The weapons of your service

Started by Keunert, April 13, 2012, 01:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

Jarhead what was your function? are those machineguns mounted on some vehicle or did you have to take them with yourself?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Centurion40

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 14, 2012, 06:07:36 AM

This certainly isn't ALL of them, but probably my favorite three.

And all in one photo!

Which reminds me, 7.62 GPMG:

Any time is a good time for pie.

Pinetree

Here's the main ones I trained on:
IW Steyr:

C9 Minimi:

M79 GL:

M72:

I was section grenadier so got to carry both steyr and M79. Pepper-potting (fire and movement drills) was a PITA as the damn '79 always bounced on my back , no matter how tight I made the sling..
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Centurion40

Quote from: Keunert on April 14, 2012, 06:26:35 AM
Jarhead what was your function? are those machineguns mounted on some vehicle or did you have to take them with yourself?

You will have noted that his user name is Jarhead0331.  In the USMC, 0331 is an occupation code.  According to Wiki:

The U.S. Marine Corps begins by separating all jobs into "occupational fields" (OccFld), in which no distinction is made between officers and enlisted Marines. The fields are numbered from 01 to 99 and include general categories (Intelligence, Infantry, Logistics, Public Affairs, Ordnance, etc.) that specific jobs fall under.

Each field contains multiple MOS's, each designated by a four-digit numerical indicator and a job title. For example, the infantry field (03) has ten enlisted classifications: Rifleman (MOS 0311), Riverine Assault Craft (MOS 0312), Light Armored Vehicle Crewman (MOS 0313), Scout Sniper (MOS 0317), Reconnaissance Man (MOS 0321), Machine Gunner (MOS 0331), Mortarman (MOS 0341), Assaultman (MOS 0351), Antitank Assault Guided Missileman (MOS 0352), and Infantry Unit Leader (MOS 0369).

Which would indicate that our Jarhead was a Machine Gunner.  No surprise, eh?

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

I knew that. Only because JH told me several years ago.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Jarhead was also the Marine Corps Bouncer, keeping out undesirables. Similar to his role here :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

LOL...you guys are so silly.  :P

@Keunert, the SAW and the 240Golf are carried in the field and used mounted on vehicles...the Ma Deuce was always mounted.  It weighs about 80lbs if I recall. 

That little guy posted by Centurion is actually a 1919a4, light machine gun. Its a .30cal.  I actually own one and have it for sale.  It can be yours with the USGI tripod and T&E device for a steal.  I'll even throw in an ammo linker!  PM me if interested!  ;)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Centurion40

We used 7.62... same thing, really.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Holy crap that slug looks awesome!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on April 25, 2012, 06:57:36 PM

They are not very effective on polar bears. The 40 mm bloop with a bean bag or rubber bullet is more convincing to them to not try and eat you.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Windigo on April 25, 2012, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 25, 2012, 06:57:36 PM

They are not very effective on polar bears. The 40 mm bloop with a bean bag or rubber bullet is more convincing to them to not try and eat you.

Then it's a good thing that Polar Bears aren't joining any of the anti-globalist protests.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

I suspect you could hit a polar bear with a shitload of those slugs before you'd slow him down. Does anybody remember the liquid filled Remington slugs?  I think they were banned in Canada - I betcha those'd be nasty !