Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Skwerl

I just picked this up.  I'm going to fire it up this evening!

Rayfer

Quote from: Skwerl on September 30, 2016, 11:44:17 AM

The sale is on for another 23 hours or so. I'm still on the fence. I'm enjoying Stellaris but from what I've read Polaris Sector plays differently.

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on September 30, 2016, 12:37:49 PM
Quote from: Skwerl on September 30, 2016, 11:44:17 AM

The sale is on for another 23 hours or so. I'm still on the fence. I'm enjoying Stellaris but from what I've read Polaris Sector plays differently.

Very differently.... at that price it's a steal and well worth it just to check it out.
Do IT!
:D

FarAway Sooner

Now that the deal's over, I'd chime in also in support of this.  I've only played it about ~30 hours at this point, but it's a novel and engaging format.

Planet economics are pretty simple, but also sufficiently novel that you don't grow tired of them immediately.  And the micro-management is kept to a minimum for most of your planets, which leaves you free to focus on ship design, assembling task forces and invasion fleets, and fighting battles!

solops

Fabulous game! The best 4x on the market IMO. It is focused and fun, an empire building wargame. From comments by the developer, there are still lots of improvements coming in additional patches and he has some DLC planned. I find it more of a challenge than modded Distant Worlds, which was my previous favorite. I much prefer it to Stellaris, which is a very different type of game. The jury is still out on Predestination, Pocket Space Empires and Stars in Shadow, all in early access and all of which I have. I never saw anything about MOO4 to make me want it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Rayfer

The last two posts have me regretful I didn't get it during the recent sale. But there's always the holiday sales that aren't that far off now.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on October 03, 2016, 03:10:29 PM
The last two posts have me regretful I didn't get it during the recent sale. But there's always the holiday sales that aren't that far off now.

You mean nothing in the 29 pages that preceded those two posts was enough to convince you?  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

The Steam Holiday sales will be coming soon!!!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2016, 04:01:12 PM

You mean nothing in the 29 pages that preceded those two posts was enough to convince you?  :crazy2:

Counselor, I plead guilty as charged.

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on October 03, 2016, 12:48:43 PM
Fabulous game!...The jury is still out on Predestination, Pocket Space Empires and Stars in Shadow, all in early access and all of which I have. I never saw anything about MOO4 to make me want it.

I agree.  Polaris is fun.  I picked up Stars in Shadow last week.  Yes it does need some more work done to it however it's not a bad early access title.  It's a simple yet engaging space 4x.  Most exciting to me though is the fact that combat is turn based!  Do you understand what I just said?  Space combat in a space 4x game made in the 21st century is turn based!  'nuff said.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

Quote from: W8taminute on October 04, 2016, 06:03:21 AM
Quote from: solops on October 03, 2016, 12:48:43 PM
Fabulous game!...The jury is still out on Predestination, Pocket Space Empires and Stars in Shadow, all in early access and all of which I have. I never saw anything about MOO4 to make me want it.

I agree.  Polaris is fun.  I picked up Stars in Shadow last week.  Yes it does need some more work done to it however it's not a bad early access title.  It's a simple yet engaging space 4x.  Most exciting to me though is the fact that combat is turn based!  Do you understand what I just said?  Space combat in a space 4x game made in the 21st century is turn based!  'nuff said.

I missed the sale on Polaris Sector...hope there's going to be a good deal on steam next.

Horizon (2014) has also turn - based combat.

Jarhead0331

I've said it before, but for me, the single over-riding factor that makes PS so enjoyable and so unique is the manner in which it manages to capture the epic thrills of running an intergalactic empire. No other game has achieved such an overwhelming sense of scale and scope in terms of time and space. It takes years to build spacecraft, to move them across the stars, to reach new worlds and colonize them, to research advanced technologies...it takes years and the great expenditure of sums of money, minerals and manpower to construct invasion fleets and ground forces, to stage them, and send them into the void to successfully invade an enemy.  A loss of such a fleet can be truly devastating and set plans back decades or more.  Wars can frequently span centuries! This is how I believe space warfare will be, and how it should be depicted in a grand space 4x game.   

Also, because technology takes so long to research, and because so many of the technologies are interesting, unique and effective, I feel like the late game never really stagnates. I am always unlocking a new technology that opens up new strategies and new ship and combat capabilities.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2016, 09:22:20 AM
I've said it before, but for me, the single over-riding factor that makes PS so enjoyable and so unique is the manner in which it manages to capture the epic thrills of running an intergalactic empire. No other game has achieved such an overwhelming sense of scale and scope in terms of time and space. It takes years to build spacecraft, to move them across the stars, to reach new worlds and colonize them, to research advanced technologies...it takes years and the great expenditure of sums of money, minerals and manpower to construct invasion fleets and ground forces, to stage them, and send them into the void to successfully invade an enemy.  A loss of such a fleet can be truly devastating and set plans back decades or more.  Wars can frequently span centuries! This is how I believe space warfare will be, and how it should be depicted in a grand space 4x game.   

Also, because technology takes so long to research, and because so many of the technologies are interesting, unique and effective, I feel like the late game never really stagnates. I am always unlocking a new technology that opens up new strategies and new ship and combat capabilities.

+1. Well said.

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2016, 09:22:20 AM

I like the way you describe it and it sounds really cool.

The main reason i haven't bought it yet (but will at some point) are the limitations in the victory conditions.