Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IICptMillerII

The good news is that the new website means a much less painful DRM circus to deal with, and Shock Force 2 will get rid of most of these technical issues in SF1. Another reason to be excited for SF2!

Speaking of SF2, I've been working on a little project for a while and figure now is a decent time to show a quick teaser.

Grim.Reaper

you mention drm will be less painful with the new web site, why is that?  what about the new web site will make that easier?

Sir Slash

Leave that man alone and let him get back to that delicious-looking Project Tease.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Elvis

Quote from: Destraex on July 23, 2018, 07:14:59 PM
Just re-installed shock force and all the modules I own (all of them I think). What a painful process.
I had to fight re-licnesing, anti-virus and now will have to fight texture issues. To be fair. It's a very old game now.
Perhaps I am missing some more files that the AV blocked OR perhaps the graphics drivers I have just don't like it.

I thought that was you when I got the ticket the other day! Glad that you're at least installed. I cringe when I get a CMSF1 ticket where the person needs to re-install the whole game. What a convoluted mess. Thankfully, everything else now has the all-in-one full game installers since the 4.0 Upgrade came out.

RE: the screenshot. Is your computer a desktop or laptop? What kind of video card do you have? Has the game previously played fine on that computer?

EDIT: Maybe you should open a ticket for it rather than trying to do tech support here.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 24, 2018, 05:05:33 AM
you mention drm will be less painful with the new web site, why is that?  what about the new web site will make that easier?

I'm not a developer, so I can only convey what has been said and my impressions of it. From what I've heard, it sounds like the DRM will be easier to manage because the behind the scenes systems have been overhauled and simplified. Starting with V4 and their new website, all you should need to do to activate a game is to plug in the license key into the activator provided with every game (it comes up automatically if the game isn't licensed) and you should be all set.

All the current CM games are using this system, and when SF2 comes out it will be on the new system.

The short of it is, it should be easier for one to activate their new games, and the license key "infrastructure" is much smoother now.

Grim.Reaper

Now I know I shouldn't be surprised, but after that message posting Battlefront did where they admitted not providing updated information, I had hoped communication would improve.  At that time, they indicated CMSF 2 would be released by the end of July but since then have not said a single word.  I suspect they will say because of the web site issues it is now delayed, but why the heck hasn't any information been posted to confirm that and potential new dates?  If they follow their typical process of making pre orders available, seems like we could still be a month or more away.

Just takes a minute to provide a clue to people....

RyanE

But the five minutes it would take to update the masses means a 3-4 week delay in finalizing the game.

btw, if Steve just said the website worked caused the delay, instead of his usual page of pointing out how BFC isn't at fault and its the customers who are too demanding, it would seem a lot simpler.

Jarhead0331

The thing that I find hilarious is that nobody who is posting in the official forums is even asking...Its as if they are all too scared to even suggest that an update would be nice.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2018, 05:29:12 PM
The thing that I find hilarious is that nobody who is posting in the official forums is even asking...Its as if they are all too scared to even suggest that an update would be nice.

Very true, I noticed that as well.  I guess being beat up for the last 20 years has people gun shy in asking fair and reasonable questions.  Probably wouldn't do any good anyway, we'll get the typical excuses and then he will say customers expect too much....sigh.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Destraex

Quote from: Elvis on July 24, 2018, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: Destraex on July 23, 2018, 07:14:59 PM
Just re-installed shock force and all the modules I own (all of them I think). What a painful process.
I had to fight re-licnesing, anti-virus and now will have to fight texture issues. To be fair. It's a very old game now.
Perhaps I am missing some more files that the AV blocked OR perhaps the graphics drivers I have just don't like it.

I thought that was you when I got the ticket the other day! Glad that you're at least installed. I cringe when I get a CMSF1 ticket where the person needs to re-install the whole game. What a convoluted mess. Thankfully, everything else now has the all-in-one full game installers since the 4.0 Upgrade came out.

RE: the screenshot. Is your computer a desktop or laptop? What kind of video card do you have? Has the game previously played fine on that computer?

EDIT: Maybe you should open a ticket for it rather than trying to do tech support here.

What's wrong with the tech support here?
I was in two minds to be honest. My first priority was to get my keys in order. Then I was going to have a muck around with the current version. Now I may just wait and see what cmsf2 offers and if I purchase all my problems should go away. Because the new version should work perfectly on my system.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Staggerwing

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 23, 2018, 10:44:10 PM
The good news is that the new website means a much less painful DRM circus to deal with, and Shock Force 2 will get rid of most of these technical issues in SF1. Another reason to be excited for SF2!

Speaking of SF2, I've been working on a little project for a while and figure now is a decent time to show a quick teaser.

Is that Matrix's Campaigns: Middle East you are working with?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Must be JTS panzer battles or panzer campaigns

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 31, 2018, 09:09:39 PM
Is that Matrix's Campaigns: Middle East you are working with?
Quote from: jomni on August 01, 2018, 03:42:18 AM
Must be JTS panzer battles or panzer campaigns

It's both actually. Photoshop is a magical thing.

The bad news is, I'll be traveling for most of August so I won't get much of a chance to work on this more. The good news is, most of it is already done, and no one knows when CMSF2 is actually releasing so the delay might work in my favor.

RyanE

I noticed Steve and minions are giving some guy a hard time about asking why the game wasn't released.  Jumping on the old chestnut of that is why they don't give dates on release.

Again, if he had just said on July 31 that it won't be July because of the website or any other reason, it would have mooted that whole conversation.  I can't believe he doesn't see the connection.