Star Wars: X-Wing

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Nebulon-B frigate

what scale does those X-wing (and also Armada) miniatures have?
it looks like about 1:500 for the frigate

wait for the day when one nerd -probably a shop-owner- will put a grey-painted slightly curved-element 'mini' the size of the whole shop on the floor and declare it a Death Star-segment  (probably the final approach to the vent in displayed)  :o
(most part will be under plexi and part of the shop floor, to walk over  and only a small part, that with vent, is open to use and place X-Wing minatures to battle it out)

reminding the film set

the X wing first Death Star 'miniature' as a whole would be about 320m diameter ...oh, the Amazon shipping costs for that will be huge, and hard to hide before the wife ;-)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Scale for X-Wing is 1:750.

You can get a 3D bump-textured Death Star trench map for X-Wing but it's pretty pricy.

http://www.jrmini.com/shop/jrmini.php?m=product_list&c=87

BanzaiCat

I've had the X-Wing World Championships on in the background these last couple of days while I'm working. The 2014 championships are on YouTube, but the 'announcers' are godawful terrible and go off on tangents without paying attention to what's going on. Dudes will roll the dice on the table and they're just 'blah blah blah' about something else. The video quality isn't the greatest so you can't see the die results.

I did see one championship vid that was a lot more attentive to what was going on, on the screen, complete with graphics, shield tokens, and the like displayed on the screen so you could keep up with what was going on.

Once I get a good case for my miniatures so I can travel with them I'll start hitting the local weekly thing and doing some write-ups of it.

Silent Disapproval Robot

My group laid a bit of a guilt trip on me about Wave VII stuff  (oh.... you don't want them?  But we got the store to hold a set aside just for you.  They're the only ones left in the store...) so I ended up buying the three small sized ships but didn't bother with the medium sized Bossk ship.   I think the designers are kind of phoning it in at this point. 

The Kihraxz fighter is for the scum and villany faction but it looks a lot like a re-purposed Rebel E-Wing fighter to me.  It does come with some cool abilities though.  I like the card that lets you pull a 180 turn as your extra action.

Here's a side by side with the Rebel E-Wing.

The TIE Punisher is basically a bigger version of the TIE bomber with a bunch of extra cylinders strapped to it.  It has the unbelievably annoying ability to drop bombs in front on it and then barrel-roll off to one side.  If you couple this ability with the card that lets you move first every round, it's a game-breaker in my opinion.  You can fly up, puke out a bunch of cluster mines on an enemy, then roll out of the way and he has no chance at all of evading.

The K-Wing is...I don't know what the hell it is except hideously ugly.  It looks like it should be some sort of heavy missile wagon but it doesn't look like it plays as one.  It's got a special ability to move twice per turn if it eschews firing.  This makes it a highly adept flanker.  Still ugly as sin....

Staggerwing

It looks as if the designers of the K-Wing were channeling the ghost of Claude Dornier while he was dreaming of his flying boats.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I've tried to stay away from the latest stuff, and the Scum and Villany stuff isn't really attracting my attention right now. But I did buy the YT-2400 and another set of dice tonight.  :))

Next will be the Lambda Shuttle and probably that Imperial Raider at some point. I have to hold off now on cases until the end of October. :(

Silent Disapproval Robot

October you say?  Why that'll be just in time for the re-boot of the game based on the new movies.  You can start collecting all over again!

BanzaiCat

Oh Jesus Jumped-up Christ. Great. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

undercovergeek

LongBlade

Maybe what they need to do to counter the TIE Punisher is to allow the Rebels to conduct a Jedi Mind Trick if within X range. If successful the Punisher doesn't barrel roll and instead careens into the mindfield and clears a path for the oncoming ostensible target.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think the way to counter it is to dedicate something like a Y-Wing with ion cannons to do nothing but snipe at it from long range every turn to prevent it from doing anything but drifting.

Silent Disapproval Robot

We tried it out in a quick 100 point per side dogfight today.  The Imperials took the TIE Punisher with the level 6 pilot who has the ability to fire bombs forward and backed him up with 3 level 4 TIE fighters.  I can't remember what all the various add-ons for each ship were but it added up to 100 points.  Most was on the Punisher in the form of bombs, missiles, and torpedoes and the advanced sensors card that allows the Punisher to always move first.

The Rebels took the K-Wing with a level 2 pilot, a dual laser turret, and a bunch of mines and torpedoes; a Y-Wing with a level 6 pilot and an ion cannon turret; and a HWK-290 with a level 2 pilot and that fish faced dude from Return of the Jedi.

The fight took place on a 3'x3' map with 6 asteroid obstacles and it turned out to be a very drawn out affair taking almost 2 hours to finish.  The Y-Wing with the ion cannons really does do a number on the Punisher as it doesn't really have a lot in the way of evasive ability so getting hits on it with a turret was actually fairly easy.  It spent most of the game just drifting slowly across the map.  The K-Wing was able to run interference for the Y-Wing and use its SLAM ability to move twice per turn, cut across the likely path of the TIE fighters, lay down mines, and keep them from swarming the Y-Wing.  Its dual laser turret slowly picked away at the Punisher's shields and hull until the thing finally collided with an asteroid and blew up.  The HWK-290 was pretty much useless, even with an autoblaster turret.  It soaked up some hits from the TIEs and plinked away, occasionally scoring a single hit.

Everyone's firepower was pretty anemic which is why it took so long to finish the game.  The only things with real hitting power were the missiles fired from the front arc of the K-Wing but the TIEs always managed to avoid that arc so the missiles never came into play.  The TIEs were able to score a few hits each turn, but all three Rebel ships started with shields and had strong hulls so were able to weather the fire.  All three Rebel ships had lost their shields and had some hull damage, but nothing serious. 

The Punisher was able to get off one Conner Net (Ion bomb) that caught the Y-Wing and ionized it for two turns.  That's when the TIE fighters were able to do the most damage but the Punisher was almost dead by that point and couldn't do anything to capitalize.   

I think the Imperials would've been much better served going with a few high skill TIE Interceptors or TIE Advanced than the medium skill TIE fighters.  They likely would've been able to get angles on the Y-Wing and tear it apart, freeing the Punisher to deal with the HWK-290 and then they could gang up on the K-Wing.

Interesting ships.  I'm not sure what to make of them just yet.  It costs a lot of points to fully kit out the Punisher and the K-Wing and I think it might be better to spread those points out into a couple of smaller fighters. 

LongBlade

Great AAR.

I have only played X-Wing once, but know enough to follow you.

Maybe the K and Punisher would be better placed in a larger battle where they aren't the primary targets of everything?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think they'd be very potent in a larger scale battle with capital ships.  With the standard 100 point builds, I think they offer up enough different upgrade slots to really allow you to specialize.  I think that might be the key.  Both of us went overboard in our builds and ended up overloading the ships with everything available as it was our first game with them.

BanzaiCat

I was thinking the K-Wing and Punisher (as well as possibly the TIE Bomber and Y-Wing) are more suited to assaulting epic-size ships, such as the Rebel's Tantive IV or the Imperial's Decimator or Raider. But I've yet to get them to the table. I can only imagine the fits that an epic ship would give someone at the table when they lay eyes on it..."'scuse me while I whip this out..."

I know that both players have to accept that epic ships are allowed in the battle...so you can't just whip out a Tantive. Besides, that would be tough to accommodate in a 100-point game since they're so bloody expensive point-wise. The local hobby store told me the guys don't play with epic ships, but he did say I might find someone willing to give it a whirl. I'm going to wait until I get to play a few lower point games before trying that.