B-17, Queen of the Skies - Looking for an upgrade!

Started by DennisS, September 20, 2012, 08:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

I played B-17, Queen of the Skies until my fingers bled, and I got carpal tunnel from rolling the dice. To this day, I have all seven cards completely memorized. Seriously. I have thorough and comprehensive statistics on more than ten THOUSAND missions ran.

So...from looking at Boardgame Geek, there is another game, B-29, which appears to have similar mechanics. Any reviews on this one?

For the B-17 game, I re-worked the target list to add in 200 additional targets, and an elaborate RPG system for the crew (individually named and tracked). I am looking for something a little more than B-17, and I am thinking that this may do the trick.

Thoughts?

Staggerwing

IIRC there was both a B-24 variant as well as an Avro Lancaster one.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

I don't have B-29  but it's a decent upgrade.  It adds fuel management.
The B-29, while high-tech during it's time, was prone to several failures.

Jack Nastyface

I've seen the B-29 game out-of-the-box but didn't play it.  It looks fairly well made and has some different features than the original B-17 QotS.  There is also a Korean War mod for the B-29 game.

I believe there is also a new version of B-17 being developed by the B-29 games guys...can't remember the name right now...but I think it aims to include some new features like seconday target decisions.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jack Nastyface

Dennis,
From your player experience, what is the most-dangerous crew position in the B-17?

I've played probably 100+ games, and for some very odd reason my greatest KIA's were in order: navigators; co-pilot, waist-gunners.  I also only rolled 1 bip.

Also also....can I PM you regarding something I've been toying with for a B-17 report out?

Yours at the IP,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

DennisS

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on September 21, 2012, 04:28:40 PM
Dennis,
From your player experience, what is the most-dangerous crew position in the B-17?

I've played probably 100+ games, and for some very odd reason my greatest KIA's were in order: navigators; co-pilot, waist-gunners.  I also only rolled 1 bip.

Also also....can I PM you regarding something I've been toying with for a B-17 report out?

Yours at the IP,

Jack Nastyface

I kept elaborate statistics, every would and death, over many thousands of missions. I can tell you exactly.

For the B-17 variants that did NOT have the twin nose cannon, the bombadier and navigator took fearful losses.

I have had many, many BIP, as well as runaway engines, and fires. Hits in the bomb bay are always fun, when you haven't dropped your bombs yet.

I have hit 100% bombs on targets exactly once, 90%+ many times.

Go ahead and PM me..I know this game like no other game, ever.

Fitz

Played B29. If you got carpal tunnel from B17, then plan on your arm becoming completely paralyzed from B29. Much more involved, concerning fuel, navigation, equipment failures, etc.. However, I think there's a Vassal out for it. Currently out of print, but I hear someone is doing a reprint.  I gave up on it and sold mine, but if it comes out again, I may give it another try as a Vassal would help a lot. That's the only way I would play it.

John

Rekim

Speaking of B-29, I just noticed it's up for reprint. This year according to the website. I just pre-ordered it for $40, no money down

http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_b29.html