Skeleton of WWII carrier pigeon found in UK chimney w/msg attached

Started by steve58, November 03, 2012, 03:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

I'm guessing it's the discarded key. In which case they'll need a super computer to figure it out and a lot of time.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

Staggerwing

Turing coulda figured out a lotta stuff. We could use him (again) right about now...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

Smuckatelli

That came from a one time pad, there is no way to get it decoded. I really hated using those pads, major pain in the rearend. Took a good 15-20 minutes to code it, it was only good for one time use and if you were reporting on a fluid situation....by the time it was decoded you could have missed the event.

GDS_Starfury

I already decoded it.
it was from a Canadian unit at Dieppe.
the message simply reads: thanks Britian and f*** you!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Longdan

GDS_Starfury

I have no sisters.
though it might have been your mom and her sister.
milfs need a good time to.  dont judge.

Longdan

Smuckatelli

Time for a one time pad seastory.

So when the Regiment deployed the snipers would detach from them and attach to 3rd Recon Bn. My 4 teams combined with Recon would give the regiment 16 recon teams, 4 with snipers. Since I fell under the S-2 I would checked out enough AKACs to cover all 16 teams. All of our radios had krypto gear, UHF, HF, & VHF, the other wing of our barracks was the comm shop. So before we got on ship for Team Spirit 89 I checked out all of the radio gear for my platoon. Once we got on ship I found out that the comm Sergeant from 3rd Recon forgot to bring the company's krypto gear.....the 12 teams would have to communicate in the open except for the AKACs.

3rd Recon's solution....the one time pad. Each team was issued one pad and the COC had the other. This was going to be my last operation before I PCS'd out of Okinawa after four & a half years. I put my replacement in an AO that I thought for sure would see activity. So we inserted on D-2...all 16 teams. We laid our sensor strings, put up the Xrays and patrolled to our AOs.

I really thought that I was going to a dead zone, initially I was supposed to be at 3rd Recon's COC but we had to leave one of our bubba's back in Oki because of the mumps. So we got to our area after sundown, established a watch and waited for the sun to come up. Around 13:00 the next day 3/7 (aggressors) decided to set up their COC about 1500 meters below us in the valley. We could clearly see the Bn Commander, had a good target package on him.

In order to get confirmation for a kill while in a training exercise you have to coordinate with the umpires. Get within 600-1000 yards and fire a grenade launching blank at your target and report who and what the target was doing when you took the shot. Our umpires would by coordinating with the target umpires.....it was a pain but at least there was confirmation once you sent all of the data back.

So....I see the badguy daddy, I roughly had a little over 4 hours before the sky 6 heat tab would be setting. I called Recon COC and requested to go covered straight to the Regiment S-2 to get the coordination monster going. They came back and denied my request and told me to use the one time pad. So I spent the next 20 minutes encrypting the coordinating instructions. I sent the message via the DCT, waited 30 minutes to get confirmation. I called to ask the status and they came back with "send again". So instead of taking another hour to get the message sent, receive, and reply....I just said #%&^ that and went covered to the Regimental S-2. For the next 3 hours we communicated that way, I was credited with taking out the Bn CO on D-Day..... Life was good. Recon was pissed.

About 2 days later the same type of event happened again. The badguys moved their artillery about 20 clicks right in front of us. We were in the mountains and had observation of both a north-south & east-west valley (ROK). Once they set up, we off set from one of our IPs and ran CAS on the artillery. We were supposed to be uncovered by D+4 but for some reason...we weren't extracted until index on D+9.

The Recon extract officer claimed that I was sucking ______ because instead of using the proper chain of command, all of my critical intel was passed straight to the Regiment instead of to Recon.

One time pads stink...

steve58

I'm still holding out hope that they'll be able to decipher the msg, eventually.  Time for the Bletchley Park boffins to fire up a Cray or two  :P

...if its this hard to crack, maybe Patreaus should've used the one time pad system  :)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)