Star Wars: X-Wing

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I also got a Feldherr MAXI case for my Tantive IV/YT-2400/Falcon and a few others. I'm expecting it to be awesome. It should be here by Friday.

That's not quite the end of this round...I'm also expecting a TIE Advanced AND the new Core Set for The Force Unleashed by Friday. :-[

I probably should have held off and saved for the Raider and get the 2.0 version of the TIE Advanced fighter, but I couldn't help myself. DARTH VADER, DUUUUDE.

I am purposefully ignoring Armada. No way in hell am I going to get into TWO of these habits. That's like doing meth AND crack. One's plenty.  ;D

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah.  I hear ya.  I just dropped $2K on the first payment for a tooth implant as well.  Thank the short staff for overtime shifts!

I wasn't going to pick up the new core set until after I'd seen the movie but almost everyone else in my local group has already converted and are using the new damage cards (plus the way the new X-Wings fly is pretty god-damned awesome!) so I'm grabbing mine tomorrow.

BanzaiCat

I'm hoping to join up with the local X-Wing gaming group in a couple of weeks, once we're out of rehearsals and my Tuesday nights free up. This is what I'm afraid of, that they're going to be all about the new core set/rules and not want to play the old one. After I've already invested a small fortune over the last many months in this stuff.

Oh well...at least it looks pretty.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 23, 2015, 08:16:02 PM
I'm hoping to join up with the local X-Wing gaming group in a couple of weeks, once we're out of rehearsals and my Tuesday nights free up. This is what I'm afraid of, that they're going to be all about the new core set/rules and not want to play the old one. After I've already invested a small fortune over the last many months in this stuff.

Oh well...at least it looks pretty.

The two sets are fully inter-mixable and inter-changable.  You can download the .pdf version of the new rule set for free from FFG.  However, being FFG and even more money-hungry than Games Workshop, they're demanding that everyone switch over to the new damage decks as of Jan 1, 2016.

BanzaiCat

I guess that demand only applies to tournament play, correct? I can't see how they could demand anyone stop playing the old system.  :D

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  It's only mandatory for tournaments (and the FLGS's obligatory OCD nutcase who will insist upon it but usually not until they start losing.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I got the new core set yesterday.

The new T-70 X-Wing mini is just slightly larger than the T-65 X-Wings from the original and therefore doesn't fit into my pre-cut foam case.  I'll just get the xacto knife out and make a few new cuts.

There are a few differencesbetween the figures.  The engine nacelles have a different shape to them and the wings on the new T-70 model are offset so that the lower two wings are slightly forward of the upper two and the four interlock into two solid wings when folded up.

The new ship comes with 1 more shield than the original and a slightly higher point cost.  It also has a cool new red stress maneuver that allows it to pull a sliding 180° turn.  That should make life a little more frustrating for those damned TIE interceptors.

The new TIE fighters are very similar to the old ones.  The colour scheme is mostly reversed and the wings are slightly smaller and thicker.  That's good as it makes the minis a little more robust and less likely to get broken during play or transport.

The TIEs now have 1 shield and they can also now attain lock-ons.  They call also do the Segnor's loop red stress maneuver that let's them do a 225° offset roll but it's limited to speed 2 turns only.

BanzaiCat

LOL - I still haven't taken my Force Awakens Core Set out of the box. Nor have I taken out the last dozen or so minis I've acquired.  :crazy2:

My intention is to go join the game group next Tuesday night - now that rehearsals are done this week I'll finally have my early week evenings back for other frivolities.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I took part in aa  X-Wing tournament today as part of a wargaming charity event for the local food bank.   It was good as 28 people showed up to play but some guys didn't really take the message about it being "just for fun" to heart.  I think the intention was to have everyone throw together a squadron build that was perhaps a little experimental or a little goofy.  I built a squadron of scum and villainy ships focusing on ion cannons, just to be annoying.   Some guys were focused on winning though and they came in with the usual min/maxed squads. 

I actually didn't do too badly considering my somewhat ridiculous squad.  The tournament consisted of 4 scenarios with surprise objectives.  In addition, you could use cash to buy tickets that would grant you in-game bonuses such as the ability to re-roll dice or repair cards, etc.

I managed to decisively win the first round as the scenario turned out to be a tug of war between an Imperial Raider and a Corellian Corvette.  You got a lot of bonus points if you could knock down the enemy's capital ship and my turret equipped squad excelled at this.  As the capital ships had no shields and couldn't fire back, it was pretty easy.

Things got worse from there.  My second game was against a Rebel squad of one K-Wing, one B-Wing, one Y-Wing, and one A-Wing.  There was a container placed in the middle of the map that was supposed to represent a pizza delivery for the Emperor.  If you grabbed it (by rolling either 3 unmodified hits or 1 crit on 3 dice), your ship picked it up and you'd score points for each round you held onto it.  Your ship was invulnerable but could be made to drop the pizza on the same rolls as listed above.  It came down to my lY-Wing with 1 hull point left vs his Y-Wing with a undamaged hull and 1 shield.  I kept grabbing the pizza box, making me invulnerable and he'd have to make me drop it and this carried on until the round was called on time.  I ended up winning by 6 points.

The third scenario had 6 surprise boxes placed on asteroids.  Each box had 5 HP and if your ship scored the hit that brought the box to zero, you got to draw a random upgrade card from an envelope and use it on your ship, regardless of whether it was normally allowed or not.  Sadly, I went up against one of the guys who really wanted to win.  He fielded a squad of 7 TIE fighters with Howlrunner and flew them in a swarm.  The only box I managed to crack open contained Princess Leia (I'm sure the SJWs would be outraged at such a notion) but I got wiped off the map pretty quickly as there was no way for my three scum ships to get out of the way of all those firing arcs.

We'd been playing for about 8 hours by this point and I was pretty much burnt out.  The final match gave each team a Lambda class shuttle with Vader, the Emperor, and Moff Jarrod on board and there was something about Jarrod staging a coup so if your shuttle took a crit, you could eject Vader or the Emperor and score points.  I wasn't really paying attention at this point and pretty much conceded the match to the Brazilian guy I was up against.

I think my limit is 2 matches in a day.  After that, it feels a bit like work.  Anyway, I placed in the middle of the pack which was fine as the event was for charity and there really wasn't any prize for winning other than bragging rights and a trophy.  There were a good number of prizes handed out at the end in a raffle format.  Prior to the start of the tournament, you could buy tickets and stick as many of them as you liked into a draw bag for each prize.  I ended up buying fifteen tickets and I stuck one in the bag for an IG-2000 miniature, 1 for a black felt X-Wing dice bag, and 13 for a $20 gift certificate from the FLGS that focuses on wargaming and miniatures.

I didn't get the gift certificate despite having 13 of the 16 tickets in the bag but I did win a dice bag and the IG-2000. 

BanzaiCat

Congrats SDR. The IG-2000 is nice but it's one I don't have yet, surprisingly.

I still haven't gotten out to the game store unfortunately.  :-\

LongBlade

Still sounds fun, but eight hours of gaming is more than enough.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BanzaiCat

I found an AI for this game...I haven't checked it out yet but the guy that posted it says it's very challenging.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/875898/web-based-applet-x-wing-ai