Lock 'n Load Tactical Digital - Game Play Video

Started by Thrawn, February 20, 2019, 10:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on February 22, 2019, 03:13:45 PM
No. Lock N Load Tactical is squad based combat.

Nations at war is company sized units in combat.

Think Squad Leader vs Panzer Blitz, if yer an old AH fan...

Thanks....and yes, I am old and an old Avalon Hill fan, Panzer Blitz was my first board wargame and introduction to a hobby that thrives these many decades later.

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on February 22, 2019, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 22, 2019, 03:13:45 PM
No. Lock N Load Tactical is squad based combat.

Nations at war is company sized units in combat.

Think Squad Leader vs Panzer Blitz, if yer an old AH fan...

Thanks....and yes, I am old and an old Avalon Hill fan, Panzer Blitz was my first board wargame and introduction to a hobby that thrives these many decades later.

Luftwaffe was my first game followed quickly by Squad Leader... and then all the rest...  :D

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2019, 03:16:26 PM
...(unless Barth rolls up in garbage Italian armour and shoots up your only hex with AT capable troops in it and they refuse to rally for the rest of the game).

Well... they were just standing there....

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Barthheart on February 22, 2019, 03:28:06 PM
...(unless Barth rolls up in garbage Italian armour and shoots up your only hex with AT capable troops in it and they refuse to rally for the rest of the game).

And your first instinct was to shoot them?!  Are you insane?  I need an emotional support Gus. 

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2019, 03:49:27 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 22, 2019, 03:28:06 PM

And your first instinct was to shoot them?!  Are you insane?  I need an emotional support Gus.

In my defence, my first instinct was to run them down... you know.... grease my treads...

jomni

Quote from: Barthheart on February 22, 2019, 10:04:55 AM
Quote from: acctingman on February 22, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
Pardon my ignorance....

Will there be an editor to make your own scenarios/battles? Does anyone know if the game keeps track of losses after a battle?

Thanks

Not sure if the Battle Generator is in yet but should be planned for...
There is a list of losses at the end of scenarios if that's what you mean.

The boardgame rules has Battle Generator as far as I can recall. Just a matter of porting.

Thrawn

Here is a Narrative of our Lock 'n Load Tactical Digital of the Scenario Vierville. 

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Thrawn on February 20, 2019, 10:13:38 PM
Here is a quick look at some gameplay with Lock 'n Load Tactical Digital.
The release date is not set but as you can see we are almost there.-

looking very nice...thrawn i know you can't give a release date, but can you at least say if we are days, weeks, or months away?

JasonPratt

Between this and Nations at War digital, I am about to lose a significant amount of cash...  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

I forgot about Nations at War digital.  :hide:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Crossroads

Quote from: bbmike on February 23, 2019, 12:50:09 PM
Here's hoping they add the new WaW'85 stuff to NaW Digital, similar to how this game is to include stuff from WW2 to Nam to Cold War what-ifs...  :dreamer:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on February 23, 2019, 02:16:13 PM
Here's hoping they add the new WaW'85 stuff to NaW Digital, similar to how this game is to include stuff from WW2 to Nam to Cold War what-ifs...  :dreamer:

Nope. WaW 85 will probably get it's own program.

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on February 23, 2019, 04:37:45 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on February 23, 2019, 02:16:13 PM

Nope. WaW 85 will probably get it's own program.

Why not, NaW and WaW'85 ruleset is a tad different iirc. It's been a while since I've played NaW though. And of course only read the new WaW'85 rulebook.

Just get it out so we can buy it!  O0
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Moreb

OK, I've studied the videos in depth and something need to be said of the UI;

It is absolutely amazing. You can see that the developers went with a very minimalist UI without a ton of buttons on the screen at once. Depending on the action, the appropriate buttons are presented on screen and with things like Move/Attack the actions are quickly executed with a simple R/L Click. The stats are clearly laid out in the windows that open (save rally) and even the select units screen where you decide which units in a stack are selected is brilliant. The window for selecting units in a hex is also incredible. Not only is it quick and concise as to which units are selected, I really like the layout especially the part of the window that shows the Other Units In Hex.

All of these things don't happen by accident. Considerable thought must have been given to it and I applaud developers that think outside the box and try to move things forward. IMO, a good UI is one that minimizes mouse movement and clicks. It looks like this UI has that in mind.

Heck, just look at the Reinforcement window. You pick up and drag weapons to the squads that you want. Fantastic. Innovative.

The movement paths are clearly shown as are reachable hexes and those that are not. Op fire lines are well represented and the LoS tool is crisp and sharp clearly showing what degrades and what blocks LoS.  Not to mention the large Melee window that adds to the sense of urgency.

I wish there was a better display of info in the game log window. Color coding the results would be a great improvement. Green for Good/Passed, Red for Bad/Failed and Orange for things like Shaken would help break up the monotony of the text in the window as would some spacing. That is more a wish thing but what I saw as really missing in the window was with an eliminated unit in melee. IMO it should state which side lost the unit. Also, for the Gliders missing their mark, an entry for the Shaken units would be welcomed in the panel.

For that matter it would be nice to state the sides and hex numbers in every entry.

i.e, Instead of stating;

Attacker rolls 6+6; defender rolls 1+2

Maybe it should read

Attacker (Ger I-6) rolls 6+6; Defender (US J-6) rolls 1+2

I noticed that Hex numbers are important to victory conditions so it would be nice to see a small display of the current hex moused over.

Again, I am very impressed with the quality of the UI. Unity of Battle, although not a game that had any longevity with me, had a great UI because they dared to do things differently. I think LnL has raised the bar.

Kudos.

Now for a few questions.

1) Is there online Multiplayer?

2) Editor?

3)  HoS had some great 3rd party scenarios made for it. Given the incredible talent of some gamers will it be possible that those inclined might use their skills again to bring new, home brewed content?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Grim.Reaper

Recent playthrough posted....looks interested and will have many modules, even NAM.  Based on some comments in the video, sounds like they may distribute this the same way as command ops where base game is free, then you have to but all the modules. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4gBOTFLrOs