ASL Starter Kit Learning Q&A With a Noob

Started by Bison, October 07, 2012, 10:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

I got an email and a PM (both from Mike's) requesting access to the folder.  I thought that I could share it out but since I didn't create it, only Bison can.  So, either I can create my own folder and put the same stuff in it, or if he doesn't object, Bison will need to be the one that share's out the folder.  Whichever is easiest for everyone is ok with me.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I can open he folder.  The only issue I have is my current computer will be getting mothballed in the next few days.  So let me know and I can open it for a few days for those who want.

MikeGER

Quote from: Bison on October 09, 2012, 12:20:39 AM
Wow.  I just did a quick look at the files.  Holy Shnikey, there is a lot of materials there to read and learn from about gameplay.
+1

Thanks for adding me  GJK :)
...now i hope it will be a very hard winter here in Germany  ;)  perfect for all my uncountable wargaming interests  :)

GJK

The articles by Jay Richardson, aka "richFam" (BGG name) covering each of the SK's in great detail are a huge learning resource.  The tutorial that he wrote for SK3 is what I used to finally get over the hump and learn AFV's.  I'd suggest setting up the units and following along with his examples (or just use VASL).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DV8

Quote from: GJK on October 08, 2012, 09:41:36 PM
Lot's of goodies going up to that folder.  If it's ok with Bison, I'd suggest that we share it with any other ASL/SK players here in the hopes that we can perhaps get an ASL/SK group going that can play online (VASL).  I know DV8 would be up for it. 
If anybody wants access, PM me or cleverly post your email address here (camouflaged to be hidden from spambots) and I will open up the folder to you.  It contains a number of play-aids, articles, tactics, cheatsheets and other goodies.

+1

I'm in.  PM coming.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Bison

DV8

Quote from: Bison on October 09, 2012, 04:29:49 PM
Did we figure out the folder issue?

It worked for me.  What issue are you having?

Staggerwing

Me want too! I'll fire off a PM lickity-split.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rekim

Bison

Quote from: DV8 on October 09, 2012, 05:51:49 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 09, 2012, 04:29:49 PM
Did we figure out the folder issue?

It worked for me.  What issue are you having?

No issue if everyone who wanted the materials got them.  Just wasn't sure if GJK need me to open up my dropbox or not.

GJK

I've been sharing the link as opposed to granting access (which I can't)   I assume that those with the link can only view and copy what's in there but not actually add to or modify the contents- which is fine. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DV8

Everything seems fine except the SK1 scenarios.  They are showing as icons but have no file size to them. Is it me or are the host files corrupt or something?

GJK

Yes, those pdf's were muffed so I've removed that folder.  However, open up the file "ASLSK3-EP1RB.chm".  That is a compiled help manual that I put together that contains the latest SK rules with all the errata that I could find, plus plenty of extras.  Hint: look under "Scenarios" in the TOC.  The .chm opens up much more quickly than a pdf and the search feature is much more powerful than a pdf, which simply jumps from found word to found word.  I will have this file open when I'm playing VASL on my PC or I'll have it with me on my tablet when I'm playing at the table.  Also included are the CH. H (Historical notes), which should be consulted whenever you play a scenario that includes tanks or guns. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

That explains what I saw when I logged on to my computer this evening about some files being deleted from the dropbox folder.  Was one of the deleted folders the ALSSK #1 rulebook?  Also I've not tried yet, but I wonder if the file format for the rulebooks will work on an ipad.  Mostly I figured I could load them up and read them during downtime at work.

I started to reread the rulebook from the expansion pack today.  Honestly I really need to start with the first rulebook I think, because mentally I know I can ignore the vehicle/gun rule mentions but I find that I cannot do so.  Anyway I "think" I have about a 40% understanding of terrain effects.

GJK

I use a program called "ichm" to import and then read my rulebooks that are in .chm format on my iphone. 

I see the SK#2 rulebook, I'll find and upload the SK#1 rulebook when I can.  In the meantime, the SK#2 rulebook only added the section for Ordnance plus errata for SK#1 so it may be ok to start with that one. Even before that though, I'd highly suggest the file "An _ASLSK_Tutorial.pdf".  Read through that until you have an understanding of what it's saying there and then take that knowledge and compare it to the rulebook until it all matches up for you. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer