Sneaky Release of Nobunaga's Ambition

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

It's free to play this weekend.

Just saying.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Gusington

^Me too for BF1 and Civ VI. Stay strong.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

I still haven't done enough with the previous Nobunaga's release.

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2016, 07:45:20 PM
I thought you'd never ask. You didn't buy it yet did you??
Not yet, no.  Even with the 20% off promotion, the game's relatively high price point (combined with the series' mixed reaction) is enough to stay my hand for the moment.  (Not to mention which I'm sufficiently busy/enthralled with Stellaris and Warhammer TW to not want to play much else right now anyway.) 

That being said... 

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 27, 2016, 08:48:03 PM
It's free to play this weekend.

Just saying.  :coolsmiley:
I hate you, Jason.  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on October 28, 2016, 05:32:24 PM

Neither have I.  I just bounced right off it for some reason.  Same with RotTK XIII.

I should really go back to both one day.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on October 28, 2016, 07:18:43 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 28, 2016, 05:32:24 PM

Neither have I.  I just bounced right off it for some reason.  Same with RotTK XIII.

I should really go back to both one day.

I had actually put a number of hours into my Mori campaign, and was enjoying it.

But some other new 'shiny' caught my attention, as so often happens, and my concentration was scattered to the winds.

Lieutenant Manager 2015.   :))

jomni

"Lieutenant Manager" indeed.

This game has all the elements of the old while adding a new layer?  If so then the old one is redundant / obsolete.

This one gets more negative ratings in Steam than the original for some reason.  The original was overwhelmingly positive.  But no one made a serious review on justifying the negative rating. In the forums some are talking about the price.  Should have been an expansion rather than stand-alone. Cheaper for owners of Sphere of Influence.

JasonPratt

Yeah, I doubt I'll rebuy at full price, so no time soon, but Koei has made tons of money releasing full priced standalone upgrades of their various product lines, so I can't argue that the strategy isn't successful!

I played one campaign of the original (to the bitter, bitter end), but haven't gone back with other new and old shiny things to distract me.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

AndyBrown

Quote from: jomni on October 29, 2016, 07:02:00 PM
This one gets more negative ratings in Steam than the original for some reason.  The original was overwhelmingly positive.  But no one made a serious review on justifying the negative rating. In the forums some are talking about the price.  Should have been an expansion rather than stand-alone. Cheaper for owners of Sphere of Influence.

I understand that most of the negative ratings come from the earlier Japanese and Chinese releases which apparently contained some show-stopping bugs (long since fixed).

A "retainer" subgame has been added whereby, in addition to doing all the stuff you used to do in SoI, you now also have to grow and administer your own, personal domain.  This is a completely separate sub-game from unifying the country.  You can choose only to play as a retainer or lesser clan official, in which case you contribute to your AI controlled Daimyo's victory in proportion to your personal success.  If you decide to accept the various promotions, you will eventually end up running your own clan as per SoI (while still having to manage your personal domain, I think).

The tactical battles have been considerably improved.  Maps are more immersive, sieges are now fought out in the tactical sub-game, naval battles have been added, there are some new, formation mechanics.

I haven't spent much time with it but I don't regret paying the asking price for Ascension.  It is such a big step forward over SoI that calling it merely an expansion and bitching about the price is, IMO, unjustified and small-minded. YMMV of course.

Andy Brown

Grim.Reaper

Blast from the past:)

Cheapest I have ever seen this before, actually likely going to jump at it finally:)  $23.99

https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/download-nobunagas-ambition-sphere-of-influence/5012401

Other Koei titles (including Ascension version of this game) in same price range....
https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/pc/onsale?price=1

mikeck

I loved the game; particularly the roles generals played. Assigning them to complete various tasks isn't unique, but trying to convince those in other clans to defect or even scumbag their own clan is. Working on an enemy general and convincing them to turn their army around when yours comes marching and then marrying him into your family as promised is pretty cool
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Well, looks like it wasn't meant to be.....Direct2Drive only accepts PayPal payments, which I actually prefer using.  But their system keeps saying my PayPal account is "not verified", which is not correct according to my account and I have made thousands of purchases using it without any issue.  They don't list any other direct ways to make purchases such as credit cards.

Oh well, these companies make it hard for me to try and give them money...their lost:)

CJReich46

I kept watching Baz Battles about the Sengoku Jidai,

and then started thinking about this game...so I got it.  :buck2:

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose