Matrix 2020 Holiday Sale

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 24, 2020, 06:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellfish6

Just picked up War in the Pacific AE for 80% off. Thanks for the tipper. I'd been reading AARs for the game lately and while it looks way too involved for me, I wanted to give it a chance.

Sir Slash

I like Monster Wargames, but it was too much for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

I think Jejo68 and Atilla60 recently finished their game of WitP AE --- and it literally took them years!!!  :wow:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Toonces

@Hellfish6, I've been working through the stock Guadalcanal scenario and I'm quite enjoying it.  Turns move much more quickly since there are much fewer units and a much smaller area with which to be concerned.  The focus is really tight.

I'd recommend starting with that if you're new to the game before jumping into the full campaign. 

There are also a couple of smaller scenarios available for download; I posted links to them a while back in the main WitP:AE thread here on Grogheads.  I can't remember where I got them from at this point but a search should turn them up.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

I started the Aleutian scenario. It seemed a bit more manageable and I know almost nothing about that theater of the war. Once I'm comfortable with the game, I'll move on to Guadalcanal. I want to make a battleship god out of Ching Lee, just like he was in real life.

I did learn you can't alt-tab the game without screwing up all the fonts. Uff... 11-year-old hex games.

Elvis

Quote from: Skoop on November 27, 2020, 01:28:00 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on November 26, 2020, 03:13:05 PM
Quote from: Elvis on November 26, 2020, 03:08:24 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on November 26, 2020, 12:57:29 PM
Interesting that they have Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 on sale.

BFC (the developer) was always vehemently opposed to participating in Steam-like game sales. Quite a bit of a change combined with being on Steam in the first place. I hope good things come from this.

When we first released Shock Force 2 on Steam we mirrored the discounted price on the Battlefront website. We've done the same now (and actually will every time there is a Matrix and Steam sale).

Also, if the game is purchased through Matrix (or Battlefront) it gives you Steam access as well.  If it continues to prove worthwhile we expect other Combat Mission titles to become available on Steam.

Sounds good to me. A real A/B test of the two pricing styles. Best of luck.

So the BF site discount for former owners of SF1 is the same as the discount offered on steam sale for SF2 ?

No. People who owned all of the original series can get everything Upgraded to CMSF2 for only $35 (compared to about $81 during the sale and $115 normally) . A lot less than the full package on either our site or Steam's. Same with the base game. If you only have the original base game it is only $15 to Upgrade it to CMSF2 (compared to $42 during the sale and $60 normally). Those Upgrades can only be done through the Battlefront site but they do give you access to the Steam version too.

airboy

I picked up Shadow Empires.  Read most of the manual before purchasing.  Now to actually figure it out in play.

jamus34

It's been mentioned but DasTactic has a great "Let's Learn" series for SE on YouTube.
Insert witty comment here.

Crossroads

Not a sales item, but I had no idea this was in the making: Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive

https://twitter.com/Matrix_Wargames/status/1333093795613855749

:notworthy:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

FINALLY, 2020 has produced something to live through it for.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 29, 2020, 12:16:37 PM
Indeed! Also, I think I saw an advert for Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm nearing completion as well  :smitten:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

nelmsm

Quote from: Crossroads on November 29, 2020, 12:42:56 PM
Indeed! Also, I think I saw an advert for Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm nearing completion as well  :smitten:
Flashpoint Campaign news caught my eye as well. Been waiting for that one!

Crossroads

Quote from: nelmsm on November 29, 2020, 08:38:59 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on November 29, 2020, 12:42:56 PM
Flashpoint Campaign news caught my eye as well. Been waiting for that one!

Here's the latest regarding FPC:SS:

https://twitter.com/Matrix_Wargames/status/1333453711763529732

WallysWorld

I finally bought FoG: Empires along with the DLC using my 44% off anniversary coupon on top of the sale. Excellent price. Good game so far.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Toonces

You know, I might have to give FoG a serious look.  I find myself playing less Total War because I just get overwhelmed with all the clicky-clicky during the battles.  I might groove on the slower turn-based pace of FoG.

If I got Empires, I'd have to get FoG so I could play out the tactical battles.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs