B-17F - My next project

Started by JudgeDredd, July 05, 2012, 03:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

This is my next project. Unfortunately, looking in the box the model looks a little simple, the instructions look VERY simple and there's a couple of bits I'm not overly impressed with - but that's looking at it as a kit...it may well fit well together.

The Stuka I had (put pictures up of) was an Academy model and I remember thinking it fitted quite well together - so I could be worrying about nothing here...

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

This is one done by Peter Kormos and he has pictures of it at Hyperscale http://hsfeatures.com/features04/b17gpk_1.htm

again - this is not mine!
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 05, 2012, 03:19:45 PM
This is one done by Peter Kormos and he has pictures of it at Hyperscale http://hsfeatures.com/features04/b17gpk_1.htm

again - this is not mine!

Cool! That plane would have been part of KG 200, a Luftwaffe unit that flew mainly captured aircraft for a number of clandestine missions as well as deploying experiments such as Mistel.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Bang on Staggerwing.

Of course, I'm not doing that version. I'll do the one that comes out the box. That way, comparison is more difficult  :P
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Might as well update this one too...unfortunately this one has since met it's demise - but I learned quite a bit doing it.

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

What happened? Did you let your nephews play with it?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

JudgeDredd

No - it got knocked off the windowsill several times - and it wasn't a very "strong" build anyway. Also one of the undercarriage actually broke at the strut section.

I decided to chuck it and I will be getting a better build one day
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

I built a 1/32 scale Fort back when I was a teen. Damn thing was so big I had to hang it from the ceiling when done since I had no shelf wide enough. I also recall building a 1/24 Stuka while in my 20's but never quite finished it. In my mind's eye it was only slightly smaller than the Datsun B210 I was driving back then.

JudgeDredd

lol. I'm not sure what scale they were - probably 1/24 - but I've had a Stuka and a Messerschmitt when I was younger (but working age - you just couldn't afford that kind of model if you weren't working and my mum and dad couldn't) and from what I remember I never finished either of those.

You tend to think the bigger they are the easier they are to build - and that's true in part, at least from a "fiddly bits" perspective - but they have such detail your painting has to be exceptional and you need to have considerable staying power.

I think I've found a balance with 1:48 for aircraft and 1:35 for AFV's. My fingers are too big and my eyesight is too bad for 1:72 now.
Alba gu' brath