What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

You're very welcome. Careful though. Lots of Yankee spies around here.  :(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Gusington

Muckrakers and scalawags? My buddies and always thought that sounded like a breakfast cereal. 'Two scoops of scalawags in every box.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on July 27, 2016, 05:50:23 PM
Don't do it Gus. It's a stinker.

I think I can fairly say it's an acquired taste. My opinion of it bounces around a lot every five minutes, whenever I catch parts of it (I've watched it all the way through at least 3 times -- still bounces around a lot). It doesn't help that I never believe one single thing written for the kid. "Watch out, don't trust him! He killed Mozart!" The writers fail in having me believe that kid ever watched Amadeus.  :crazy2: Heck, I've never watched Amadeus!

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 27, 2016, 06:55:59 PM
Gandalf's in it. Nuff said.

And Gandalf plays Death.

Which isn't as remotely as awesome as that sounds like it should be.

Which is emblematic of the movie.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Damn. Does that guy ever take a vacation? Oh, wait. He did and wrote a book while doing it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Just finished Pillar in the Sky.  It was ok.  I was expecting a lot more.  The story is about building a space elevator.  Unfortunately, it is all from the perspective of just a couple of people, all working on the project.  It would have been better if there were perspectives taken from those opposing the project. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

I finished Monster Hunter Memoirs: Grunge less than 12 hours after I got it.  Very hard to put down.

mirth

Picked up used, good condition copy of Massie's Dreadnought yesterday for $4. Such an epic book.

Also recently started The Generals - https://www.amazon.com/Generals-American-Military-Command-World/dp/0143124099
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I'm at about 86% with On Basilisk Station. The first 3/4 of the book is build up to the actual action, which you can see coming a mile away. However, it builds such anticipation up in me that I'm almost on the edge of my seat when reading it. I wish I had more time than to read just a few pages here and there, but it's damn good.

The only thing that I didn't like was the author just starting the Big Chase between the Fearless and the Sirius, and then goes into a multi-page, detailed description of the history of FTL travel. Not that the discussion didn't dovetail nicely into the actual action going on, and props to him for not just vomiting all of this out within the first 20 pages or so, but dammit, it was like breaking to commercial RIGHT at the good part.  ;D

Plus it was pretty boring. Authors that do that turn me off, but I'll keep going with this. The author of Snow Crash ruined the book when he started on and on and on with a religious discussion the protagonist (literally, Protagonist) had with some AI librarian. It might be central to that book, but I tolerated it for about a dozen pages before I moved on to something else.

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 15, 2016, 05:40:00 AM
I'm at about 86% with On Basilisk Station. The first 3/4 of the book is build up to the actual action, which you can see coming a mile away. However, it builds such anticipation up in me that I'm almost on the edge of my seat when reading it. I wish I had more time than to read just a few pages here and there, but it's damn good.

The only thing that I didn't like was the author just starting the Big Chase between the Fearless and the Sirius, and then goes into a multi-page, detailed description of the history of FTL travel. Not that the discussion didn't dovetail nicely into the actual action going on, and props to him for not just vomiting all of this out within the first 20 pages or so, but dammit, it was like breaking to commercial RIGHT at the good part.  ;D

Plus it was pretty boring. Authors that do that turn me off, but I'll keep going with this. The author of Snow Crash ruined the book when he started on and on and on with a religious discussion the protagonist (literally, Protagonist) had with some AI librarian. It might be central to that book, but I tolerated it for about a dozen pages before I moved on to something else.

Glad your liking BC. Just remember.  Keep in mind that Honorverse is in no small part Weber recreating blue water naval warfare in space.  You can think of OBS being at the beginning of WWI. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

Glad you're enjoying it BC. I think the first several books are the best.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 15, 2016, 03:52:36 PM

Glad you're enjoying it BC. I think the first several books are the best.

read em all up until she got involved with the much older guy and she moved into the political arena. the series definitely has some intense fight sequences.

airboy

I'm reading Mr. Lincoln's Army by Bruce Catton.

I got it on a $1.99 Kindle ebook deal.  Just got finished reading about Pope getting crushed at 2nd Manassas and McClellan regaining command of the Army of the Potomac.

bob48

All the Catton books are worth reading, excellent indeed.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!