Main Menu

Mad FRIDAY!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 10, 2019, 05:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Hmmmm...again it's going to be a sort of pot luck weekend for me. Maybe some Armored Brigade, Combat Mission, Star Citizen, DCS, Uboat...? Who knows...

Everybody enjoy and have a happy Mother's Day.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

nelmsm

Off to see my urologist this morning for the annual check of my plumbing but then have the rest of the day to do as I please. Going to answer PBEM files first and spend some time with Armored Brigade, CMANO, and EUIV

Jarhead0331

^sounds like fun. The PBEMing, I mean.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Weather permitting - yard stuffs.  Will scope some houses out too - they're out of state so that's one day shot to snot for sure.

Huzzah!

W8taminute

Awesome tune selection JH. 

I'll be playing a mod for Civ III Conquests, some Pax Nova, and probably Uboat.  Other than that I'll be spending time with family over the Mother's Day weekend. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I had some fun last night toodling around in The Isle, which while it is far from the best dinosaur game on the market (that's probably still Ark: Survival Evolved or whatever it's called), is definitely the best dinosaur game where you play as a dinosaur. (Human characters are currently not even in the game, although modern and native types are planned.)

It is absolutely only a multiplayer experience right now: AI is limited to spawning three types of herbivores, at least one of which was so not-expected to be playable that even though the devs put it into the "progression" mode as the first herbivore, its scenting (and possibly eating) mechanics don't exist. So it can't find food (only one type of shrub is edible) and even when it can it can't eat, so it starves to death. Looks adorable while starving to death, but...!

The dinos considered playable are a hoot, tho. If you want a pure horror experience, spawn into a high population map as a dryosaur and see how long you survive! My most interesting run last night was playing as a juvenile diabloceratops: a smaller trike species with crazier horns once it gets older but which is basically a mobile potato as a youngster! With no speed and no protection to amount to anything, my only advantage was a low metabolism but then I couldn't grow as quickly either since I didn't get hungry as quickly. I spawned in just as the sun was going down, and trundled steadily across the huge map in the dark trying to find a herd for protection. I made brief friends with a Galimimus player along the way, and got adopted as a pet briefly by a bemused Allosaur player, who wasn't hungry and thought I looked cute and pitiable. And then before I grew faster and better able to survive by myself..... well, Allosaurs are only a Mesopredator after all. (Though apex for their time I suppose.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Not around much but if I get the chance AssCreed - Odyssey and the FoG 2 Darius campaign. My Sparta campaign has hit the 'realm divide' portion - everyone wants me dead - and has become a bit of a slog.

Also pre-ordered the upcoming Conan rts - was offered for 20% off at Green Man, for about 24 dollah.

My pre-orders have dropped to about nil finally but something about this Conan game intrigued me. Comes out May 30.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

Still playing our 5 player forum game of Founding Fathers over at the Quarter to Three forums.
Just started alpha testing Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2, but I'm under NDA so don't ask.    :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

GroggyGrognard

More of Days Gone this weekend. The game is a slow burn and really opens up after the first 10ish hours of gameplay. So far it has been a lot fun. Some of the reviews have criticized the game unfairl.

Have a great weekend, Grogs!

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Pete Dero

Quote from: Geezer on May 10, 2019, 09:31:44 AM
Just started alpha testing Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2, but I'm under no NDA so just ask.    :)

OK.  If you insist do tell us more  >:D.

For me it could be Arma 3 and Uboat.

JasonPratt

Since we might as well not even ask about WitE2  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D...

...how about sharing some information on your Founding Fathers game and what's going on there?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

Off this weekend hoping to see my mum for Mum's Day. :)

Not quite sure on the gaming list - will update.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Geezer

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 10, 2019, 11:38:08 AM
...how about sharing some information on your Founding Fathers game and what's going on there?

We started playing on March 1st.  The game starts with Washington as President in his first term.  We just completed the election of 1844 where the ticket of Daniel Webster, one of my statesmen, and Roger B. Taney were elected to a second term as President and VP respectively.  There will be 12 more years before the game will probably end.  I say probably because there is a new expansion that takes the game all the way to World War I, but I'm guessing a couple of players will drop out when we reach the end of the original game so we won't go that far.  There are a lot of smoke filled room negotiations going on all the time and it's a fun game.  It was inspired by Avalon Hill's Republic of Rome.

The game:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35423/founding-fathers

Our forum game:  https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/founding-fathers-forum-game-a-republic-if-you-can-keep-it/140823

I'm pretty sure a new game will be starting when this one ends if anyone here has the game and would like to play.

Edit - And no it's not a computer wargame so it's probably off topic in this forum.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 10, 2019, 08:33:28 AM
Not around much but if I get the chance AssCreed - Odyssey and the FoG 2 Darius campaign. My Sparta campaign has hit the 'realm divide' portion - everyone wants me dead - and has become a bit of a slog.

Also pre-ordered the upcoming Conan rts - was offered for 20% off at Green Man, for about 24 dollah.

My pre-orders have dropped to about nil finally but something about this Conan game intrigued me. Comes out May 30.

New Field of Glory 2 expansion featuring the Vikings/ Charlamagne etc just announced....😉

Thought you may be interested 😉
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

^ Dark Ages FOG2 sounds awesome.  Thanks for the heads up!

This weekend, I've got my eye on the new Armored Brigade content.  Might switch it up with JTS Japan '45 and, when I'm feeling like getting boots-on-the-ground, some Squad. 

Just played Squad for the first time the other day and I loved it -- it's like Arma, but it actually runs above 25 fps!  It really fills the void left by the disappointment that was Insurgency: Sandstorm.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao