Main Menu

Fantasy General 2

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2019, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Ugh. Good points, Jarhead. In my excitement over the title, I certainly didn't see those red flags. Day one purchase just became "some day in the future maybe" purchase.

bbmike

Yeah, I shouldn't say "I'm out". I should say, "I'll wait until it's deeply discounted in a Summer or Christmas sale".
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Too bad. I was hoping. A fantasy world version of Empires: Field of Glory was more what I was dreaming of.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 28, 2019, 10:07:51 AM
Too bad. I was hoping. A fantasy world version of Empires: Field of Glory was more what I was dreaming of.  :dreamer:

:bd:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Guys...don't get too down on it. What I have played so far of the campaign is very good. Its definitely got those classic addictive qualities. However, I am disappointed about the limited content as previously mentioned and I knew those were things you would all want to know about, as I too, thought there would be more there and at least a sandbox empire building component. It just isn't that kind of a game though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I still need to dive deeper and play a Mortal Empires campaign of Warhammer: Total War. That will scratch the itch for a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: bbmike on August 28, 2019, 09:19:30 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't say "I'm out". I should say, "I'll wait until it's deeply discounted in a Summer or Christmas sale".

The only thing I buy on day of release is new Order of Battle campaigns.  They seem to work out of the box and are not too pricey.  Everything else I wait for people to play it for at least a month - and usually wait longer and get it on sale.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 28, 2019, 10:07:51 AM

That's sort of Sovereignty (from Matrix). Which I've heard is a buggy mess, although I haven't played it personally enough to find out. It's an ambitious game, but it isn't exactly a sandbox because it doesn't have a random map (so far as I recall). I think in principle it compares well to FoGEmp.

There are plenty of fantasy sandbox 4x games now, and Matrix is going to work on remaking the original Master of Magic, so that's coming.

Fantasy General was always Panzer General, and that is NOT a sandbox game, NOR a version of FoGEmp (which the TW:Warhammer games fill pretty well). Matrix has plenty of WW2-ish Panzer General inheritors, including a direct remake, and including a version for freaking Wahammer40K (i.e. Armageddon). If FantGen2 is like that, there's a reason.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Don't forget the hollowed pixels of Age of Wonders II and III.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 28, 2019, 01:02:47 PM

There are plenty of fantasy sandbox 4x games now, and Matrix is going to work on remaking the original Master of Magic, so that's coming.

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2019, 02:02:32 PM
Don't forget the hollowed pixels of Age of Wonders II and III.

They are indeed among the number of plenty of fantasy sandbox 4x games now.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bobarossa

Deity Empires is well designed although I think the AI is lacking.

Sir Slash

I was thinking, 'Fantasy' Bactria might be able to win a game.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 28, 2019, 06:36:37 PM
I was thinking, 'Fantasy' Bactria might be able to win a game.  ::)

:DD :DD :DD
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sir Slash

Well, I did say, 'fantasy'.  :hide: