Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis

Quote from: mikeck on December 04, 2018, 06:11:28 PM
Christ almighty. Is battlefront on a secret mission to make game downloading unnecessarily difficult?
Ok, so if I DONT OWN SF1....do I understand that I don't need to buy it but need a key? I actually do own it but I don't thjnk it's installed. So what do I do?

I don't suppose someone could make it as easy as
Buy full SF2 at full price
Install
Play

This makes no sense: " Anyone can buy the CMSF2 Upgrade...even if you never owned the original....but to activate the Upgrade you will need your old keys.."

So how would I have an "old" key to get if I never owned SF1?

Now I have to get with Battlefront service to get a key from a game I bought 10 years ago in order to play a new game I buy today?

Am I missing this completely?

There are 2 different things that became available for sale today. That might be where your confusion is.

1) CMSF2. If you wanted to buy this and have the entire shebang, base game and all 3 modules, it is $125. You download it, install it and enter the single key that comes with that purchase and you have it all. Pretty much exactly what you were looking for in the bit that I bolded above.

2) CMSF2 Upgrade. If you have previously owned the original CMSF1 game you can "Upgrade" that game to CMSF2. If you want to Upgrade the whole shebang it is $35, as opposed to $125. To qualify for the steeply discounted price you need your original CMSF1 key(s) as part of the activation process. License keys for previous purchases can be found in your account on the Battlefront.com website (with the exception of very old orders which were part of the old online store system. For those it's easy enough for me to confirm a purchase and issue a key)

To explain further what I meant by anyone can buy it etc..... There is no requirement to own the earlier game to purchase the Upgrade. Anyone can do it. But if you never owned the original CMSF1 game then the Upgrade doesn't do you any good.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

I'm not sure what IICptMillerII did when activating but you 100% need the old keys to activate the Upgrade. Cpt, you made the videos that have been shown so I am assuming you're a beta tester. Your computer "remembers" earlier activations so that is probably why you didn't need to do it.

mikeck

Perfect. Thank you

I do own SF1 but hell if I know where the key is or even what modules I bought. $125 is steep but if things look good with bugs and such, I'll pull the trigger

Thanks for breaking it down Elvis
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Elvis

Quote from: mikeck on December 04, 2018, 06:26:48 PM
Well, Capt Miller's experience SHOULD be what happens. I would think that it would be the same for people who didn't own SF1 or have no wish to wait around for an old key. Like a SF1 and SF2 bundle for that or something

Cpt Miller's experience IS what happens if you buy CMSF2 and not the Upgrade.

You should not have to wait around for a key if you own CMSF1 and any of it's modules. They are in your Battlefront.com account.

Elvis

Quote from: mikeck on December 04, 2018, 06:40:18 PM
Perfect. Thank you

I do own SF1 but hell if I know where the key is or even what modules I bought. $125 is steep but if things look good with bugs and such, I'll pull the trigger

Don't do it, bro. If you don't find the info in your account it is definitely worth dropping me a line. It doesn't take long for me to find someone's information and whatever time it takes is worth saving $90. We love money at Battlefront but we'd rather earn.

Old TImer

Kind of a mess.  Can't login to the website and can't figure out how to order the upgrade only. 

IICptMillerII

Oh crap Elvis I think you're right. I'll go back and edit my post earlier so that people are not confused. I guess even I am confused right now  ;D

Jarhead0331

This is how the Big Bundle upgrade works.

1. Download the CMSF2 Big Bundle Upgrade file (2GB)
2. Extract install files
3. Run installer
4. After installation, Run "Activate New Products" shortcut
5. Paste code that comes with CMSF2 Big Bundle upgrade purchase and activate
6. Run "Activate New Products" shortcut and paste code that came with CMSF1 base game. Activate.
7. Run "Activate New Products" shortcut and paste codes for CMSF1 modules. Activate.
    I did them in following order: Marines, British forces, Nato Forces
8. Run game and play. You should see the symbol for each installed module in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Why simple instructions like this could not be provided ANYWHERE by Battlefront is beyond my understanding.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Elvis on December 04, 2018, 06:42:57 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 04, 2018, 06:40:18 PM
Perfect. Thank you

Don't do it, bro. If you don't find the info in your account it is definitely worth dropping me a line. It doesn't take long for me to find someone's information and whatever time it takes is worth saving $90. We love money at Battlefront but we'd rather earn.

I'm trackin'....but I only owned SF1....none of the modules. But I'll send an email to battlefront on the site and see what happens
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Ubercat

Looks like you guys are all having typical Battlefront style fun.  #:-)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 04, 2018, 08:25:17 PM
This is how the Big Bundle upgrade works.

1. Download the CMSF2 Big Bundle Upgrade file (2GB)
2. Extract install files
3. Run installer
4. After installation, Run "Activate New Products" shortcut
5. Paste code that comes with CMSF2 Big Bundle upgrade purchase and activate
6. Run "Activate New Products" shortcut and paste code that came with CMSF1 base game. Activate.
7. Run "Activate New Products" shortcut and paste codes for CMSF1 modules. Activate.
    I did them in following order: Marines, British forces, Nato Forces
8. Run game and play. You should see the symbol for each installed module in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Why simple instructions like this could not be provided ANYWHERE by Battlefront is beyond my understanding.

You've got a 4K monitor right JH? How does the game look?
I just downloaded the demo for SF2 and it really really looks like shit on my 4K monitor with all the graphics options turned all the way up... Plays fine and no lag but man it's just awful graphics quality.

Jarhead0331

It looks a lot like the original CMSF. Dark and pretty clunky. My biggest issue is that in desktop resolution, and I'm not even sure what that means, I have some trouble reading text. The next best option is 1280 x 960, which just looks a little silly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Quote from: Ubercat on December 04, 2018, 08:55:46 PM
Looks like you guys are all having typical Battlefront style fun.  #:-)

You mean figuring out how things work?

MikeGER

asking out of curiosity before jumping into the process and before placing the order for the update

i have found my e-Licence for Marines, British, and Nato ..so far so good  O0
but my CMSF is a German boxed CD version from Paradox Interactive

Elvis, so what to do now.

...fun fact i found the purchase receipt from the brick and mortar store inside the box, ...go figure!
its a little bleached out but i am still able to proved even that, beside a picture of the CD in its box, manual and some folded map of Syria 

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 04, 2018, 10:40:19 PM
It looks a lot like the original CMSF. Dark and pretty clunky. My biggest issue is that in desktop resolution, and I'm not even sure what that means, I have some trouble reading text. The next best option is 1280 x 960, which just looks a little silly.

AFAIK "Desktop Resolution" means it will set to whatever native resolution your screen normally operates at. So if you have a 4K monitor it'll be [really high number] x [another really high number], which may be why the text is really small - they haven't quite scaled everything up properly on the UI for large res's.

My monitor is 1920 x 1080 (which is what 'desktop resolution' would mean for me specifically, and anyone with a monitor of the same size) and I'm surprised there isn't an option for that - 1280 x 960 seems very low for a game released in 2018.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 04, 2018, 10:40:19 PM
lol - I'd wonder at all even if the game had updated and I wasn't actually playing the original if that as the case. I presume it says it's the new version?

When I played the demo, it didn't look to me like they'd fixed the awful shadows issue that's been around since forever...and that really played havoc with my eyes.

Also - JH mentioning it looks the same as SF1...sorry but as much as I loved these games - and CMSF with all it's modules was my favourite - I just cannot for the life of me be arsed to go through what seems like a fairly simple process but in reality I imagine will be a f***ing nightmare. Anytime I've ever had to deal with these games validation bollox, I've been tearing my hair out.

Enjoy  :bd:
Alba gu' brath