Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris merchant

the icon at the end of the poster's comment is named 'idiot2'.

There is nothing resembling a smiley in the poster's comment therefore my comment stands.

The door has no chance of hitting me...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: chris merchant on December 05, 2018, 10:30:59 PM

There is nothing resembling a smiley in the poster's comment therefore my comment stands.

I changed my mind...you may actually be, an idiot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

Quote from: Elvis on December 05, 2018, 07:09:03 PM

Although, seriously, I think even the most harsh critics of various aspects of BFC games would say that whenever they've needed help with something I respond quickly and get things taken care of. I take a great deal of pride on it.

I can attest to that. O0

Whenever I have had an issue with the games/licensing etc, Elvis has ALWAYS responded quickly (usually within 24hours) and has been both supportive and practical with his help. That is my experience with BFC support.

My own view arising from any issues I've had is that the help Elvis provides is generally far better than many larger companies with much greater resources available to support their products. My $0.02.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Elvis

Quote from: Barthheart on December 05, 2018, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: chris merchant on December 05, 2018, 05:05:22 PM
if text is blurry disable FXAA in your video card settings.

There is no FXAA setting in the options menu in SF2. If you mean I have to hunt for it in my video card settings and turn it off for this game only then forget it....  :idiot2:

There is another possibility here. You guys seem to be talking about some seriously outfitted game machines, so it may not apply,  but I figure I should mention it anyway since it is the only time I have seen blurry text as an issue. Almost all laptops come with an Intel integrated video card, regardless of whether or not they have a dedicated card. If a laptop has a dedicated card, like a GeForce card, it will sometime try to run the game on the Intel card instead. The laptop that I use to play the games does. I go into NVIDIA Control Panel and set it to run on high performance graphics to make the laptop run on the GeForce card and the blurry text goes away.  A bugger is that half of the time when Windows does an update it reverts back and I have to reset it.

Figured I'd mention it because that is the only case of blurrytext that I have come across. Especially so if the rest if the game looks normal.

(Stepping away and covering my head so that I can avoid the slings and arrows for voicing a comment that is intended to be helpful only to be inundated with "any game that makes me do that sux" kind of comments.)

Grim.Reaper

although it's great that elvis provides decent support to people, i think the point is that battlefront should make things easier and more clear so people don't have to contact support all the time. the best company support department is the one you don't need to contact often especially for routine things like installing and playing a game.

when our company receives a lot of questions on the same topic, they don't acknowledge themself fir great support, instead they are charged to work with the product owner to make things better to reduce future support calls.  in battlefront case, they don't appear to care about the customer experience so they make no changes or provide long arguments as to why they shouldn't change.

so when the support department (elvis) starts convincing the product owner to make changes to lessen the need for support at all, then i will heap praise on how good support is:)

with that said, i do appreciate that elvis does his best under the circumstances...

Yskonyn

It would sure make Elvis' life a lot easier!  ;D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

Quote from: chris merchant on December 05, 2018, 10:30:59 PM

I don't 'read' smiley icons before clicking them.. just click the one that looks good, that icon to me means 'this is crazy'. Barth is saying it is crazy to have to go and change a cards setting for something like this. I don't take Barth as the type of person that would call someone an "Idiot".

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Elvis on December 06, 2018, 12:32:03 AM

There is no FXAA setting in the options menu in SF2. If you mean I have to hunt for it in my video card settings and turn it off for this game only then forget it....  :idiot2:

There is another possibility here. You guys seem to be talking about some seriously outfitted game machines, so it may not apply,  but I figure I should mention it anyway since it is the only time I have seen blurry text as an issue. Almost all laptops come with an Intel integrated video card, regardless of whether or not they have a dedicated card. If a laptop has a dedicated card, like a GeForce card, it will sometime try to run the game on the Intel card instead. The laptop that I use to play the games does. I go into NVIDIA Control Panel and set it to run on high performance graphics to make the laptop run on the GeForce card and the blurry text goes away.  A bugger is that half of the time when Windows does an update it reverts back and I have to reset it.

Figured I'd mention it because that is the only case of blurrytext that I have come across. Especially so if the rest if the game looks normal.

(Stepping away and covering my head so that I can avoid the slings and arrows for voicing a comment that is intended to be helpful only to be inundated with "any game that makes me do that sux" kind of comments.)

I'm playing on an i7 with 32 gb ram and a 1080ti. It's not old. It's nearly top of the line.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philippe

Quote from: Elvis on December 05, 2018, 07:09:03 PM
Quote from: Philippe on December 05, 2018, 05:00:36 PM
I am not a member of the anti-DRM tinfoil hat brigade.

But if I drop a hundred dollars on a shiny new toy, I expect it to be hassle free.

I loved CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK, and the experience went a long way towards shaping my thinking about how a computer wargame should and should not work.

But every time I clear enough time and mental space to take the plunge into CMBN, I start hearing mini-horror stories about different kinds of aggravation.

If it were a twenty dollar game I would be inclined to just shrug it off, buy the game, and not really care if something funky were to happen.

But once a game crosses the hundred dollar line I insist on a premium product.

In the old days I knew that if something weird happened I could always send Mad Matt an e-mail and everything would get straightened out.

But that doesn't seem to be an option these days, and everything I hear about Steve's latest pearls of wisdom reminds me too much of a small business owner who only hears what he wants to hear because he fires anyone who disagrees with him.

I have enough free sources of aggravation as it is, so why would I want to spend a hundred bucks for another one?

(I have similar conversations with myself about Kevin Zucker and Operational Studies Group, though I will admit to having taken the plunge once or twice).

Hey!?!? What am? Chopped liver?

Although, seriously, I think even the most harsh critics of various aspects of BFC games would say that whenever they've needed help with something I respond quickly and get things taken care of. I take a great deal of pride on it.

I also miss Matt. We chat on the Facebooks from time to time.

I have absolutely no doubt that you would resolve any issue that I had quickly and efficiently, provided that it fell on the right side of current policy.

That proviso is what makes me uncomfortable. 

Small business owners often think they are unaccountable tin gods, and I really don't like the tone and implication of some of the pronouncements that have come from one of the principals of your company over the last few years.  It's not merely a question of putting a muzzle on Steve:  that management could ever have thought that way is unheimlich and somewhat disturbing.

And this aside from the question of whether you should experience any issues if you pay a premium price.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 06, 2018, 07:05:54 AM

I'm playing on an i7 with 32 gb ram and a 1080ti. It's not old. It's nearly top of the line.

It a bummer to fiddle with card settings for just a specific game though.

mikeck

I'm too lazy. With Steam or Matrix, I buy, download and play. I just don't feel like messing with old license keys and then activating them one at a time. Just seems like the cost for buying SF2 without the prior games is REALLY high. So it's pay over $100 or spend time recovering and activating license keys.

Just like Graviream. Prior to Steam, I never bothered to play or upgrade from the base since installing patches and DLC was a pain. Now I just click "install" when I get notified there is a patch. It just seems like maybe there is a simple way. Not to mention the nightmare I experienced paying for and installing license stuff for the engine upgrade.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Quote from: jomni on December 06, 2018, 06:07:19 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 06, 2018, 07:05:54 AM

It a bummer to fiddle with card settings for just a specific game though.

Well if one has an Nvidia card one can easily make profiles per game in the nvidia control panel.
Its a one time setup. Not hard at all.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on December 06, 2018, 10:41:27 PM
I'm too lazy. With Steam or Matrix, I buy, download and play. I just don't feel like messing with old license keys and then activating them one at a time. Just seems like the cost for buying SF2 without the prior games is REALLY high. So it's pay over $100 or spend time recovering and activating license keys.

Just like Graviream. Prior to Steam, I never bothered to play or upgrade from the base since installing patches and DLC was a pain. Now I just click "install" when I get notified there is a patch. It just seems like maybe there is a simple way. Not to mention the nightmare I experienced paying for and installing license stuff for the engine upgrade.

to be fair, people keep mentioning the game is over a $100...that is true if you buy all modules which you dont have to right away.  no different than any other games that have expansions and dlc....even graviteam and famously crusader kings which is way more if you buy everything.

Boggit

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 06, 2018, 05:30:30 AM
although it's great that elvis provides decent support to people, i think the point is that battlefront should make things easier and more clear so people don't have to contact support all the time. the best company support department is the one you don't need to contact often especially for routine things like installing and playing a game.

I agree. It's  a very fair point you make.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MOS:96B2P

to be fair, people keep mentioning the game is over a $100...that is true if you buy all modules which you dont have to right away.  no different than any other games that have expansions and dlc....even graviteam and famously crusader kings which is way more if you buy everything.
[/quote]

This is a good point I hadn't thought of.  The price tag that often gets quoted is not just for CMSF2.  It is for CMSF2 base game plus the USMC Module, plus the UK Module, plus the NATO Module.  Remembering this helps to keep things in perspective.