2015 Grogheads Fantasy Football Leagues

Started by Bison, July 24, 2015, 08:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

The two areas that get hit hardest by expanding the league are TE and RB.  The TE is an easy enough fix by making the TE spot a TE/WR/RB type slot.  The RB is much harder.  There are fewer featured backs and more platoon backfields now and injuries expose the level of talent difference between a starter and a backup running back.

Bison

And congrats also to Grim Reaper who is this year's Rookie League Champion.

MetalDog

Something I'm not sure everyone realizes is, this game is about floor.  If the prediction for your player is 5 points for that week, a successful week is if he makes 5 points.  Anything over is gravy.  And you want to have as many guys on your team that make their weekly floor as possible.  In your starting lineup for sure, but on your bench, too.  The other thing is to play matchups.  If Daily Fantasy Sports has taught me anything, it's look at the matchups.  A lot of casual fans missed on Kirk Cousins or Blake Bortles performances this past weekend.  But, based on the matchup, both were primed for big games.  Anyways, I think the RB position will come down to a handful of backs being counted on every year and value on the remainder based on projected usage that season/period of time/week.  THAT'S why Le'Veon Bell is such a good bet.  Awesome runner on a team that uses him often.

And a hearty congratulations to Grim Reaper, too!   
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Well a bigger league places much more emphasis on using your bench effectively rather than as a bye week and injury emergency replacement pool.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on December 28, 2015, 12:03:10 PM
The two areas that get hit hardest by expanding the league are TE and RB.  The TE is an easy enough fix by making the TE spot a TE/WR/RB type slot.  The RB is much harder.  There are fewer featured backs and more platoon backfields now and injuries expose the level of talent difference between a starter and a backup running back.

I would be in favor of league expansion if you get the bodies and we go with the TE slot adjustment. I rode the waiver wires and free agents as hard as anyone and while that's nice to have available, I feel that a larger league adds to the challenge.

And Dawg, you're exactly right....it's all about the matchups. Makes for some tense decisions when you're considering leaving a "better" player on the bench because of a bad matchup. Heh, the sad thing about my part in the championship game yesterday? You can add my entire bench production to my total and I still would have lost  8)

Bison

I'd actually considered changing the TE slot this season, but with this few of players I felt it adds a level of challenging frustration.

MetalDog

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 28, 2015, 12:21:22 PM

And Dawg, you're exactly right....it's all about the matchups. Makes for some tense decisions when you're considering leaving a "better" player on the bench because of a bad matchup. Heh, the sad thing about my part in the championship game yesterday? You can add my entire bench production to my total and I still would have lost  8)

^Been there.  HATE that! ;)

I've played in 10 to 12 man leagues most of the time I've played this game.  TE has always been a position on our rosters.  Yeah, it sucks if you're the guy that doesn't have Gronk, but, Tyler Eifert leads TE's with 12.  Jordan Reed is on FIRE and is tied or ahead of Eifert and Gronk for major stats leads.  Gary Barnidge has been eminently serviceable for Cleveland.  Greg Olsen is Newton's favorite target.  Travis Kelce, Austin Sefarian Jenkins, Zach Ertz.  All had week winning point totals for owners.  That's eight guys right there.  And that doesn't count Julius Thomas season or Martellus Bennet.  That makes 10.

Bison

TE is a hit or miss position.  There are some favorite targets, but it really comes done to the QB.  Brady loves to throw to TE for TDs even if it's not Gronkowski.  Romeo loves TEs too, but this is starting to get uncomfortable to elaborate on any further.

MetalDog

All positions are hit or miss.  TE just seems more so, due to the paucity at the top.  The position should be kept.  QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF.  That's a typical FF lineup.  And unfortunately, 4 Pts for a QB Passing TD and .5 Point Per Reception is standard, too.

KyzBP

Quote from: MetalDog on December 28, 2015, 12:48:58 PM
All positions are hit or miss.  TE just seems more so, due to the paucity at the top.  The position should be kept.  QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF.  That's a typical FF lineup.  And unfortunately, 4 Pts for a QB Passing TD and .5 Point Per Reception is standard, too.

That's a pretty fair position count.  In other leagues I've played in there's usually 1 less WR slot but everything else is the same.

On a side note:  If we can get the league up to 10 players, what do you guys think about contributing $5 each to a winner's pot?  It would allow the winner to pick up a decent groggy game (or 10 bad ones) and wouldn't break the bank.  Just a though.

MetalDog

If we go .5 PPR, then 2 WR spots and a Flex I think would be sufficient.

Bison

We've discussed a prize of some sort in the past, so I'm game if everyone else is good with it.  We'd just need to figure out how to do it without it being a hassle.

Steelgrave

Dawg makes a good point on the TE position and thinking it through, I'm not too keen on cutting a WR slot. I view TE's like I do kickers....a mediocre one probably won't screw you too badly and a good one is bonus points. Overall I think we have a good balance with 3 WRs, 2 RB and a TE, plus it reflects the average NFL lineup well.

And I would kick in a few bucks if that's what the league wanted. Probably the easiest way would be to Paypal the commish to hold the funds. Might be enough to pick up a prize on Steam.

Bison

Yes I'd originally picked the lineup based on a traditional team set.  2 RB (feature and 3d down), 3 WR (#1 and #2 plus a slot) and the TE.  I like the TE slot too, but its the one position that the talent can get diluted pretty quick in a bigger league.

MetalDog

There's one TE I would hold above all others, Gronk.  Everyone else is just varying degrees of useful.  So, everyone is pretty much in the same boat.  That being the case, keep it.  I know I'd rather have Le'Veon Bell than Isaiah Crowell but you're not going to outlaw RB's are you?  And I'm in on the fiver.  Just let me know where and how to send it.