollars to go. Seriously, I spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year on games and not one penny has gone to BFC in at least 10 years.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2018, 10:14:40 PM
Don't care at all.

And yet every second post for the last couple of pages have been yours... ??

mirth

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 28, 2018, 10:21:05 PM
Don't care at all.

And yet every second post for the last couple of pages have been yours... ??

And you haven't spent the last 10 years bitching about CM across multiple forums... Sorry to rob you of the spotlight for a couple of posts.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Skoop on June 28, 2018, 08:59:57 PM
I wonder if the fee battlefront pays for their crappy drm would be a wash with the 30% steam fee and use of their drm.  Even if you add the 30% steam fee to the hypothetical numbers I suggested when I dropped the steam hint at the start of this thread, it still equates to more sales and profits for battlefront.  And with that they could hire more staff, push out more games with new features we want to see.  Battlefront's customer base is the same people that bought the games in 1999.  20 year olds won't even touch this thing.  With out moving to something like steam to appeal to a younger base, the game will simply die.  And with the snail pace that BF works at, their current customer base will die before any new improvements actually come to fruition.

Look, if steam seems to be the devil to BF, then they could do something else.  Merge with graviteam or double their staff so work output can increase, but for Christ sake do something because BF sucks.  Here's how I describe BF's business model...Sitzkrieg.....

So just typical.

1. Your "numbers" were just that. Yours, and you just made them up in your own head to suit your own argument which is so typical of much of the comment on BF. If you look at an earlier post and look at the steamspy numbers for one of the graviteam games, even though there is much debate as to whether those are at all accurate, and that is probably a better comparison than the one used earlier, apply those numbers at an average price, take out the  cut from steam and it's not even close to making even half the salary of a developer. Add in all those who now buy from steam at the reduced price instead of direct and those numbers barely make any sense. So your argument is garbage because it is predicated on your own ignorant assumption that suddenly tens of thousands of new units will be flying off the shelves and the only basis you have for quoting those kinds of numbers is that only then does your argument add up.

2. If battlefront are happy with their business model, their sales from those who do buy, and it provides them with the life they want who the fuck are you to tell them to do something different. Maybe you won't buy their games if they don't but have you ever considered in the context of what they are doing they don't actually care ? These posts are full of people saying do this do that to make thousands of more sales yet the only comment I have ever seen from battlefront on their sales was that their current business model provides them with a comfortable life style. So maybe all those ranting about steam don't see the point that the only guys who matter in this don't particularly care about seeking every last ounce of profit if they have already achieved that which most of us only dream about in earning a living doing something they enjoy
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 28, 2018, 10:09:52 PM

Don't care at all. Plenty of other places for my gaming dollars to go. Seriously, I spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year on games and not one penny has gone to BFC in at least 10 years.

And yet you feel qualified to then discuss their DRM. The quality of their customer service. The upgrade /patch process ?

Fuck me you couldn't make up the level of sheer breathtaking hypocrisy in that one post in a thousand works of fiction.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.