Halloween

Started by besilarius, September 10, 2019, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

And now, the muppets

Cue Animal and his incessant drummin.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Dammit Carl!

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

I really wish we had TCM.

JasonPratt

Behold! -- a nice survey of werewolves in film from pre-30s until 2019! Including a lot I've never heard of. Mainly focuses on visual design.

Starting back in 1913 to 1935's Hammer classic Werewolf of London (the oldest surviving 'true' werewolf film, also the first one in sound).

40s, starting with the classic Hammer Wolf Man

50s. I have to say if "Daughter of Dr. Jeckyl" counts (I had never heard of that one), so should the Abbot/Costello vs Hyde film. Maybe the distinction is that a proper term is never used there (unlike Daughter) but Hyde is very obviously a wolfman in that film.

60s. First colorized film werewolves, but mostly still b/w.

70s. A ton of things here I'd never heard of, including the first anime film werewolf. Also one of my favorites, The Beast Must Die -- a combination of Most Dangerous Game and murder mystery which works reaaaly well, despite the ultra-low budget. I didn't realize the 41 Wolfman got a direct remake in 1979.

80s. Time for special effects to jump by leaps and bounds! (Also basketball.)

90s. Not so many film werewolves here as in prior decades for a while... Surprising how many look like the worst 70s and 80s efforts tho.

21st century so far: 45 minutes! Filming technology and distribution has advanced to the point that there are tons of low-budget micro-releases. But also relatively low budget entries like Dog Soldiers and (at least the first) Ginger Snaps can look good.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

"American Werewolf in London" was one of my all-time favorites.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

The AFI theater in Silver Spring, Md, is going to show The Exorcist on it's really big screen  on the Saturday before Halloween.

https://www.facebook.com/gore.devol/videos/2608752782504596/?t=1

Release the pea soup.

"With your eyes closed?"

Gusington

The Exorcist, for me, is the most frightening movie of all time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The first time I saw it was at an almost empty drive-in theater with thunder storms closing in.  :hide:  I nearly drove off with the speaker still attached because I didn't want to roll down my car window.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Speaking of frightening, check out the American Horror Story series. I have watched to first two seasons (House and Asylum) and they were excellent, very scary. I got halfway through the third season (Coven) but did not like it as much. Half way through Roanoke now and I have to say it is excellent. Each season is stand alone but some actors return each year and take on different roles. Supposedly each season will eventually be revealed to be linked.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I never paid much attention to them thinking they were kind of a gimmick to get young people to watch. Maybe I'll have to adjust my thinking. Thanks Gus.  O0

al_infierno

American Horror Story is a bit like horror fast food to me.  And I mean that respectfully because I love fast food  :))  It's cheap, to-the-point, and gets the job done right away.  It does exactly what it says on the tin.  The seasons tend to fall apart into incomprehensibility partway through, but they're wild and fun rides nonetheless!

Has anyone checked out Hereditary?  An incredibly well done genre-movie, very clever and disturbing throughout.  Interesting mix of real-life horror (i.e. dealing with senseless tragedy and loss) plus your classic surreal, occult horror.  It has its plot holes and contrivances, but nothing that was too distracting from the experience.  I thought it was a refreshing take on the "spooky stuff happening to a family in their house" formula of horror.  Strongly recommended.

Gus, given your comments earlier in the thread about demonology I would recommend checking this one out  O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

I've been watching, "The Terror: Infamy" on AMC. Not anything like the first season and only about 4 outta 10 on the scary scale if you ask me. If I want to watch something REALLY scary, I dig out my old wedding video.  :hide:

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

Gusington

Hereditary - is probably the best horror film I have seen in at least 10 years. I literally shat myself...very well done. Shocking even. I loved it! But don't know if I could watch it again. It messed me up for a few nights.

Halfway through American Horror Story: Roanoke and it is so intense...also very well done. Absolutely recommend it but be warned it has intense, bloody violence and is absolutely NOT ok for kids. Probably not good for queasy adults either.

But if you love history and horror...there is nothing better.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd