Burden of Command Announced

Started by Mad Russian, June 30, 2017, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Excellent write up on RPS - thanks for the link

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

fabius

Quote from: lhughes42 on November 18, 2017, 03:36:34 PM
....-- Fabius -- thanks for your growing interest!  Brains and Bullets by Leo Murray discusses this a decent bit including has that stat has *risen* to quite absurd levels in say Afghanistan.  Very interesting read, and the book is a tactical gamer's history and theory dream IMHO. Hope you'll pick it up. Don't have pages off top of my head sorry.

Thanks !! just added Brains and Bullets to the cart.

Yeah, I was aware of the huge ammunition and ordinance expenditure in Afghan. Seems to have gone up exponentially.

Father Ted

Just watched "12 o'clock High" - could have easily been named "Burden of Command".  If any haven't seen it, well worth a watch (I found it on Netflix)

lhughes42

Excellent  recommendation! I had the writers watch some of the briefing scenes for how to make a briefing compelling!

Any other leadership movie recommendations anyone? I'd be most interested.

Luke
Burden of Command lead
Steam: http://bit.ly/BoCSteam

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Quote from: lhughes42 on November 23, 2017, 03:37:14 PM
Excellent  recommendation! I had the writers watch some of the briefing scenes for how to make a briefing compelling!

Any other leadership movie recommendations anyone? I'd be most interested.

Luke

The Thin Red Line.

If you can sift through the artsy fartsy stuff, there is a pretty good story underneath it. Unfortunately, it took me about 15yrs and several attempts watching it to arrive at this conclusion.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

Father Ted

Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk! on November 23, 2017, 08:03:55 PM
The Thin Red Line.

If you can sift through the artsy fartsy stuff, there is a pretty good story underneath it. Unfortunately, it took me about 15yrs and several attempts watching it to arrive at this conclusion.

Actually the book is the more interesting look at men in battle - the rivalries, jealousies, felonies, even love affairs, which rumble on between combatants who are ostensibly on the same side.

Quote from: lhughes42 on November 23, 2017, 03:37:14 PM
I had the writers watch some of the briefing scenes for how to make a briefing compelling!

Luke

I was putting it forward more as a take on how those in command have to make decisions which deplete their courage.  FWIW, Edward Fox as Lt Gen Horrocks delivers a fantastic briefing in "A Bridge Too Far".

Another film worth checking out for command-strife issues is "Attack!" (at least I think that's the title).  It's of a similar vintage to "12 o'clock High".

Philippe

I've been thinking about what might be useful writing models for the Burden of Command decision process, and three games that come to mind are This is the Police, The King of Dragon Pass, and Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

This is the Police isn't a wargame, but you spend much of your time assembling teams to deal with situations or potential situations.  Sometimes when something pops you have to make a tactical choice and the right answer isn't obvious, if it even exists.  During the course of a day you'll see a half dozen multi-option situations, and after a while your choices will begin to pile up.  It's on Steam and it's worth taking a look at.

Dragon Pass is a great for confronting the player with ambiguous branching choices, and I'll always love Barbarossa because it puts you in a position where you have to make the wrong choice, know that it's the wrong choice, but do it anyway for political reasons.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Mad Russian

It's time for the 'end of the year looking back - beginning of the year looking forward' post.

Early in 2017 I joined the team of BoC. At the time I'd not been active on the design team for Flashpoint Campaigns for more than a year. They were continually doing updates and bug fixing. I have no skill set for writing code so I was simply waiting on them. Not seeing movement toward something I was qualified to do on that team I was in limbo when Luke came calling. He sent me an invitation to look at 'The Dream'.  What turned out to be 'Burden of Command'.

While I wasn't actively involved with a computer game project at the time I was gearing up to get my own board game series published. BoC would have to dovetail in with the plans I had for that if it was going to be worthwhile for both their team and myself. I took a couple of months to look the game over, and to see what my own requirements for time were, at that time. Luke actually thought I'd forgotten him and wasn't interested. Most of the time I took was to try to determine if this project would be something I would support. In my 'career' in the hobby, I've had a single rule; make what I like and share that with others. That must work because I had one gamer comment that I had an uncanny ability to get myself in the best game projects around. I don't know about that, but, I do consider myself to be lucky with regards to what I like seems to be what many other gamers like as well.

My scenario expertise hasn't yet come into play with BoC. It will this year. So, all this past year I've contributed by researching the battles, armies, time period, etc...which let the writers do the scenario briefings!! YES!!

All water under the bridge as 2017 begins to fade in the distance...

In 2018, I will actually do what I was brought to do with the team. I'll create the scenarios. I'll help cram as much history into the game as we can get there, with the support of the rest of the team, we are all researchers in one form or another.  To the point, hopefully, that you will all have the game by the end of the year.

I traveled more last year than I have in decades. That's not in my future at this point for 2018. I should be more grounded. Which will be a good thing because, of course, my schedule is rapidly filling up. BoC is set for release this year, as is Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm, as is Fire Team: Red Eclipse.  That should mean very little time left for running around the country. I still intend on going back to the WBC con and a trip to the Rocky Mountains again but that would still cut my travel in half for this year.

The progress on all my projects is gaining momentum. I am excited for all the possibilities for this coming year.

The BoC team has been evolving, with more talented members having been added. This is very much a 'Dream Team' to be on. Which should show up for you gamers in the way the game looks, acts and immerses you!

So, here's to a great gaming year in 2018!!

From us to you, sooner than later.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Barthheart

Thanks for the update MR. Looking forward to all those projects becoming reality.... even if my wallet isn't....

Mad Russian

*Double post.*

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

lhughes42

This recent originally unsolicited quote from one of our playtesters a former US Army Captain who served in Iraq made my and the team's day...

"As a former Armored Cavalry officer and Iraq veteran, I have been continually impressed with the effort put into 'getting it right' by Luke and his team...You will actually know and care about the men you send into harm's way. You will be forced to weigh their lives against the mission. You will win or lose their trust... "
R.A. Mathis:  Author,  Armor Officer,  Iraq Veteran

You can find I Rob if you care to reach out at @RA_Mathis on Twitter. Here's the original post there:
https://twitter.com/BurdenOfCommand/status/942815980845121536

Luke (project lead for Burden of Command)

Burden of Command lead

lhughes42

As a further update we are thrilled to find out yesterday that:
https://twitter.com/BurdenOfCommand/status/947998795719098368

The direct video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1011&v=OkLi0uvFNiM

OK hope I've not gotten to aboard my own hype train 8-) But hard not to get excited by these as a little indie!

Happy New Year everyone,
  Luke
Burden of Command lead

Jarhead0331

Can you please provide photo details for the image attached as .png to your post? Its one I don't recall seeing before and the youth of the soldier in the foreground is striking (seriously, he looks 12 years old). He also seems to be the only one not smiling, as if he is the lone soldier who knows that they are all about to take a bite of a huge $hit sandwich.

Sorry for the non-sequitur, but thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18