Banzai and Desert War expansions for Up Front now available

Started by Steve at the Vault, April 01, 2016, 08:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve at the Vault

Barthheart

Wow! Great news Steve! and welcome to GrogHeads.  O0

bbmike

So if I wanted to play the Banzai expansion I would have to buy the Upfront Complete Game Bundle and the Banzai expansion for ~ $100?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

bbmike

Thanks! I'm on a Pacific War kick right now and this looks very interesting to me.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Cyrano

Considering what one would have paid before today for UF, Banzai, and DW on the secondary market, this is stealing.

I probably don't need another set, right?

Maybe for travel.  The guys at Origins are droolers, if memory serves...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steve at the Vault

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 02, 2016, 10:38:08 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on April 02, 2016, 10:33:11 PMThe guys at Origins are droolers, if memory serves...

you sure that's not sweat?

Might want to look into getting some card sleeves...

bbmike

Quote from: Cyrano on April 02, 2016, 10:33:11 PM
Considering what one would have paid before today for UF, Banzai, and DW on the secondary market, this is stealing.

I probably don't need another set, right?

Maybe for travel.  The guys at Origins are droolers, if memory serves...

No complaints on the price, just wanted to make sure I bought the right items. I just stole me a copy.  8)
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

WGV's cards are quality production.  I bought a backup set of his Action Deck to replace my original cards and they are very nice.  I'll be picking up the expansions as well soon (Banzai+Desert War) to replace my originals so that I can archive those.  For those that have heard of Up Front but don't know too much about it otherwise; it's really a brilliant game and a big part of the attraction for me is how fast it plays (the 'rounds' that is).  It's like playing Rummy but with a WWII theme is how I'd best describe it- your play during a turn is literally playing cards from your hand and if doing an attack, drawing from the deck to resolve it quickly and then play passes to your opponent so it's a very quick paced game and that keeps non-wargamers interested. I found it to be a good gateway game for spouses/children/Eurogamers.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

smittyohio

I'm curious about the rulebook on the WGV site.  It says "This 57 page, glossy cover rule book includes all of the original rules for Avalon Hill's classic games Up Front, Banzai and Desert War. All known errata from the originals have been fixed in this compilation."    But I think when I downloaded the free version, it sure seemed like the old rulebook, right down to the teeny font.   Is there a difference b/w the free version and the softcover?   To be fair, it's been a while since I downloaded it, so maybe it's changed.

TacticalWargames

Rulebook available in soft back aswell now..siperb. I'll order the rulebook tomorrow and the expansions at a later date. Realy wanted a proper manual rather than a PDF when the original was re released last year.

Steve at the Vault

Quote from: TacticalWargames on April 04, 2016, 11:50:30 AM
Rulebook available in soft back aswell now..siperb. I'll order the rulebook tomorrow and the expansions at a later date. Realy wanted a proper manual rather than a PDF when the original was re released last year.

It's the same three rule books compiled into one, but it's had known typo's/errors fixed. The pdf is free, the printed version is $9.95 plus shipping, they both have the same info.

TacticalWargames

Rulebook ordered!

Once it comes I may finally start to play..solo though I'm afraid.

GJK

Quote from: TacticalWargames on April 06, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
Rulebook ordered!

Once it comes I may finally start to play..solo though I'm afraid.

The VASSAL module works pretty well for online play but doesn't enforce the rules of course (does manage your card decks however):  http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Up_Front

The wargameroom.com implementation handles the rules and decks for you but it's as bare bones as you can get (text scroller only).  Definitely a good tool to use to try and learn and the IUFL (Internet Up Front League) is still alive and well:  http://www.wargameroom.com/downloads.htm

Of course you're missing out on one of the biggest draws of this game and that is playing live face-to-face so if you find that you like what you see in the rules and the electronic versions, I'd highly recommend getting the full game from WGV because you never know when you just may be in a position to actually get the game to the table vs an opponent.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer