The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

That helmet sucks. Was it designed by a 15 year old pyromaniac?

Martok

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 07, 2014, 02:17:28 PM
Well this *is* arena football we're talking about, so odds are the answer is "yes". 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Quote from: Martok on May 07, 2014, 02:26:16 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 07, 2014, 02:17:28 PM
Well this *is* arena football we're talking about, so odds are the answer is "yes".

No doubt one of Gene's or Paul's bastard kids.  ::)
Any time is a good time for pie.

skeptical.platypus

Well, I just learned I wasn't drafted in the first round. I'm hurt, but not bitter.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

BanzaiCat

bayonetbrant

hey - Houston didn't take him so what are you bitching about?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

It will be interesting to see who the Texans take at QB. Carr will be on the board, but there is some talk that because of how things went with Houston and his brother that neither sides are all that interested. A Ryan Mallett trade is supposedly in the works with the Patriots, so it is at least possible that Houston may not draft a QB at all. I'm good with the Clowney pick, but somebody has to throw the ball, Houston.

BanzaiCat

I'm in full agreement. I couldn't watch the draft shows these last few nights as I've been in a show these last two nights - but I got the texts from the local sports station. Clowney I can understand...but then a guard, a tight end, and what, a defensive tackle? None of whom I've heard of, but that doesn't mean anything of course.

I think the Texans wanted Bridgewater and the Vikes stole him out from under their 33rd pick (might be a good pick for Minnesota, who knows). The Raiders got Carr, so that doesn't look good for his development (ha). Not sure what QBs worth a crap are left on the board right now.

Brant - f*ck Johnny Manziel. I'm just bitching in general. I've made no bones about my opinion of him as a human being. The Patriots' leaked analysis of him (http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/) had several interesting points that corroborate his uselessness to any NFL team:

QuoteVibe on this guy keeps getting worse. Support staff members are sick of him and ready for him to go. Described as a cocky, me-guy.

Loves football, FBI is high as well. Everything has been pretty well-documented in online articles about the kid, but sources say he's a spoiled brat (grandfather gives him allowance, father bought him luxury car).

Couple of TXTC sources say can't yell/scream at him or he shuts down; has walked away from Kingsbury in the past.

Doesn't study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in '12, never watches film; one source said only time he watched film during '12 was before ALUN.

I know the report has been called a fake, but down here in "his" neck of the woods, this stuff is pretty much circulating underneath the wild fanboi College Station BS manlove for this guy. Also, the Pats are exercising damage control, so of course they'd call it a fake report. Manziel is an arrogant jackass and Cleveland is something of poetic justice for his whiny, bratty self. I think a temper tantrum meltdown à la Ryan Leaf is but a few months away!

Steelgrave

^The guard Houston took is regarded as a "plug and play" lineman, capable of starting immediately. The tight end is said to match what O'Brien was looking for in terms of physicality (big blocker, good hands). The DT is a true nose tackle, a position key to a 3-4 defense and something Houston is short of. I think it's a good draft so far, not splashy with big names after Clowney, but clearly the Houston staff knows the kind of player they want to fit into their system. As far as QB's go, O'Brian is said to be enamored of LSU's Zack Mettenberger, so that may be a name to watch.

I honestly don't know what to think about Manziel. The Patriot's scouting report is pretty damning. I was honestly hoping the Cowboys would take him, simply because he could be the explosive, game-changing type of QB some expect if he is in the right situation. Cleveland has a lot of tools and could be a good fit, however Manziel is not a strong-armed QB and the AFC North requires someone who can toss a ball in strong winds come November. I don't know if Manziel can do that. Personally, I hope Manziel lights it up simply because he is so entertaining to watch. I dunno....I think a spectacular flameout is more likely though, especially if the Patriots report is dead on.

Steelgrave

And Houston went with Tom Savage, QB from Pittsburgh, pro-style passer considered to possibly have a lot of upside with the right coach.

OJsDad

Interesting.  Cincinnati took McCarron.  This is a wake up call for Dalton to etiher get his sh*t together or he'll be benched.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 10, 2014, 12:55:33 PM
And Houston went with Tom Savage, QB from Pittsburgh, pro-style passer considered to possibly have a lot of upside with the right coach.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of that, but Savage had apparently been rising on everyone's draft boards over the last few months. He's no headliner but might be a solid backup to whomever starts this year for us.

Just saw they took a DE and a RB at 177 and 181. The DE I don't know, but Alfred Blue, the RB, had an ACL tear a couple of years ago; otherwise he's supposed to be a solid big back. Not sure it was wise to get someone with ACL issues, but whatever floats their boat.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

post-draft rankings at SI.com  http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/21/nfl-power-rankings-post-2014-nfl-draft/3/

I found this paragraph amusing:

QuoteNot going to sit here and tell the Rams how to run their offense, but ... well, handing off to Tre Mason and letting him run behind Greg Robinson worked out pretty well for Auburn last season. Handing off to Zac Stacy and letting him run behind Greg Robinson is another option. Or giving it to Tavon Austin behind Greg Robinson. I guess the main point here is that Greg Robinson can block.

bayonetbrant

and hey - a videogame reference in the next paragraph!

QuoteThe Falcons' 2013 season was like watching an 8-year-old try to win "Oregon Trail" as the farmer — you knew something would go wrong but the entertainment was in seeing what it might be. By Week 12, after the wagon had tipped over in a river and Julio Jones died of dysentery (I think that's what happened), there was nothing left for Atlanta to do but wait for 2014. The offense will bounce back, if everyone stays healthy. How well will the defense adjust under its new 3-4 scheme?