il2 - TANK CREW - Infantry are coming to this tank simulator in the il2 engine

Started by Destraex, July 08, 2020, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

That's a great video Jarhead. Foxholes with men popping their heads up and everything.
Well here is hoping that Tank Crew gets the attention it deserves for the infantry dimension of this stuff.
I am a bit sceptical but I have wanted a reason to pull the trigger on this one for some time in any case.

Playing it, it's a little more simplistic than I had hoped, but in line with il2 BOS for being an intermediate sim of whatever their vehicles they do so that they can also fill the battlefield as well I assume. I am still assessing things though.

Anybody got any good sources for how the shells show up like rocket motors from behind? I'd love some info on what countries put tracer on all their AP? I assume all of them did in ww2? Was it done for HE as well?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

smithcorp

Quote from: Destraex on July 11, 2020, 10:40:33 AM

Playing it, it's a little more simplistic than I had hoped, but in line with il2 BOS for being an intermediate sim of whatever their vehicles they do so that they can also fill the battlefield as well I assume. I am still assessing things though.

Anybody got any good sources for how the shells show up like rocket motors from behind? I'd love some info on what countries put tracer on all their AP? I assume all of them did in ww2? Was it done for HE as well?

Have you tried it in VR Destraex? I have heard its clunky in VR and i haven't tried it with the headset yet.

Destraex

Hey Smithcorp. I don't own VR because my PC is too old to cope with it I think. I have trackIR though.
I used mouse and keyboard and since you are looking around through the gunners sight. It's not a problem thus far.

What's your take on Tank Crew in general?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: smithcorp on July 12, 2020, 03:47:02 AM
Quote from: Destraex on July 11, 2020, 10:40:33 AM

Have you tried it in VR Destraex? I have heard its clunky in VR and i haven't tried it with the headset yet.

I only play it in VR. Ive posted impressions here and in the IL2 BoX thread...tldr; it's revolutionary. I love it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

For the record: I have driven (and fired) a Sherman tank (in real life). They ARE clunky.

But totally cool. :)
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Destraex

Jarhead what do you think of Tank Crew compared to Post Scriptum tanks? My buddies reaction to Tank Crew was that it was fun but that Post Scriptum in tank interaction seems better. I personally think he was confusing my test mission as being all he would get from the simulation. He was especially not impressed by the damage modelling on the outside of enemy tanks.

I managed to get a "basic proof of concept coop mission" made for a buddy and myself.

Toonces

Quote from: solops on July 12, 2020, 02:35:22 PM
For the record: I have driven (and fired) a Sherman tank (in real life). They ARE clunky.

Ummmm...you can't just throw that out and leave it there like that, man!   :knuppel2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on July 13, 2020, 03:16:51 PM
Quote from: solops on July 12, 2020, 02:35:22 PM

Ummmm...you can't just throw that out and leave it there like that, man!   :knuppel2:

Only in Texas...

https://www.drivetanks.com/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Yup, not far from me. I was out hunting hogs one night and I kept hearing this occasional distant thumping. Mystified me. I asked several of my neighbors about it over the next few weeks, inquiring if they were doing any dirt work, as it sounded sort of like a bulldozer or some other piece of heavy equipment had revved its engine and then later dropped its bucket or blade...Thump! Finally, one of them looked at me and said " I bet you heard those tanks down by Uvalde."  Sure enough, that was it. My wife came across a discount deal and gave me a package to drive and shoot a Sherman, plus some 50 cal action for Christmas! My son got to shoot a flamethrower. I asked the guys there about the night in question and they said yes, that was their doing. They had a special party that night for some people. Our place is about 25 miles away. The wind must have been just right.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: solops on July 13, 2020, 06:53:09 PM
Yup, not far from me. I was out hunting hogs one night and I kept hearing this occasional distant thumping. Mystified me. I asked several of my neighbors about it over the next few weeks, inquiring if they were doing any dirt work, as it sounded sort of like a bulldozer or some other piece of heavy equipment had revved its engine and then later dropped its bucket or blade...Thump! Finally, one of them looked at me and said " I bet you heard those tanks down by Uvalde."  Sure enough, that was it. My wife came across a discount deal and gave me a package to drive and shoot a Sherman, plus some 50 cal action for Christmas! My son got to shoot a flamethrower. I asked the guys there about the night in question and they said yes, that was their doing. They had a special party that night for some people. Our place is about 25 miles away. The wind must have been just right.

Lucky Devil. Almost makes me wish I was USA (American means the whole north and south)..... almost.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: solops on July 13, 2020, 06:53:09 PM

I have a similar story about flying in a B-17 for my birthday.

Was living in El Paso, TX, near the airport.

Walking my dog early one morning and I hear the most monstrous rumbling of a plane engine that I've ever heard - mind you, I've been around F-18s, F-16, F-15, M1A1/A2, M2 Brad, and all kinds of military hardware. I also lived near the airport, so hearing plane engines was normal - but not THIS one. This was an earth shaking guttural engine sound, one that I've never heard before. I searched the skies and finally saw it: a massive B-17.

I got home and immediately did a Google search for B-17 and El Paso, and found a traveling B-17 crew that was offering rides. They also had a P-51, but it was about $1200 for a 30 minute flight.

The B-17 flight was expensive, and very short, but an awesome experience. Once in a lifetime.

It also made me appreciate the bomber crews-
The cabin was very small, mostly made of wood and sheet metal. The ride was bumpy and crammed. I would not want to fight in that thing.

Sir Slash

Some years ago we had a fly-in at a local airport that featured a B-17, B-24, Me-109, and Mustang. I got the same feeling inside the B-17, 'How the hell could anybody operate in this cramped plane much less a whole crew'? Then I went in the B-24 and had all the room I needed and more, she was huge inside. Flying Boxcar indeed!  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Truly once in a lifetime experiences.  That's really cool guys!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Father Ted

Not at the same level, but I had a similar experience to explore a Lancaster.  Sitting in the pilot's seat and waggling the stick and seeing the ailerons move as I did so gave me goosebumps. Which sounds a bit silly, I suppose, but it was a thing.