Grogheads 2014 Fantasy Baseball Season

Started by Bison, February 23, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

hell, I went from a 5-5 tie to a 1-9 loss...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

oh.........

that makes me feel better! was that overnight - i take it this just shows a complete arse up of things by ones team and a reversal of fortune by the others?

Marty Ward

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 02, 2014, 08:01:41 AM
how do i go from 6-4 up to 3-7 down over night?

Pitching. You didn't get 20 innings. I offered you another starter, remember ;)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

undercovergeek

for my teams only good player!!!

i have drafted the necessary people this very day

goddamit

frikking pitching, whip goddam no sense terms!!

BOWLERS!!!!

bayonetbrant

yeah but I got totally flipped on score and I *had* good pitching!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

im beginning to think my pitching has fallen short every match up

Marty Ward

If you don't get 20 innings you automatically lose all 5 pitching categories, though I don't know what happens if both don't get the 20 innings. It doesn't show up until Monday though since the program doesn't add Sundays innings until then.

IMO you need at least 4 starters to make sure you get 20 innings a week. Most starters only go 6-7 innings these days. There are some exceptions but the complete game is rare these days.  Plus every so often your starter will only get 1 start per week and if they have a bad outing may only last 2-3 innings or you may have 3 or more starters scheduled to pitch the same day and you can only choose 2. I have 5 starters and the first week 4 started the same day and were only going to pitch once that week. Needless to say I picked the wrong ones to pitch and I didn't get close to the 20 innings.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

bayonetbrant

I'm carrying 4 f/t starters and another that splits time between starting and relief.  That helps when 1 of your starters hits the DL (like Matt Cain this week).

Truthfully, I'm doing OK on most pitching numbers - I'm not getting blown out, but losing a lot of close ones - but my batters aren't worth 2 shits and I'm not 100% sure how to fix it.

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 02, 2014, 10:02:50 AM
I'm carrying 4 f/t starters and another that splits time between starting and relief.  That helps when 1 of your starters hits the DL (like Matt Cain this week).

Truthfully, I'm doing OK on most pitching numbers - I'm not getting blown out, but losing a lot of close ones - but my batters aren't worth 2 shits and I'm not 100% sure how to fix it.

Sometimes hitters forget to hit. I've been pretty good offensively so far but this last week I couldn't score runs, hit HR or knock in runs for crap. Hopefully this week they will remember what they are hired for!!!

undercovergeek

is there a way of identifying starters or is it a case of just sorting players by innings batted?

Bison

My pitchers had outstanding performances on Sunday, which is really what ended up tipping the score in my favor.  I didn't see it getting up to a 9-1 victory more like 6-4 or 7-3, but getting 5 wins and 5 saves in a week is hard to beat plus they pulled off some great era in their victories too.

Hitters have hot and cold streaks.  One can only hope that your hot hitters can carry the cold ones through the week and keep the score close, so if you do have a big day you can either tie up the score or pull ahead.

Bison

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 02, 2014, 10:26:09 AM
is there a way of identifying starters or is it a case of just sorting players by innings batted?

Yes pitchers will have a little ^ by the game if they are scheduled to start.  Batters are harder but if they are scheduled to not play a game they will have an x by the game.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on June 02, 2014, 10:29:03 AM

Yes pitchers will have a little ^ by the game if they are scheduled to start.  Batters are harder but if they are scheduled to not play a game they will have an x by the game.

I hate that part about Yahoo. Would it kill them to make it a little more obvious that someone is starting or is not playing that day?

undercovergeek

see, i did not know that - i always went by projected stats, assuming if they had a projected stat for the day they would be playing - sigh

bayonetbrant

Starting pitchers are the main thing you're looking for - they're the "SP" guys

For hitters, you need to look at the number of "AB" they're carrying.  Now, a walk doesn't count as an "AB" but you can probably handle some basic math there :)
You can also click on each player's name and read some basic info on him to see how he's doing, and the news updates will tell you if he's lost his starting spot or not.
With only 8 teams in our league, it's unlikely the auto-draft pulled someone who's not a starter from the beginning of the season, but injuries, trades, or poor performance could have someone benched at this point in the season.