Aggression - Reign Over Europe

Started by tgb, April 09, 2014, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

I never heard of it, but it's on Steam for $10 under the name Aggression.  Apparently it covers the first half of the 20th century in Europe, and Strategyinformer gave it a pretty good review when it was originally released, likening it to "Early 20th Century:Total War". Their main complaints seem to be polish - namely the graphics and interface.

Anyone here have first hand experience?

skeptical.platypus

Give'em some credit for expanding Wargame Title Word Options. But let's face it, "Reign Over Europe" needs some Iron, Steel, or Panzers. 
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 09, 2014, 01:37:15 PM
Give'em some credit for expanding Wargame Title Word Options. But let's face it, "Reign Over Europe" needs some Iron, Steel, or Panzers.

Steel Reign Over Europe would've been a play on words, and totally acceptable

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

ArizonaTank

Buka's Pacific Storm and Pac Storm Allies are one of my guilty pleasures....  For $9 I'll give this one a go....  Now just need time to play it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 11, 2014, 04:52:06 AM
Buka's Pacific Storm and Pac Storm Allies are one of my guilty pleasures....  For $9 I'll give this one a go....  Now just need time to play it.

I think the concept is great.

I love dynamic campaigns.

The unit control and pathfinding in tactical mode seem to have issues.

It makes me wish Combat Mission had a dynamic campaign with an operational mode....and the graphics of Company of Heroes.

skeptical.platypus

Neither Pacific Storm nor Allies should be a guilty pleasure! I've never had a more satisfying torpedo bombing wave experience.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 11, 2014, 06:28:19 PM

Neither Pacific Storm nor Allies should be a guilty pleasure! I've never had a more satisfying torpedo bombing wave experience.

I said that because in Pac Storm, the tactical AI could be dumber than a rock.  As an example, I remember my US CA fleet at Wake being charged by a gaggle of Japanese submarines sailing on the surface.  The subs did not last long.  Also the music and voice overs could be pretty comical.  I loved it when a plane would go down and the pilot would say "this is the h". 

But on the serious side, Pac Storm is a great logistics game....maybe one of the best.

But back to Aggression, I did get about 40 min in today.  Kind of a light game.  Reminds me of Imperial Glory.  Have only played pre-WWI but inter-play of weapon types is interesting.  Cav used for screening.  Frontal assaults very expensive.  Need long range guns...inaccurate but devastating...to soften up enemy hardpoints.  Then douse with MG and field gun fire.  Finally send in the grunts to dig the enemy out.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.