For a Few FRIDAYS More

Started by al_infierno, November 20, 2020, 12:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 20, 2020, 10:07:24 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on November 20, 2020, 09:30:51 AM
Oh this reminds me I need to get my act together and purchase the Dollar Trilogy on Bluray, finally!  :cowboy:

On Amazon, I think, there are a slew of Italian Westerns to enjoy currently.  Can't get over how many dark complexioned but blue-eyed (and very, very sweaty seeming) cowboys there were running around in those days.

And speaking of movies to pick up, think I'll pony up for the Zatoichi set at some point or another.
Had to google that, looks super!

On the gaming front, seems I will be in for my first ever VASSAL game this weekend. Good times!  :bd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Crossroads on November 20, 2020, 12:57:57 PM
Had to google that, looks super!

You will not be disappointed - in one movie, there is a fight scene in a bath house that runs like a deadly Benny Hill skit where dudes are naked, but items block the naughty bits at the right time as they all go swinging swords...ahem...at each other.

Wanna say Hulu, or some streaming movie service, had all the Zatoichi movies as well as numerous other samurai films available at some point, but it's been a bit since I had time to sit down and enjoy them.

al_infierno

Quote from: endfire79 on November 20, 2020, 10:51:36 AM
Good stuff - I've been eyeing RDR2 for a while now.  Have you ever seen it go on sale?  How's the story rate up ?

I think it went on sale for the holidays, but I don't remember how much.  The singleplayer is a great fun, both for the western movie feel and the awesomely recreated historical time period.  The gunplay itself is quite meaty and satisfying, but honestly super clunky and awkward (even clunkier than RDR1, imo).  It's definitely workable once you're used to the controls, but I found myself running into a lot of "WTF just happened?" moments when messing around outside the story missions.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MetalDog

Quote from: Rayfer on November 20, 2020, 08:44:35 AM
Great song choice a_i.   Been on a solitaire board game kick of late.  Getting into Warfighter WWII by DVG.  Tons of fun.  Computer gaming...frustrated with HoI4 I'm giving HoI3 another go.

I gave you great, new, tracks two weeks in a row and NOTHING.  I'm beginning to think you don't love me anymore :(  (J/K)

FAYI (For All Y'alls Information), I believe it is naught more than a rumor, but, there supposedly is a remake of The Wild Bunch in the works.  And you'll never guess who one of the stars is...Peter Dinklage.

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

al_infierno

Hahaha, what??   :o  I never realized until now that Peter Dinklage rootin and tootin in the old west is exactly what I need in my life.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

He'll probably wind up looking something like this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

MetalDog

I neglected to mention that two other actors are rumored to be attached to the remake...Michael Fassbender & Jamie Foxx.

-budd-

Been on a game buying spree lately....i know it makes absolutely no sense with my massive backlog  :idiot2:..but...but..they were on sale.

Picked up Fury of Dracula. Never played the board game. Finished 4 solo games, its fun as the hunters but not that interesting as Dracula in SP. The AI wasn't even close to finding me, and I didn't really know what I was doing. Once they expand the MP to 1 vs 4 might try some online games. Probably play a few more games as the hunters this weekend.

Also picked up SuperHot and Void Bastards on sale, might try those out.

Haven't been much for any thinking type games, been spending most of my time playing Prodeus. Finished the EA campaign days ago but keep going back in to look for secrets and play on harder levels. There are also some really good user made levels already. If anyone has enjoyed Quake or Doom games this is a must buy IMHO. The guns, the levels, the music are all top notch and i can't wait to see what campaigns the user base comes up with. It's like a Quake and Doom baby, the level design is top notch. Not to be missed if you enjoyed Quake or Doom, I enjoy it more than Doom 2016, haven't played Eternal yet.

Picked up Deep Rock Galactic on sale a couple of weeks ago have to give that game some time also.

Have a good weekend Grogs.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2020, 07:31:17 PM
I neglected to mention that two other actors are rumored to be attached to the remake...Michael Fassbender & Jamie Foxx.

After reading your post about the Wild Bunch had to go looking. Looks like Mel Gibson is co-writing and directing the remake. The original is a classic curious to see how this turns out.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MetalDog

Quote from: -budd- on November 20, 2020, 07:39:19 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2020, 07:31:17 PM

After reading your post about the Wild Bunch had to go looking. Looks like Mel Gibson is co-writing and directing the remake. The original is a classic curious to see how this turns out.

I saw the original earlier this year for the first time.  Not super impressed, but, I am not really the audience they were shooting for.