Any solitaire Vietnam games?

Started by JudgeDredd, June 01, 2015, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on June 02, 2015, 05:44:17 AM
"A week in Hell: the battle of Hue" is the game that you want (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/60029/week-hell-battle-hue).  I have "Phantom Fury" that uses the same system and covers the 2nd battle of Fallujah.  It's a fun game that often comes down to the last few rolls of the dice to see if you're going to win or not.  It is solitaire or co-op only.  Problem is, the game is recently out of print but I think that they made another short print run for it- I don't recall.  You might have to dig around a bit to land a copy.

Thread says it's available in ziplock format here:

http://www.battlesmagazine.com/eshop/ziplock/our_ziplocks.php

Mad Russian

The old AH Fire Power had a Vietnam variant in it.

My upcoming game series will cover Vietnam as well. I'm looking for playtesters if you're interested.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Nefaro

Evidently there's a solitaire hex & counter game in one of the latest Modern War magazines.  Modern War 18: Green Beret: Vietnam

About:

QuoteGreen Beret: Vietnam (Solitaire) gives you command of a Green Beret team in the Central Highlands before and during the Vietnam War. Your duty is to lead your men on a variety of randomly generated missions (representing orders direct from high command), choose weapons and equipment that are best suited for the mission, decide on how to posture your team, plan your approach, and a method of extraction.

However, it is not quite that simple; you must choose weapons and equipment that do not expose your team, and do not cause unintended escalation (if the US military must divert regular combat units to your area to quell enemy activity, the value of the Green Berets will be called into question by the "traditionalists" at the Pentagon); Your goal is to disrupt the enemy's freedom of action in your area of operations with a minimal "footprint", and minimal cost.

Sounds really interesting, especially for a small magazine game.

Saw it on the newly arrived list at CSI, even though it's listed as out of stock now:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/214298

Barthheart

Quote from: Mad Russian on June 08, 2015, 06:29:06 PM

My upcoming game series will cover Vietnam as well. I'm looking for playtesters if you're interested.

Good Hunting.

MR

Are testing on VASSAL? I might be up for that.

Gator Skin

A WEEK IN HELL is great and shares its strength and weakness with PHANTOM LEADER. Weakness: limited replayability. Strength: everything else!

Mad Russian

Quote from: Barthheart on June 09, 2015, 07:02:25 AM
Quote from: Mad Russian on June 08, 2015, 06:29:06 PM

Good Hunting.

MR

Are testing on VASSAL? I might be up for that.

The series covers from 7 July 1937 through the near future. I have several different Vassal modules to reflect the different time periods of combat. There is one for Jungle that covers Vietnam combat. Just one set of rules so that makes it easy to learn. All the playtesting is done on Vassal; I don't have physical copies of the games.

Anyone that's interested can give me a shout.

Good Hunting.

MR

weateallthepies

First Team: Vietnam might be worth a look:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8461/first-team-vietnam

Rules and vassal module are available so you could give it a go.

JudgeDredd

Thanks. Cheap too at £15. I'll give it a look  O0
Alba gu' brath

weateallthepies

Yeah I've seen it even cheaper on ebay now and then. Long out of print but obviously had a pretty good print run.

I quite like some of these old magazine games.

Mad Russian

Judge, if you are looking for a Vassal module that is Vietnam I have that module workable. The game series can be played head to head but is very solitaire friendly as well.

Good Hunting.

MR