Main Menu

Witcher

Started by LoganismyHERO, December 04, 2019, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on December 23, 2019, 09:45:56 AM
I've dabbled with Witcher 3 on my PS4 but jeesub....does he grunt this much in the game/books?

He's definitely not the most verbose anti-hero
Insert witty comment here.

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on December 22, 2019, 08:00:07 PM
I watched the first episode yesterday too. I enjoyed it and also enjoyed the battle scenes.

+1 O0

i got me a FireTV4k stick and a Netflix (free for a month atm) subscription just for watching The Witcher in the holiday season

have had read some of the novels 4 years ago too

Huw the Poo

My only criticism of this show right now is the constant jumping back and forth between two timelines.  It's irritating because there's absolutely no indication it's happened.  Even knowing it's a thing, and even having at least a passing familiarity with the lore, it still confuses me.  I can't wait until the timelines merge and the story can settle down.  It's absolutely bizarre that the showrunners are doing this; I don't look at review sites but I bet the show is being slaughtered because of it.

That really is my only complaint though.  Other than that I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Barthheart

I know nothing of the books or the video games, but am thoroughly enjoying the show.
I don't mind that multiple time lines, once I caught on.
Like most fantasy stories, they just throw you in the deep end with respect to lore and you just have to go with it a catch up from the tid bits in the conversations... which means paying close attention....
Plus...boobs!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Barthheart on December 26, 2019, 06:32:28 AM
Plus...boobs!

There have been some rather nice boobies, yes.  Always a plus!

airboy

My wife and I watched the first 2 episodes.  This is very good, but very grim.

Good but exceptionally bloody combat scenes.

My wife thought the boobs in the first episode were unnecessary for the plot.  I though that if a wizard was going to set up a big illusion - it made sense.

GibbyG

Binged all of the episodes yesterday.  Well done series but was confusing until I figured out the timelines.  Season 2 is supposed to be more linear.

Huw the Poo

Boobies are always necessary.

MikeGER

i delightful had consumed all episodes in the meantime :bd:
the atmosphere is spot on with the novels (the short story collection in this case for season 1)
and Geralt is great
cant wait for season 2 :D

knowing the novels and the last game my only complain is with the choice of the female cast
here Yen looks like a stunning princess from a Bollywood movie, killing a little the immersion.
Yennefer of Vengerberg character looks like a tough Snow White aged into her prime ...maybe remember the Selene character from the Underworld movie (impersonated by Kate Beckinsale in 2003)
Triss Merigold is close, but to old and a little chubby, the Merigold character looks more like a fragile pale Irish redhead, short before her prime (looks, biological age  ...not the colloquial meaning of that term today ;-) )

airboy

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 25, 2019, 05:52:55 PM
My only criticism of this show right now is the constant jumping back and forth between two timelines.  It's irritating because there's absolutely no indication it's happened.  Even knowing it's a thing, and even having at least a passing familiarity with the lore, it still confuses me.  I can't wait until the timelines merge and the story can settle down.  It's absolutely bizarre that the showrunners are doing this; I don't look at review sites but I bet the show is being slaughtered because of it.

That really is my only complaint though.  Other than that I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I'll second this.  My wife and I finished the series this evening.  The constant jumping back and forth from timelines, with the same characters, was unnecessarily confusing.  My wife thought there was too much gratutious sex and boobs.  I was OK with it given the general nature of that world.

It was very good and worth watching.  But it would have been better if told in a more linear fashion.

Sir Slash

I watched it too and agree overall it is good but very confusing, hard to grasp what Geralt is saying most of the time, and not a lot of monster-killing for a monster-killer. But I'll watch Season 2 cause I'm not picky.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2020, 11:43:07 AM
I watched it too and agree overall it is good but very confusing, hard to grasp what Geralt is saying most of the time, and not a lot of monster-killing for a monster-killer. But I'll watch Season 2 cause I'm not picky.  ;D

You don't understand grunt language?

Seriously, we have everything on closed caption since my wife went deaf in one ear and has difficulty hearing with background noise.  Since the Sheltie & the Miniature Schnauzer watch with us, there is generally background noise.

Many of the closed captions from Geralt are "grunt" or "grunts."

Sir Slash

"Grunts with an English accent sounds like.... a grunt. But classier.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.