What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

"The Thousand Names" by Django Wexler.  The first in a low fantasy series of four books (I'm actually on book 3 now) complete with muskets, sorcerous goings on, assassins, dark priests, well fleshed out fantasy kingdoms immersed in geo-political and military struggles.....pretty much everything a grog/geek could ask for in a novel. It's much easier reading than "Game of Thrones" (which I love) and the musket era of the novels caused me to fire up Pike and Shot again as I'm reading them  :smitten:

mirth

MD was mocking me because I may have mentioned, once or twice, that I knew and gamed with Bill Forstchen some years back. Not quite the same as hanging out with Stephen King, though Forstchen was a character. And anyway, I opted to ignore MD's snark :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on September 02, 2016, 02:50:24 PM
MD was mocking me because I may have mentioned, once or twice, that I knew and gamed with Bill Fortschen some years back. Not quite the same as hanging out the Stephen King, though Forstchen was a character. And anyway, I opted to ignore MD's snark :P

I liked Fortschen's Rally Cry series. I don't think I read more than the first two or three and they weren't amazing, but enjoyable enough.

mirth

Several characters from the Rally Cry books are based on people I know. Keane, Malady, Rossignol - those are all friends of Bill's that I knew well back in the day.

And now I'll never hear the end of it from MD.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on September 02, 2016, 02:54:55 PM
Several characters from the Rally Cry books are based on people I know. Keane, Malady, Rossignol - those are all friends of Bill's that I knew well back in the day.

So which one is you? Or is that a secret?

mirth

I didn't make the cut. Those other guys were his peers. I was just one of the young pups he liked to beat up on in whatever game we happened to be playing. He could be a sneaky bastard.

Gusington

Steelgrave that series sounds awesome. There goes the self control I was trying to instill on myself on Amazon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Did someone call me?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on September 02, 2016, 02:50:24 PM
MD was mocking me because I may have mentioned, once or twice, that I knew and gamed with Bill Forstchen some years back. Not quite the same as hanging out with Stephen King, though Forstchen was a character. And anyway, I opted to ignore MD's snark :P

Your my hero.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on September 02, 2016, 06:11:44 PM

Did someone call me?

Bill Forstchen.

BanzaiCat

Hey now, the Rally Cry series is easily one of my favorite fiction series, ever.

Admittedly by the fourth and fifth books it was starting to get a little old, but the first three at least are nothing short of epic. They'd make GREAT big-budget movies.

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 02, 2016, 08:51:05 PM
Hey now, the Rally Cry series is easily one of my favorite fiction series, ever.

Admittedly by the fourth and fifth books it was starting to get a little old, but the first three at least are nothing short of epic. They'd make GREAT big-budget movies.

The first four were by far the best.  I would like to seem them each done as a 6 episode TV series.  I think a movie would cut too much.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on September 02, 2016, 04:16:15 PM
Steelgrave that series sounds awesome. There goes the self control I was trying to instill on myself on Amazon.

That's what friends are for, Gus, breaking down your self control and leading you astray. It is a good series though and I think you will enjoy it!

Gusington

How far in to the series are you?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on September 03, 2016, 09:08:07 PM
How far in to the series are you?

I'm about a third of the way into book three. The first book was the best but that's not to say there was a letdown afterwards. Book one, "The Thousand Names", had a lot more combat as part of the story; book two "The Shadow Throne", was more focused on the homefront and comparable in some ways to Game of Throne's first season, i.e. political intrigue, etc.... book three, "The Price of Valor",  is so far a mixture of a grand military campaign and political struggle. All three books do a great job of character development, in particular the main characters: the intriguing new regimental commander, Colonel Janus;  the tired Captain Markus, leading the dregs of the Army known as The Colonials in a dusty and hostile land and a private named Winter who has a very interesting secret.  The supernatural aspect of the novels is.....rather unique and very well done...."The Penitent Damned", now there's an RPG class you won't see elsewhere, ha!!! Not typical swords and spells fare to be sure. 

The novels aren't as grand in scope as GoT but you also have fewer characters to keep track of and there is never a time when the story isn't being driven forward. So in that it can be considered superior in execution at least. I'm really enjoying the books, Gus, and I think you will too.