Mount and Blade Bannerlord

Started by Bison, June 12, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: glen55 on April 02, 2020, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2020, 07:11:55 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 01, 2020, 06:16:12 PM
This thread has unexpectedly reminded me that I never even came close to finishing Witcher 3.  I think I got to the part with the "Bodkin" if you are familiar with the game.

I dunno...it didn't grab me like it did so many others.  I liked Skyrim far more.  But, I've heard such overwhelming praise for W3 that I feel like I really need to finish it, if for no other reason than to see what the fuss is all about.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into it...it just won't grab me. Not sure why.  :-[

I think one reason for me is that I just don't and can't identify with Geralt. That could be the unifying thread that cuts across all the Witcher games. I've tried to get into them probably 6-8 times, including a recent 2nd shot at Witcher 3, and made it to maybe the halfway point twice.

That is part of it for me too. Not the whole issue, but certainly something I have reflected upon. I wish there was some possibility to customize the look of Geralt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^At the expense of angering the Bannerlord crowd, there are tons of armor sets, weapons, spells, etc., so Geralt is customizeable in Witcher 3.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Toonces on April 01, 2020, 07:15:04 PM
WRT Bannerlord, I dunno.  Something about this release left me cold.  I guess I was expecting after 8 years to be a "full" release.  I'm sort of over the early release nonsense, TBH. 

I like what you guys are saying; I just don't feel that enthusiasm to jump right in like I expected.

Honestly, I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I really like what I've seen when I dipped my toes, but I was expecting the basic systems from Warband to at least be in place.  It's fun to fire up and play custom battles, but for campaigning I'll be sticking with Warband and mods until this becomes more complete.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

hellfish6

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 02, 2020, 01:34:41 PM
Quote from: glen55 on April 02, 2020, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2020, 07:11:55 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 01, 2020, 06:16:12 PM
This thread has unexpectedly reminded me that I never even came close to finishing Witcher 3.  I think I got to the part with the "Bodkin" if you are familiar with the game.

I dunno...it didn't grab me like it did so many others.  I liked Skyrim far more.  But, I've heard such overwhelming praise for W3 that I feel like I really need to finish it, if for no other reason than to see what the fuss is all about.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into it...it just won't grab me. Not sure why.  :-[

I think one reason for me is that I just don't and can't identify with Geralt. That could be the unifying thread that cuts across all the Witcher games. I've tried to get into them probably 6-8 times, including a recent 2nd shot at Witcher 3, and made it to maybe the halfway point twice.

That is part of it for me too. Not the whole issue, but certainly something I have reflected upon. I wish there was some possibility to customize the look of Geralt.

My longstanding hope for the series (Witcher 4, if you will) is that eventually they'll let you do that. Build a character, choose a path and be released into the world. I doubt that'll happen, though, because that's what every other game out there seems to do. The Witcher series IS Geralt.

Sparhawk

I'm a big fan of the "Prophecy of Pendor" mod for Mount and Blade. It like other mods add so much to the game play that I hesitate to jump in until mods can catch up.

hellfish6

Quote from: Sparhawk on April 02, 2020, 08:13:06 PM
I'm a big fan of the "Prophecy of Pendor" mod for Mount and Blade. It like other mods add so much to the game play that I hesitate to jump in until mods can catch up.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Great mod, last I played it.

Yskonyn

Indeed a great mod, but it makes an already hard game tough as nails!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Ok, so what's the current verdict on this game?  It's on sale for 40 clams.  Yay or nay?    ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

I'd say nay if you want uninterrupted play and a finished campaign.

Yay if you just want to engage in the gameplay already and experience the huge battles, but don't mind placeholder stuff occasionally and are not afraid to have to start over because a patch isn't savegame compatible (some new features have required a restart and my guess is that more will follow)

The game can be super fun in its current state and most things are in, but it clearly is not complete yet if you look at the campaign with its diplomacy and dynasty building options.
It already rocks pretty good as a battle simulator however!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

Toonces, everything I've read so far says to hold off.  Until the RPG/campaign parts of the game are complete, it's just not worth picking up at this point. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

hellfish6

Yeah, it's fun but it's still not complete. I've pledged fealty to one king, I've got the most renown and fame of anyone else in my faction and over 350,000 gold but I can't do anythign with it. My king claims all the lands I take, and I can't do anything about it. Still, the fighting is fun. Tactics work!

Toonces

Nay takes the day.

Thanks Grogs!   :peace:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ArizonaTank

I like it alot, and could not see myself going back to previous games. But then again, I really enjoy the battles. They are so much better in Bannerlord.

It is true that if you want the broader political game, it is not there yet....just in whispers. 

If you liked Warband for its battles...then get Bannerlord. If you are new to the games...start with Warband.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Martok

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 28, 2020, 11:38:15 AM
I like it alot, and could not see myself going back to previous games. But then again, I really enjoy the battles. They are so much better in Bannerlord.

It is true that if you want the broader political game, it is not there yet....just in whispers. 
The battles in Bannerlord do indeed appear to be a marked improvement over those in Warband.  The mechanics & UI have received a much-needed overhaul. 

But since I like the game's concept more for the RPG/campaign aspects, I am content to wait.  :) 

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 28, 2020, 11:38:15 AM
If you liked Warband for its battles...then get Bannerlord. If you are new to the games...start with Warband.
I've really gotta try and take deep(er) dive into Warband.  I picked it up through GOG ages ago, and even installed the game, but I've never done more than dink around a little with it.  I found the combat mechanics a bit clunky, but I suspect that was more my own fault than the game's. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Martok on June 28, 2020, 07:17:55 PM
I've really gotta try and take deep(er) dive into Warband.  I picked it up through GOG ages ago, and even installed the game, but I've never done more than dink around a little with it.  I found the combat mechanics a bit clunky, but I suspect that was more my own fault than the game's.

If you are going to take a look back at Warband, I recommend the "Viking Conquest" DLC. The game goes back to the period around 800AD and centers on a fictional Britain with parts of Europe sprinkled in (think Alfred the Great and the Netflix show "The Last Kingdom").  The DLC has some very well fleshed out story lines.

Also honorable mention should go to the "Napoleonic Wars DLC."  This is basically multiplayer only. However, one mode, the "Battle" mode is unique because each player commands a unit of about 20 - 30 "bots" who act as your unit. So you can command a group of cavalry, infantry or artillery. Its not one on one combat. As officer, you get your troops into line and link up with other units on your flanks. You then trade volleys with the enemy, smoke all around, your men falling around you. Then, the bayonet charge. It is the closest the gaming world has come to allowing your to command a Napoleonic unit in first person.

Both DLCs are available for a song during the Summer Sale.

With regard to combat in Warband, I never really became good at melee (despite 100s of hours). However, once I learned the lance and bow, I could have real effect on the battlefield. I am comfortably able to do some "hit and run". Sit outside the enemy formation, take down a few guys with arrows, then charge with a lance. But if they ever take out my horse close to their formation, or manage to box me in, I am toast.

But the "art" of the game is to have your "bots" fight the battle anyway. So my technique is less about me than commanding the bots. The critical thing for me is to never leave my horse. Mobility is critical as commander. In fact, if your horse is shot out from under you, find another one quickly (there are usually some wandering around the battlefield after their riders have been knocked off).

Most enemy formations in Warband will attack you...even at terrible odds for them. In this case, a good defensive formation works great. I found the best way to put troops into a formation was to use the segment commands (ie. giving commands to just "archers" or just "infantry"), then issue a "follow me" command, and finally ride to a low hill or slope where you want them to defend and then give "defend here".  Then move to the next spot for the next group. In that way you can put together some nice defensive formations; for example, putting your infantry lower on a slope in front of the archers so the archers can fire, while the infantry defends. Then, if I have cavalry, I usually have them "follow me" and go to harass the enemies flanks, or attack their archers. The key here, is to spend the few minutes before the enemy arrives doing an assessment of the terrain and then setting up your troops.

The above does not work as well for enemies who refuse to budge and not attack. For those, I found that putting my archers and infantry in defense, while hitting the enemy with cavalry and retreating immediately will get them to break formation and follow your cavalry back to your defensive line.  But not always.  Sometimes you just have to attack. and the interface does not offer as many options. Still I try to use the techniques above to get the troops into ready positions, then issue charge commands.

(FYI in Bannerlord the interface to give commands is much nicer and smoother. and you can easily accomplish some fairly complex battle plans)

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.