Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

one of these days I'll get a new computer that can actually run this
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tactical Wargamer

I have it but not really any good at it. Love to play an MP game with a more seasoned veteran to learn more :)
Steam = Tactical Wargamer
Feel free to friend me
@TacticWargamer

Cheimison

QuoteExpanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
Why is this new? I know Civilization is a much lighter/more casual/sandboxy game than most, but I don't understand why basic and obvious features like this took literally thirty years to be implemented. Why in God's name would a STRATEGIC LEVEL GAME have a Legion with no support take up an entire space the size of a God damn city? Civ5 just made it worse, because there's no stacking. Why in God's name would a STRATEGIC LEVEL GAME even allow you to deploy artillery without it being attached to a cavalry or infantry division? This makes no sense whatsoever. In fact, why isn't artillery INCLUDED in infantry from the moment you get the technology? Nobody has artillery running around loose with no army, and no regular troops from the late medieval period onward would arrive on the battlefield - much less at a siege - without artillery. In fact, simply having lower strength could easily represent lacking artillery given the high level of abstraction involved. Or how about 'machine gunners' being their own army, lol, WTF is that supposed to be? It's a grand strategy game that has more graininess than a tactical game, why?

That's the main thing that annoys me about Civ, it's a fun game but warfare is so tedious, slow and nonsensical. That and oil-powered battlecruisers that take several years to cross an ocean.
I know it's for #muhBalance #muhGameplay, but if your engine requires patent gibberish to be 'balanced' you should probably rework the entire combat modeling involved.

Also, units should upgrade and get bonuses from tech, instead of being replaced.

Yskonyn

Civ has always played much like a board game. If you keep that in mind I don't find the system odd at all.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cheimison

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 22, 2017, 03:21:29 PM
Civ has always played much like a board game. If you keep that in mind I don't find the system odd at all.
I don't recall Risk having artillery running around detached from units. I mean, according to Civ a Legion is literally just the guys with the shields and swords - no artillery, no cavalry, no light infantry, no archers. That's just a weird. I think building 'armies' would make more sense than having tiny fractional support units treated as entire armies themselves.
EU4 is bad enough with its twenty-two thousand man artillery battalions.
Don't get me wrong, I like all of the Civ games (except maybe 4) but they're extremely bizarre. The AI has no purpose but to frustrate the player, it's totally irrational and ahistorical.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Cheimison on October 22, 2017, 03:39:36 PM
The AI has no purpose but to frustrate the player, it's totally irrational and ahistorical.

;D That's indeed true as can be!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

CJReich46

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2017, 02:11:16 PM
one of these days I'll get a new computer that can actually run this

You and me both. I am still running the PC (except for a new CPU replaced in 2013, and GPU-2012) that I got in 2008, of all things.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

W8taminute

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 22, 2017, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: Cheimison on October 22, 2017, 03:39:36 PM
The AI has no purpose but to frustrate the player, it's totally irrational and ahistorical.

;D That's indeed true as can be!

It is for this reason I gave up on the franchise a long time ago.  OTOH any civ game is great when you play with all human opponents. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

It is frustrating that the AI is totally irrational and I really wish they would put proper diplomacy in Civilization one day. But ahistorical? It's supposed to be ahistorical.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Moreb

So Civ 6 is on sale for under $18. Is it worth it? I played a bit of V and thought it was ok, albeit what I thought a clickfest.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Yskonyn

Then I say 'No, probably not your game'.

Moreb

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 10, 2019, 04:01:56 AM
Then I say 'No, probably not your game'.

I guess that wasn't a fair critique since clicking all game long is sop. I remembered not liking the constant shuffling of builders around. It seemed like 80% of the game. But I remembered why I quit playing; the game froze on me mid game and no matter which save I used whenever I got to or around that point again it would freeze. I just didn't have the patience at the time to try again and shelved it.

Barthheart

Vanilla Civ VI is just OK. You really need all the expansions to make it a better game.

Even with the last expansion, Gathering Storm, there are a few quirks.

But I enjoy playing the game, a lot... 1200+ hrs according to Steam....  :uglystupid2:

Moreb

Quote1200+ hrs according to Steam

Well you do have to stay busy at work.  :-"

I wish I could see the mods for games I don't own yet. Often times, when making a choice to purchase a game, Id like to know if mods are permitted and which ones.

Does the game support mods? Anything that might make the graphics...er...more subtle? Good balancing mods?