Main Menu

War Thunder Thread

Started by republic, November 07, 2014, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

Before I quit WT a year ago, driving an open top vehicle drew kamakaze's like flies.  Was always shocked when someone shot me up and didn't crash into me too. 

MengJiao

Quote from: bobarossa on May 19, 2020, 04:48:30 PM
Before I quit WT a year ago, driving an open top vehicle drew kamakaze's like flies.  Was always shocked when someone shot me up and didn't crash into me too.

I think they have toned down the kamikaze effects.  I was just driving the US quad-50 cal.  AA halftrack and I had three almost direct hits by Planes and suffered no damage.

I haven't played in a few months and I'm not getting killed nearly as much as I was (Maybe Easy Anti-cheat is working to some degree?)  Or maybe my play-style has changed or something?

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm still playing naval.  The low tier torpedo and fun boats are lots of fun.  The destroyers and cruisers are less so.  Flak on ships is insanely deadly.  Seeing a plane survive an attack run is a rare occurrence.  I'm even getting picked out of the sky at 25,000 feet.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 19, 2020, 05:35:47 PM
I'm still playing naval.  The low tier torpedo and fun boats are lots of fun.  The destroyers and cruisers are less so.  Flak on ships is insanely deadly.  Seeing a plane survive an attack run is a rare occurrence.  I'm even getting picked out of the sky at 25,000 feet.

Sure, fun boats are fun til somebody gets hurt.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 19, 2020, 06:30:08 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 19, 2020, 05:35:47 PM

Sure, fun boats are fun til somebody gets hurt.

Chinese Gladiator:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 19, 2020, 03:59:13 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 19, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
I'm looking forward to Enlisted which currently is in closed beta.  From the same makers as Warthunder except there is a heavy emphasis on infantry combat.

Sounds promising!  Apparently I'll play anything that resembles an FPS in any way.  But here's a War Thunder scene from the Achilles:

Or anything with ships:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 05, 2021, 09:53:55 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 19, 2020, 03:59:13 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 19, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
I'm looking forward to Enlisted which currently is in closed beta.  From the same makers as Warthunder except there is a heavy emphasis on infantry combat.

Sounds promising!  Apparently I'll play anything that resembles an FPS in any way.  But here's a War Thunder scene from the Achilles:

Or anything with ships:

Working on French Aircraft (for antiquarian reasons, I guess).  this is an "Early LEO 451" over the mediterranean.  I knocked out two bases with this one before being shot down by RustyTexan in an I-16:

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm also grinding the French Air Force line.  Stupid thread about D.520s planted the brain worm in my mind.

bobarossa

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 11, 2021, 08:22:11 PM
I'm also grinding the French Air Force line.  Stupid thread about D.520s planted the brain worm in my mind.
Don't you mean the `plane` worm?
Played War Thunder for several years, but only tanks. Couldn't get hang of fly-by-mouse and couldn`t be bothered to set up joystick.

MengJiao

Same here.  They have the African Mask insignia for Pierre Le Goran's D520.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I need one more rank II plane before I can research the D.520.  I've been having surprisingly good missions with the Potez 630.  It's slow, climbs like a brick, and carries far too little ammo but for some reason, I'm able to finish top 3 in most missions and often come back with 2 or 3 A2A kills.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 12, 2021, 04:42:04 AM
I need one more rank II plane before I can research the D.520.  I've been having surprisingly good missions with the Potez 630.  It's slow, climbs like a brick, and carries far too little ammo but for some reason, I'm able to finish top 3 in most missions and often come back with 2 or 3 A2A kills.

I was looking at that plane.  I get most of my points in bombers and put the results into fighters, but some fighter-bomber/heavy fighter types might be cool.  It has two central (nose-fusilage) 20 mm which should let you just touch the fire button and blow up the target.

Even the Br693AB2 (the real designation -- no kidding?) can do okay:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bobarossa on December 11, 2021, 08:40:43 PM
Don't you mean the `plane` worm?
Played War Thunder for several years, but only tanks. Couldn't get hang of fly-by-mouse and couldn`t be bothered to set up joystick.

I only fly with a joystick but by doing so, I'm at a real disadvantage.  Mouse aim is so much more precise than stick and rudder in this game.

You should give naval stuff a try.  The coastal boats are ridiculously fun.  Zipping along at 50 knots, hiding behind islands, and then jumping out to ambush passing destroyers as you blaze away with cannons and MG while desperately trying to line up for a torpedo shot is a blast.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: MengJiao on December 12, 2021, 07:26:48 AM

I was looking at that plane.  I get most of my points in bombers and put the results into fighters, but some fighter-bomber/heavy fighter types might be cool.  It has two central (nose-fusilage) 20 mm which should let you just touch the fire button and blow up the target.

I was doing the bomber line, but I found that I really don't care for the French level bombers.  They just don't compare to the Brits or even the Japanese lines.

I have had good success with the A-36 dive bomber but I decided to give the ground attack line a whirl as I recently picked up a VKB joystick and it's so precise that I find it much easier to line up shots than it was with my previous stick.  My biggest problem is that I forget to alter the fuse delay on my bombs when I switch from dive bombers over to ground attack and I do more damage to myself with my own bombs than I usually suffer from enemy fighters.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 12, 2021, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 12, 2021, 07:26:48 AM

I was doing the bomber line, but I found that I really don't care for the French level bombers.  They just don't compare to the Brits or even the Japanese lines.

I have had good success with the A-36 dive bomber but I decided to give the ground attack line a whirl as I recently picked up a VKB joystick and it's so precise that I find it much easier to line up shots than it was with my previous stick.  My biggest problem is that I forget to alter the fuse delay on my bombs when I switch from dive bombers over to ground attack and I do more damage to myself with my own bombs than I usually suffer from enemy fighters.

I have a semi-antique logotech joystick. Maybe I should look into getting something snappier.  Anyway, it has always seemed to sort of work for War thunder -- though its hard to tell since:
a) I'm usually really bad at games
b) I'm usually bad at computer games
c) I'm kind of very bad at military games on computers
d) I'm usually sort of okay with bombers or just crappy planes in general -- I can often get back to base against all odds (cuz I have a lot of practice with surviving in shot-up crappy planes)
e) and yet basically amazingly bad at War Thunder
f) so with all those sort of variable ups and downs -- I will look into a new joystick -- might help -- who knows?