An Idiots Guide To Losing Your CV's Before 1942: WiTP:AE KyzBP vs UCG

Started by KyzBP, June 22, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on November 05, 2015, 12:11:33 PM
It's always coldest before dawn! I think even if Arctic Monkey fails it may be able to pull just enough away that you can start to stem the offensive.

I hope it does something, Rifles.  My biggest fear is it getting blown out of the water, by air, before anyone can land.  I think I have enough planes, with my best pilots, on those carriers to provide cover though. 

OpSec is the key.  The troops won't have their "Future Objective" changed from Rabual until they push away from Dutch Harbor.  I'm still hoping Geek may think something is headed towards Rabual and keeps his CVs down south a little while longer.  I just launched a bunch of supply ships towards the South Pacific.  His subs may spot these and and report back that there are, indeed, many ships headed that way.  The presence of my 2 CVs near Palmyra should add to the myth, especially once they launch the equivalent of 4 CV's worth of bombers at Palmyra or Geek warships.

I'm dying to know what he's thinking.

BanzaiCat

JasonPratt

Have you been risking any further recon in the AM operational area at all?

Also, have you read The Thousand Mile War yet? Because damn, you're about to beat that drum even harder than they did, and you might appreciate the comparative perspective.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 05, 2015, 06:23:57 PM
Have you been risking any further recon in the AM operational area at all?

Also, have you read The Thousand Mile War yet? Because damn, you're about to beat that drum even harder than they did, and you might appreciate the comparative perspective.

Thanks for the book suggestion, Jason.  I'll pick that up after I finish Flyboys.

The only recon I've done is loading the area with subs and hoping to pick up a random radio transmission or spot any shipping in the area.  Once the invasion force is 2 turns out I'll get some PBY's and CA based aircraft to try and grab me some info.  If it looks like I have no chance then I'll turn the ships around.  If it looks favorable or if I'm going in blind then it's game on with fingers crossed.

Staggerwing

Are you short on transports? if not and you can stand to lose a few old ones you could try a feint against some Geekanese-held island down south just before kicking off AM. Put a very small number of troops on each transport if possible just so any action reports back to Geek show a few casualties to sell the ruse.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

KyzBP

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 05, 2015, 07:25:24 PM
Are you short on transports? if not and you can stand to lose a few old ones you could try a feint against some Geekanese-held island down south just before kicking off AM. Put a very small number of troops on each transport if possible just so any action reports back to Geek show a few casualties to sell the ruse.

It wouldn't be a bad plan except troop transports (AP's) are at a premium for me right now.  I barely have enough to try AM, and would prefer a few more so I can't spare any.  Keep the ideas coming though. O0

KyzBP

January 18th, 1942

The day/morning begins with a little predawn bombardment.
First Palmyra.

Then Baker.

I have to believe that the troops on those 2 islands are wishing they were in China right now.  I don't have any way of reinforcing Palmyra
or taking back Baker right now but I will make them costly to hold.

As I feared, Geek continues to land troops at Sabang.

I don't know if I would've been able to hold Sabang but without those troops I wasted I can almost guarantee I can't.

I am bringing a couple squadrons of Hurricanes to Point Blair. 

They may end up at Rangoon.  The airfield at PB is full.  I need more engineers to expand these bases.

Soerabaja continues to get pounded by air.

This was one of 3 or 4 raids to hit the city.  Given how fast my major cities keep falling, I expect this one to go soon too.

Here one of our AK's is sunk.

The fact that he sunk an empty AK means little.  What matters is I think I can account for all his carriers.  None of them are anywhere
near the AM AO.  If he does begin sending them North, they should have to refuel and repair before engaging me.  I don't think there's
a better time for AM.

A quick peek at the oft ignored China:

That about does it for China.  Actually, I need to start focusing here.  If I can keep him busy here then here then he can't send troops
elsewhere.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 07, 2015, 09:40:45 AM
Operation "Journey To The West" aka "Chinese Monkey"?

>:D
If he doesn't come after India soon, it will be Journey To The East as I have a lot of troops in Rangoon just licking their chops.

KyzBP

January 19th, 1942

I was so close to getting some aircraft into the New Hebrides area.

Right now all I have are scout planes in the area and there are too few of them for me to "Naval Attack" the PBY's.
If I ever get anything through to Suva of Pagp Pago I may be able to base hop them to where they can do some good.

The American subs are finally starting to hit stuff.

I hope this is a future trend.  They haven't contributed much so far.  Many of them will be supporting Arctic Monkey for awhile so it may be
even longer before I can fully unleash them.

Arctic Monkey setting sail for the staging area at Dutch Harbor.

There are also a small compliment of ships leaving from Pearl and Prince Rupert.  I'm still uneasy about this.  I wish I had a few more units and
a few more ships.  I imagine every commander thinks the same thing though.

Here's a list of the ships Geek sunk this turn.

It still seems impossible that I can continue to absorb these kind of losses and still have a chance at winning the war.

This little task force of his has been raiding the coastline for a few days but manages to get back to port before the sun comes up.

I'm going to pull all the nearby ships into port and set all my aircraft to Naval Attack in hopes that he strays too far North and can't get back
in time.

I was trying to get whatever I could out of Soerabaja .

This was one of about 5 or 6 groups to sortie out and try to get away.  They're probably not going to make.  I tried to combine ships
of similar speed so no one ship held back the rest.  Stay tuned to see if any make it to safety.

If they can't find safe harbor they won't be able to return to Soerabaja either.

Another base down with barely a fight.  I wonder if there's a messed up game mechanic or if I'm defending cities using the worst possible
unit combinations/tactics.  I find it hard to believe these things fall so fast.

I tried a little blind port attack.

Sadly there were no ships in port.  I'm switching these guys over to Naval Attack in hopes they can inflict some damage on those
previously mentioned task force ships.

I apologize if these little snippets get boring.

I just never seem to tire of watching PBY's damage/sink unsuspecting Geek ships.  I really hope they frustrate him at least a bit.

It looks like the extra time the boys at Clark Field were allowed was put to good use.

I hope that put a dent into his troops.  Clark is probably my best defended base in the Philippines.  If he continues to bang his
head up against it, then he will be much weaker when he comes after Manila.  The defenders at Clark are also buying more time
for Manila to prepare defenses.

BanzaiCat

KyzBP

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 07, 2015, 01:23:20 PM
Nothing boring about your snippets, KyzBP.  O0

Thanks BC.  I always wonder what people really want to see in these things.  I tend to post the things that are favorable to me.  I figure you can go to Geek's AAR to see how the war is really going.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

KyzBP

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 07, 2015, 03:03:46 PM
How long does it take you, on average, to run a full turn?
Between watching the results and then working my way through the turn itself is around an hour.  It seems to be getting shorter as Geek captures more bases. :tickedoff:

The AAR takes a bit longer.  I don't know if Geek keeps his up to date but mine is about 2 days behind.  I hope to catch up this weekend though.  If I have more time today I'll post another day.