Streaming TV Service

Started by airboy, July 06, 2020, 04:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We are doing a big reevaluation of our TV service.

We are highly likely to have two homes before the end of the year - and want to be able to switch one off (or use the same TV service in both locations) or use the same service in two States without paying double.

Right now we are leaning towards:
Roku to handle the streaming.
Hulu - for general TV, Sports (ESPN, ESPN2, ACC & SEC Networks)
And we already have Prime & Netflix.

We would have DSL internet at both homes for that part of the equation.

Anyone have any other suggestions or shared experience with this option?

DoctorQuest

I can't say enough good things about Roku. We have several of them and they do everything we need.

We are quite happy with:

Netflix
CBS All Access
Acorn TV
PBS Passport

Plus we get decent over the air digital channels. This may not apply to one or both of your locations.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

+1 for Roku! 

I echo everything DQ said.

My list is:

Disney+
Netflix
NBC Sports Gold
MLB League Pass

Other than Netflix, I pay a year at a time on the other three.  Beats paying monthly.  I will be dropping Disney.  Unless the Marvel shows turn out good.  I had Prime in the past and the offerings were weak so I dropped it.  Once they actually start putting out Tolkien content, I will be back.  And I get over the air digital channels, too.  All the networks, minus NBC for some reason, PBS and some of the other media offerings of those networks.  TruCrime, MeTV, some western channel and so on.

And DSL?  That would give me pause.  Don't they have cable in that cow town yet?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

I have Cable in Auburn.  The other place may or may not have cable - it is in the rural mountains.

jamus34

I cut the cord when I moved back in 2014. Had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and recently Disney +; dropped Netflix last year due to their continually increasing price but will probably pick up for a month or two a year to catch up on some shows.

best decision I made. Cable bill is strictly internet only and about half what a internet and TV bill would be.
Insert witty comment here.

DoctorQuest

I also have a gadget called a Tablo for over-the-air video recording. It is very handy as the commercials on a lot of the over-the-air stations are plentiful. The other advantage is that you can watch OTA stations from any network attached device.

I have an iTunes account but I've pretty much thrown it over for FandangoNow which comes as part of the basic Roku. You can rent/buy movies and TV shows very much along the lines of iTunes. That's how we watched Doctor Who last season.

The Roku channel is pretty good for free TV and movies.

And I will sign up for Sling during football season for ESPN and ESPN2.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

RedArgo

We use Hulu for our main TV stations, but one thing I noticed is we lived in Illinois and when we went to Florida and turned on Hulu it recognized a different address and told me I can only switch like one or two more times.  Not sure what happens after that.  I was able to switch back to Illinois and then to Arizona where we live now.  Just be aware that could be an issue, or not.

airboy

^ Thanks.  I have a brother that switches between NC and Virginia and he has not experienced this.  But they have only one TV in each location.

MetalDog

Quote from: RedArgo on July 10, 2020, 01:04:17 PM
We use Hulu for our main TV stations, but one thing I noticed is we lived in Illinois and when we went to Florida and turned on Hulu it recognized a different address and told me I can only switch like one or two more times.  Not sure what happens after that.  I was able to switch back to Illinois and then to Arizona where we live now.  Just be aware that could be an issue, or not.

I believe it was instituted to stop people from sharing their account with multiple people.  I saw it when we tried to get Hulu from my daughter.  I told her not to bother as I didn't want to gooch things for her.  Not sure they can really stop you if you are the one paying, but, the world changes around me all day in directions I never expect.  So, anything is possible.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob