Dawn of the Grog: Early Age game (in progress)

Started by Phobos, May 21, 2013, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobos

Don't get discouraged, taking over for another player at this stage of the game is a challenging proposition.  If there is any advice I can offer for dealing with certain tactics, or devising a few of your own, my inbox is open.  That goes for anyone.  I can't promise to give you good advice, but I might give you some food for thought.     

Philippe

What I want to know is why your armies are so unreasonably big.

This is starting to feel like April '45 and I'm the Germans.

Is this a side effect of one of the global magic spells that you seem to have a monopoly on?

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Phobos

I researched Enchantment first.  I picked up some Thaumaturgy and Conjuration along the way, but the bulk of my research went into Enchantment until I hit Enchantment 8.  Most of the undead I have come from the spells Carrion Reanimation and Army of the Dead, which can summon a hundred units at a time.  I also summoned some Pangaean undead commanders which allowed me to generate Manikins.  The Global Ritual, Gift of Nature's Bounty, increased my income and allowed me to recruit large numbers of normal troops from forts, as well as more Pan commanders.

The bulk of my forces are Maenads, special units generated by Panii.  They are basically naked, feral women that can go berserk and attack with claws.  They are inferior to light infantry, but upkeep free.  Each Pan can generate around a half dozen per turn, every turn.  They generate more Maenads in provinces with Turmoil scales. 

I just keep pushing Maenaeds to the front line and if they die, I don't care, because the corpses they leave behind makes my remote undead generation spells more effective.

Shurp

OK, this is just too frustrating.  His armies keep bouncing around all over the place and I have no way to find out if what I am attempting to do will actually accomplish anything.

TNN (Beelzeboss), do you just want me to go AI, or what?

Philippe

Due to an unforseen event (Parzifal) and my girlfriend's fondness for Wagner,  I'm going to need a 24-hour extension because I doubt I'll be able to get a turn out tonight.

Philippe

What exactly just happened?  I just got a message that the game is over, but I don't know why and I can't tell who won (it was either Pangaia or Tir ).

The tables that are being displayed are interesting. Two players seem to have done wildly more research than anyone else.  Next time I play I would really like to know how that's done.

Phobos

I did not get the game over message, so perhaps it was a corrupted file or something?  In any case, I clicked the resend turn button on your behalf.

As for research, I don't know how others did it, but my early high research came mainly from my pretender god, who has multiple magic paths and from Magic+3 scales that I picked in design.  I put up a few forts as quickly as I could with my poor income scales and recruited a number of Dryads, which are cheap, sacred researchers.  I also invested in provinces that had tribal shamans in order to pull some of them in for research.  The downside is that I have an excessive number of Nature 1 casters.  Because they are all sacred, the gold upkeep on them in minimal though.

Construction was a late pick for me, so I did not bother forging any items that boost research, such as Lightless Lanterns (fire) or Skull Mentors (death).  I suppose rushing construction in order to forge lightless lanterns could be a strategy for Abysia.   

Shurp

OK, this is clearly pointless.  I've gone AI.

Phobos

Ok, thank you for playing.  Seeing as you feel your position is not good and you are not having fun playing Ulm, I will not bother looking for a replacement player.  You efforts have been appreciated and I hope you got something from the experience.

undercovergeek

i cant get a turn out of llama - i didnt know there was one until i got the 12 hour reminder and it wont resend

Phobos

No problem.  I can't offer any technical assistance or advice at this time, but I will try and investigate the matter tonight.  I'll add a couple of days to the clock, just in case.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Phobos on August 22, 2013, 05:45:49 PM
No problem.  I can't offer any technical assistance or advice at this time, but I will try and investigate the matter tonight.  I'll add a couple of days to the clock, just in case.

ta

Phobos

Extended the game for 12 hours as I will not be home until tomorrow morning.

edit:  Added another 12 hours just in case, as it is getting close to hosting and Abysia has it's turn outstanding.

Phobos

Phobos