Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RyanE on August 02, 2018, 06:11:20 AM
I noticed Steve and minions are giving some guy a hard time about asking why the game wasn't released.  Jumping on the old chestnut of that is why they don't give dates on release.

Again, if he had just said on July 31 that it won't be July because of the website or any other reason, it would have mooted that whole conversation.  I can't believe he doesn't see the connection.

Holy cow....his actual reason given "Exactly why we are reluctant to post release dates!  In this case I didn't take into consideration that people might take some time off from work this summer.  Silly me!"

Really?  so nothing do to with website?  He just forgot people have time off and that ends up preventing from the posting of any updates?

They are just lucky I want to play this type of game, otherwise I would totally stop supporting this behavior....

Grim.Reaper

More head scratching stuff from them....they just don't get it.  Maybe if they remotely ever hit their planned release date (without some crazy reason like "I forgot people go on vacation" or if they could create a 1 minute post every so often to keep their paying customers informed, wouldn't come across so badly.  Oh well, beating dead horse with this company....I truly don't understand how they stay in business.

I definitely appreciate customers want to be informed about when things are/aren't happening.  We do like you to be informed, unfortunately after 20 years of doing this it doesn't get any easier to make predictions.  The problem is every time I post some sort of update people pester me to make a new release date estimate.  When that comes and goes people want another one.  And if that one comes and goes, I'm pushed to make another one.  I've found it's usually better to say nothing as much as possible.  In the end customers are not better/worse informed because no matter what I do and do not say the game will only get released when it's ready.  And even I don't know when that is until about 10 minutes before it goes live.

Steve

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 04, 2018, 04:31:48 AM
I've found it's usually better to say nothing as much as possible.

That's a sound m.o. if you work in the intelligence community.  When dealing with your customer base, not so much.

#:-)

I have to say I'm pretty much done with Battlefront and CM at this point. The game engine just feels so clunky and dated in 2018.  10 minutes with the Graviteam games really makes this apparent.  The 'new and improved' website that they took years to complete looks neither new or improved. Their inability to make any deadlines for releases, and then their incredible defensiveness and refusal to keep folks informed as to their plans, is just ridiculous at this point.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 04, 2018, 07:43:25 AM

That's a sound m.o. if you work in the intelligence community.  When dealing with your customer base, not so much.

I have to say I'm pretty much done with Battlefront and CM at this point. The game engine just feels so clunky and dated in 2018.  10 minutes with the Graviteam games really makes this apparent.  The 'new and improved' website that they took years to complete looks neither new or improved. Their inability to make any deadlines for releases, and then their incredible defensiveness and refusal to keep folks informed as to their plans, is just ridiculous at this point.

I concur with all. CM will never see my hard drive again.

Jarhead0331

Not to mention, the Graviteam games receive frequent updates and DLCs.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 04, 2018, 10:26:37 AM
Not to mention, the Graviteam games receive frequent updates and DLCs.

During the next GraviTeam sale, think I'll finally jump in...

Zulu1966

Yeah we know. Do you really have to keep telling us ?
10 minutes with the graviteam games and that impenetrable unexplained horrendous interface reminds me why I never get beyond  30 mins play
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

sandman2575

Quote from: Zulu1966 on August 04, 2018, 11:09:38 AM

Right.  *I'm* the one with an ax to grind when it comes to CM, and who has become tiresome with his constantly offered and predictable opinions.  Got it.

Jarhead0331

10 minutes with the graviteam games and that impenetrable unexplained horrendous interface reminds me why I never get beyond  30 mins play

The interface isn't "horrendous". This is an often repeated falsehood. Its different. It takes some effort to learn. That's all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

I completely agree on the Graviteam interface.  It is different.  I always go back to CM1's launch and wailing about the interface.  The main issue is that Graviteam has so many more options to control your units than BFC.  I think that is what gets CM players.

Just like any CM game, it takes a while to figure it out.  Unless you really don't want to.

Cyrano

Please call -- and I mean this -- when Graviteam figures out the magic elixir of MP.

Until then, the flame for me is not worth the candle.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

sandman2575

No question the "Graviteam's UI is horrendous and incomprehensible!!" thing is a red herring. Yes, it's unusual and does have a learning curve. But in the Graviteam games, I can get a platoon of tanks travel in a column down a road half a kilometer's distance in about 3 clicks. Doing the same in CM literally might take 20 times as many clicks.  CM's UI is the horrendous, carpal-tunnel inducing one, not Graviteam's.

Skoop

Only thing I can't figure out is how to drop arty in graviteam.  It seems the new ui over complicated the process.  Other than that, I actually like the graviteam ui.

Zulu1966

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 04, 2018, 11:18:39 AM

Right.  *I'm* the one with an ax to grind when it comes to CM, and who has become tiresome with his constantly offered and predictable opinions.  Got it.

Well you are the one who wastes your time coming to CM posts to tell people how shit the game is. I just wonder why you bother.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 04, 2018, 12:37:17 PM
No question the "Graviteam's UI is horrendous and incomprehensible!!" thing is a red herring. Yes, it's unusual and does have a learning curve. But in the Graviteam games, I can get a platoon of tanks travel in a column down a road half a kilometer's distance in about 3 clicks. Doing the same in CM literally might take 20 times as many clicks.  CM's UI is the horrendous, carpal-tunnel inducing one, not Graviteam's.

I remember a scenario in Combat Mission Battle for Normandy that had me controlling almost an entire Battalion of combat power: almost an entire battalion of Squad-sized elements. Fucking nightmare.

I'm not crazy about the Graviteam UI, but at least I can give Platoon orders and orders at echelon.