Might as well have a Wolfpack thread...?

Started by JasonPratt, March 31, 2019, 08:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I feel reasonably sure we talked about this game somewhere else, essentially a multiplayer version of one of the Silent Hunter games (but not needing VR like Ironwolf). But apparently it doesn't have its own thread yet??! ...is that unpossible?

Anyway. Here's Rimmy and several of his buddies taking the game out for a spin. (Warning: NSFW language occasionally. Occasionally very loud.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Lordy.  Looks like this would be fun with the right group and utter madness with the wrong group ("What do you mean you fired all of the torpedoes? We're still in port!").

Destraex

Agreed. Finally we have these kind of games and nobody Horan to LANs anymore.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 01, 2019, 07:44:43 AM
Lordy.  Looks like this would be fun with the right group and utter madness with the wrong group ("What do you mean you fired all of the torpedoes? We're still in port!").

As demonstrated in the video, heh.

Could actually be used as a training example to demonstrate why there are rigorous checklists and chains of command in the military, especially on subs!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

It actually looks like a lot of fun, but it would have to be with the right crew of friends.  With the wrong group (and it would only take one or two) it could be an awful experience. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dammit Carl!

"What's the valve to scuttle the boat?  Just curious."

FarAway Sooner

Carl, my sense on WW II subs was that if you just started twisting and turning enough cranks and knobs, you'd automatically scuttle it in fairly short order!

I had no idea that wolf pack tactics were driven "out of vogue" by air power.  Concentration of subs just led to concentration of air power, which usually did more to sink U-boats than to sink shippping.  Of course, the fact that the Allies had HF/DF technology enabling them to clearly establish the locations of German subs was a major factor there, of which the Germans were largely oblivious.

Skoop

I'd probally rather the play the single player "uboat" game that's releasing soon.  Been in development for a while now.

Only question for the Wolfpack game is can you use an enigma to coordinate real wolfpacks with other subs?

Dammit Carl!

Yeah - seeing the inside of a UBoat, I could see me making so, so many cock-ups w/regards to what valves to use, etc.  My dumb ass would have been kicked off the boat and shipped to Russia in no time (if we lived long enough, that is).

Looking at their projected development roadmap, it looks pretty dang ambitious. 

Huw the Poo

Oh my god this is basically PULSAR: First Colony, only on a submarine!!!  I NEED IT!!!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tripoli on April 01, 2019, 09:28:29 AM
It actually looks like a lot of fun, but it would have to be with the right crew of friends.  With the wrong group (and it would only take one or two) it could be an awful experience.

We are now releasing the bot features we've been working on the past month. The addition of bots will make the game more single player friendly by allowing you to control the U-boat from a dashboard interface. Bots are activated on a per server basis in the lobby menu.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/490920/announcements/detail/1583502647492904581

From a mail I received :

When we released Wolfpack many of you reached out to me and said, "But Onkel, I don't really play multiplayer. Please let me know when Wolfpack has a single player mode".

Well my friend, the devs heard you and that day is here: it is my great pleasure to tell you that we just released the Wolfpack Lone Wolf single player package. Now you can have the same authentic u-boat experience but easily manage your boat solo if you choose.

If you already own Wolfpack (thank you for your support!), you can go to Steam now and update your game. If you have been waiting for the right time to buy Wolfpack, there's no better time than now.
You can get the game with the Lone Wolf single player update all for the same price as the original game.  Just check out the terrific reviews!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/490920/Wolfpack/

And we're not stopping here, no sir. The devs have a lot more amazing stuff to add to the game: a campaign mode featuring a highly detailed and authentic Scapa Flow mission with patrols, nets, blockships, and tidal factors. That is something never done by any subsim.  Then we'll build a historic campaign mode with missions like Running Gibraltar, Operation Drumbeat, and D-Day; dedicated servers for 24/7 World of Wolfpack, save game functions, and that Holy Grail of all u-boat sims--playable destroyers for massive player vs player convoy battles. That's what your purchase of Wolfpack buys you.

So, get your copy of Wolfpack now and enjoy the most realistic u-boat combat simulator ever. Your support means the game will continue to evolve and grow.

Good hunting!
Onkel Neal - SUBSIM

PS: Now with the single player mode it is easy to start a mission solo and allow other players to join the battle in their own subs as part of a wolfpack during your game. This really ramps up the action and makes the destroyers work extra hard to cover the whole convoy when it is being attacked from all sides! You can use the u-boat radio to communicate with any other captains. If other players join, great; if not, no problem, your game goes on solo.

PPS: We also added a training mode and a quick encounter mode for immediate action!

This got me interested in this game as I am a single player gamer.

If anyone has this game I look forward to new opinions.  I already have Silent Hunter III, IV and V plus Uboat so I don't know if I need this one (but I think I want it ..)

michaelspotts

Just bought it for the single player write up I just read - and your rep as solid devs behind solid game.

mbar

JasonPratt

Interest in the game notched up considerably!

Yskonyn

Definately, for me too! But not quite ready to pull the trigger yet.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."