Deep Space 9 is 25 Years Old

Started by OJsDad, January 29, 2018, 07:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Ah, the last Star Trek TV series.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

Wife and I have been doing a rewatch with one of our friends who had never seen a single episode of DS9 but saw all TOS, VOY, and ENT.  It was a blasphemy that we made it an effort to not let stand. 

He's as stunned that he skipped it as we were.  It really is one of the best shows Star Trek produced, second only in my mind to Season 1-2 of TOS.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

OJsDad

Are you watching on DVD or did you find somewhere to stream it from.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 29, 2018, 08:16:54 PM
Wife and I have been doing a rewatch with one of our friends who had never seen a single episode of DS9 but saw all TOS, VOY, and ENT.  It was a blasphemy that we made it an effort to not let stand. 

He's as stunned that he skipped it as we were.  It really is one of the best shows Star Trek produced, second only in my mind to Season 1-2 of TOS.

Plus, arguably, IMO the best Star Trek episode ever across each series in "The Visitor."

Staggerwing

For reasons I won't need to explain to most of you, my favorite DS9 episode is 'Dr Bashir, I presume'.

If only... if only...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2018, 08:44:52 PM
Plus, arguably, IMO the best Star Trek episode ever across each series in "The Visitor."

I wouldn't argue it.  I'd say decisively and without equivocation that it's the best.  City on the Edge of Forever is #2. 

It sadly lost for the Hugo to B5's "The Coming of Shadows" which was also a very worthy entry.  But, Visitor was better than Coming of Shadows, and that coming from a rabid B5 fan. 

The Hugo's are actually a bit absurd as it is, I have a close friend that has had more than one Hugo nomination who I won't name, and yeah, the process by which she was nominated and lost was kind of absurd.  But the general dismissiveness the Hugo's gave "The Visitor" is still a tragedy to this day.  On the show reels they did in the ceremony to highlight the episodes, they picked the one, tiny, technobabble moment of "The Visitor" as its representative moment.  Everyone at the Hugo's laughed at it, and clearly hadn't seen it.  Ridiculous.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

BanzaiCat

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 29, 2018, 10:41:49 PM
On the show reels they did in the ceremony to highlight the episodes, they picked the one, tiny, technobabble moment of "The Visitor" as its representative moment.  Everyone at the Hugo's laughed at it, and clearly hadn't seen it.  Ridiculous.

That's awful, considering the many emotional moments of the episode. Someone must have had an axe to grind.

JasonPratt

Revenge against the
appropriation of the
Babylon 5 plot?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 30, 2018, 07:07:53 AM
That's awful, considering the many emotional moments of the episode. Someone must have had an axe to grind.

There was a writeup about the Visitor on Tor.com by a Star Trek scriptwriter and author that attended the ceremony that year.  It was less an axe to grind and more that the Hugo's are not a juried award, anyone who wants to pay dues can vote, hell I was a Hugo voter for a couple of years.  That year the vast majority of the voters simply hadn't seen any DS9 at all, let alone the nominated episode.  Among the people that cared enough to be Hugo voters that year, most were very dismissive of modern Star Trek, and had written off DS9 after its first season. 

So, less an axe to grind, more prejudice against the brand held by the narrow subset of people that were voting on the award.

BanzaiCat

Interesting, thanks. I didn't know that's how the Hugos worked.

OJsDad

Airboy wrote quite a bit about how the voting works for the Hugos a year or two ago.