Main Menu

NFL Questions

Started by JudgeDredd, September 18, 2017, 01:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Started a thread - should've thought about it when I started the QB Calls thread - about general NFL questions.

Why do they wear a "towel" tucked into their shorts?

Also, is it my imagination or are there more yellow flags nowadays? I haven't watched NFL for quite some time, but it seems to me the games I've watched this season have a considerable number of flags and penalties thrown in. Could just be my forgetfulness of imagination.

Last one for now - who's going to win the Super Bowl? I'm going with my old favourites - the Denver Broncos
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 18, 2017, 01:01:35 PM
Why do they wear a "towel" tucked into their shorts?
Dry their hands off to better grip the ball

Also, is it my imagination or are there more yellow flags nowadays? I haven't watched NFL for quite some time, but it seems to me the games I've watched this season have a considerable number of flags and penalties thrown in. Could just be my forgetfulness of imagination.
I don't know about the penalty stats for this year compared to years past.  I'm sure you could find it online.  First few games each year there's usually a few more being called out of a combo of sloppiness and players adjusting to rules changes.

Last one for now - who's going to win the Super Bowl? I'm going with my old favourites - the Denver Broncos
That's as good a choice as any.
It's usually foolish to bet against New England right now, and their opponent is likely to be either the Packers or Falcons given their QBs and defenses.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Absolutely, and a lot more personal fouls are called for what historically would have just been a good tackle. The rules have changed a lot in recent years due to concern over TBIs. Soon they are just going to be playing flag football with little or no contact. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RedArgo

While watching the Broncos trash the Cowboys yesterday, they showed a couple clips from Super Bowl 12 Broncos/Cowboys game.  The first one showed Denver QB Craig Morton getting smashed, which would be a no brainer roughing the passer call now, and the other was Dallas TE Butch Johnson? jumping in the air, catching the ball in the end zone and when he hits the ground the ball comes out.  In 1978 that is a TD, now he would not have completed the catch, no TD.  Rule changes have made today's game completely different than back then.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RedArgo on September 18, 2017, 01:29:09 PM
While watching the Broncos trash the Cowboys yesterday, they showed a couple clips from Super Bowl 12 Broncos/Cowboys game.  The first one showed Denver QB Craig Morton getting smashed, which would be a no brainer roughing the passer call now, and the other was Dallas TE Butch Johnson? jumping in the air, catching the ball in the end zone and when he hits the ground the ball comes out.  In 1978 that is a TD, now he would not have completed the catch, no TD.  Rule changes have made today's game completely different than back then.

Oh come on, now. Dallas had two good plays.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2017, 01:13:22 PMthey are just going to be playing flag football with little or no contact. 

The Saints have been trying this on defense for years.  Hasn't worked out so well for them, either....   :hide:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2017, 01:13:22 PM
...Soon they are just going to be playing flag football with little or no contact. 

Rugby is getting dumbed down somewhat here too. No doubt it's for safety reasons. But there are (extreme) concerns that it'll become touch rugby one day.

Also - what's a TBI? Traumatic Brain Injury  O0
Alba gu' brath