Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse. I should just get over it and be happy for those of you who managed to get your money's worth.  :bd:
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Zonso

No, I think what you need to get over is that your personal experience is not representative of the whole or the norm. Comments such as lucky, managed to get your money's worth etc is simply disingenuous to be polite.

Ubercat

Wow, OK. If I wasn't unlucky for not getting my money's worth then I'm not sure what the cause was. I'll just accept my lumps and bow out. Enjoy the game you paid for.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Tuna

I've had multiple problems with the DRM, I just don't even bother playing, never-mind buying more.

JudgeDredd

I was VERY surprised to be able to load each of my Battlefront games with no problems after more than a year of not doing so.

I've had issues with their DRM. It's a freakin' nightmare and upgrading to newer versions have resulted in issues too. I won't say I'm not to blame occasionally - but still, the problem shouldn't be there for someone owning a game. End of.

Shock Force was my favourite iteration of the game and I desperately wanted a new version - but I'm not heaving money out my wallet...I've got something like 4 or was it 5 modules for SF!

Like Tuna - I hardly play now.

Alba gu' brath

Ubercat

Well guys, keep your mouths shut about it. This is a praise only thread.  :D

- Thomas Sowell

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ubercat on October 24, 2018, 06:40:24 AM
Well guys, keep your mouths shut about it. This is a praise only thread.  :D

This thread is far from a praise thread, would say quite the opposite.  Very little talked about the actual game. 

For me personally, I never said others don't have issues and fully agree the drm sucks, but I shared just one view point where I happen to work ok and enjoy the game.

trek

Like many here I've only had one incident with BF's DRM scheme. And that was TOW Kursk. Not one of BF's own games. I had bought TOWK originally thru BF. Any way even after multiple tries with support I couldn't get it fixed. I finally gave up and purchased it thru Steam.

And Ubercat I too have been lucky with the BF DRM. And like you I think they're system is a nightmare. Awhile back I re-installed the original CMSF with all the modules. I was able to do this successfully only because I had documentation that I had filed away for this eventuality with step-by-step instructions.

I also can't figure out why BF can't adopt a DRM like Matrix Games. Is it because they're a smaller company? Maybe, but even Ubisoft  has created problems for consumers with their U-Play. Lots of complaints on Steam about that one. I recall someone on this forum was having a problem installing Silent Hunter 5 due to the same issue.

I will say that a month ago I re-installed CMBN and all it's modules and the whole process went much quicker and smoother. Didn't seem that I had to jump thru as many hoops to get it installed.  Maybe they've improved the system?

I wasn't planning on buying CMSF2. After playing the Demo I've changed my mind. The game looks and plays so well and it's like going back to an old friend. I forgot how great the game is. I'm not too much on modern combat games but for this one I will make and exception.

I think you should try the Demo if you hadn't already and give the game another shot. Because I think you'll be missing out on some great gaming. And maybe like some of us here you'll get lucky this time. If you have the old CMSF you'll get a substantial discount too.

Yskonyn

Don't feed the trolls, Grim. We're running low on cookies.  L:-)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

trek

Ubercat to me is not coming off as a Troll by any means. Like anyone who has had multiple problems with a game he's just looking for a little support.  Many of these threads and the comments we post can come off as Fanboy-like whether we realize it or not. 

Yskonyn

Well he leaves no oppertunity unused to make his point about HIM having had problems regardless of others' experiences.

The only praise thid thread advocated was by a few individuals posting about how much fun they have with the new demo.

The rest was pretty negative about BFC's way of comms and their DRM. I don't see much fanboism either. Almost all people praising CM for what it is also spoke out negatively about BFC and their DRM.
So I am not quite sure why it is such a problem for some that its not all black nor white.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Zonso on October 23, 2018, 05:42:43 PM
Never had any issue with DRM either but some like to beat a dead horse ad nauseam even though the world has turned now - twice.
Well - far be it for me to be judge - but I think his response was directed at the passive aggressive nature of the above.

Passive aggressive. Drive by. Call it what you will. UC decided to vent about their DRM and he was (indirectly obviously) accused of beating a dead horse and as an exit, a little trivial statement about the world turning kind of made it a drive by.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2018, 08:47:42 AM

Well - far be it for me to be judge -

You are JudgeDredd! Who better to be judge than you!?!  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

lol - I know - but I have some bias here  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: trek on October 24, 2018, 07:48:35 AM
I will say that a month ago I re-installed CMBN and all it's modules and the whole process went much quicker and smoother. Didn't seem that I had to jump thru as many hoops to get it installed.  Maybe they've improved the system?

As one of those who never had a real problem with the DRM, I haven't followed closely, but I do vaguely recall some discussions of improvements, so that may be a fair observation.

I think the only thing that really got in my way was a possible conflict between CM and my virus checker, and once I investigated and fixed it, there was no problem.

I sympathize with those who find that it doesn't work for them, though, no doubt it is frustrating.

Not being independently wealthy, I haven't had to worry about moving licenses, as my gaming rig is probably almost a decade old at this point. Also doubles as my working rig, my home finances rig, my web-browsing rig and my email rig and my everything else rig...