Command and Conquer remastered coming to Steam in June.

Started by AchillesLastStand, March 10, 2020, 01:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

Command & Conquer and Red Alert defined the RTS genre 25 years ago and are now both fully remastered in 4K by the former Westwood Studios team members at Petroglyph. Includes all 3 expansion packs, rebuilt multiplayer, a modernized UI, Map Editor, bonus gallery of unreleased FMV footage, and over 7 hours of legendary remastered music by Frank Klepacki. Welcome back, Commander.

Includes: Command & Conquer, Red Alert 1, and all expansions

Will get this just for the 4k support and remastered graphics. Anyone else interested?

Destraex

Interesting. Have been thinking of getting praetorians on steam myself speaking of retro rts games. Its so expensive though.
Rts games I enjoy are supreme commander, ashes of singularity singularity, company of heroes 2, steel division series. Not sure I could go back to command and conquer. Nostalgia would keep me going for a short while.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Destraex on March 10, 2020, 09:40:50 PM
Interesting. Have been thinking of getting praetorians on steam myself speaking of retro rts games. Its so expensive though.
Rts games I enjoy are supreme commander, ashes of singularity singularity, company of heroes 2, steel division series. Not sure I could go back to command and conquer. Nostalgia would keep me going for a short while.

For 20 bucks that isn't bad, the original games on origin are virtually unplayable on anything over 1080 resolution.

The original COH with the Blitzkrieg mod is pretty good.
The Steel Division games are ok, just not in stellar company like the Wargame series. In my humble opinion they should have made a WW2 Wargame which would have sold like hotcakes.
Supreme Commander/FA is an awesome RTS but getting the economy down is probably the hardest part. I am great with the economy in the first 10-15 minutes but after that it seems to go downhill. Chris Taylor and company really knocked that one out of the park.

Destraex

I agree. In only started playing supcom recently after only dabbling in the past. I find the economy really challenging but in general can beat adaptiveAI now if the map is ok. The end game is a bit of a cheat though. Bit its your reward for doing well economically.

With regard to the blitzkrieg mod, a few friends like it but it suffers from bogging my system down as well as having the same problem as a lot of men of war mods, the ranges are so long that you cannot see whats attacking you. Some coh2 mods have the same problem. I feel that steel division 1&2 are superior to blitzkreig, mainly because the engine is so smooth.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Destraex on March 10, 2020, 11:27:58 PM
I agree. In only started playing supcom recently after only dabbling in the past. I find the economy really challenging but in general can beat adaptiveAI now if the map is ok. The end game is a bit of a cheat though. Bit its your reward for doing well economically.

With regard to the blitzkrieg mod, a few friends like it but it suffers from bogging my system down as well as having the same problem as a lot of men of war mods, the ranges are so long that you cannot see whats attacking you. Some coh2 mods have the same problem. I feel that steel division 1&2 are superior to blitzkreig, mainly because the engine is so smooth.

Me too, the pc I had when Supreme Commander was released was quite average at best and that was on smaller maps with less players. Now that I have a much better rig and can play at 4K I am going back and enjoying some of these older games, and SC is unplayable at 4K due to the UI being to small at 1440 it is acceptable though.

Martok

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on March 10, 2020, 01:24:06 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

Command & Conquer and Red Alert defined the RTS genre 25 years ago and are now both fully remastered in 4K by the former Westwood Studios team members at Petroglyph. Includes all 3 expansion packs, rebuilt multiplayer, a modernized UI, Map Editor, bonus gallery of unreleased FMV footage, and over 7 hours of legendary remastered music by Frank Klepacki. Welcome back, Commander.

Includes: Command & Conquer, Red Alert 1, and all expansions

Will get this just for the 4k support and remastered graphics. Anyone else interested?
Count me in!  I've long been a fan of the first two C&C: Red Alert games, so this is a Day One purchase for me.  O0 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

fran

I understand the love for the game series. I do have that with the Close Combat series.

I've played the Command & C series a lot. Including with friends over a LAN.  But would I make the time to replay it, taken into account the limited time and other games waiting unplayed?

Grim.Reaper

Releasing this week....never played the original but always have been intrigued as to why so many people liked it.....but not really good at RTS so not sure I have the patience to give it a go.....tempted though.