Humble Bundle EU IV

Started by Ian C, January 21, 2020, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

I find the more I pause it to review what is going on, the longer it takes me to lose.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bboyer66

Quote from: MC on January 22, 2020, 10:45:00 AM
I find the more I pause it to review what is going on, the longer it takes me to lose.

LOL

Ian C

I bought the lot. $17 was a no-brainer.

I've played EU 4 previously about 2 hours. The DLC adds an incredible amount of detail and options but also a great deal of complexity. I guess this is one of those games that takes ages to master.

I'm particularly interested in the ability to play a pirate nation and also that you can convert your finished Crusader Kings II savegame into a starting EU 4 game.

I also have a spare EU 4 base game code if anyone wants to trade?

CJReich46

Quote from: Ian C on January 23, 2020, 07:19:50 AM
I bought the lot. $17 was a no-brainer.

I've played EU 4 previously about 2 hours. The DLC adds an incredible amount of detail and options but also a great deal of complexity. I guess this is one of those games that takes ages to master.

I'm particularly interested in the ability to play a pirate nation and also that you can convert your finished Crusader Kings II savegame into a starting EU 4 game.

I also have a spare EU 4 base game code if anyone wants to trade?

Ditto.  :-[  I folded.  Besides I've kicked the "Oh well I'll wait till it comes on sale..." for too long.  Strike while iron is hot I suppose.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Grim.Reaper

I saw this at another site, Paradox testing out a subscription model....not sure how I feel about this, on the surface not seeing how this would be any cheaper than buying DLC but maybe the cost would be cheap.....guess we will see.

Paradox feels your pain. The din of gamers wanting to get into their grand strategy games, but unable to get over the hump of hundreds of dollars worth of DLC, (I'm looking at you, Crusader Kings 2) has been heard. It can be daunting to try a Paradox game that's been around for a few years. Which packs are "essential" and which are mere cosmetic foofery? Rejoice, you cash-strapped folks! Paradox is testing a subscription model.

"A subscription model has been suggested to us on many occasions, so we thought we'd run a test to see how popular such a service would be."

The latest update for Europe Universalis IV includes hooks for the subscription test. According to the team, the cost hasn't been nailed down, and only a limited group of people will be included in the test. Not surprisingly, the developers tried to keep details of the update a secret, but the persistent gamers figured it out.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: bobarossa on January 21, 2020, 09:57:45 PM
608 hours.  Last time in 2018.  You guys know those counters run even when you've tab switched out to other programs, right.

Yes, yes!  This is EXACTLY why I have > 6000 hours in the game.  True story!

There's a lot to like with it, and also a lot of flaws.  But the diplo planning and expansion optimization make it enjoyable and even now I come back to it sometimes.

88mmkwk

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this deal - seems like a crazy amount of content for $17.... But I've got a couple of questions...

The HumbleBundle $17 deal includes the base game and a sack full of DLC's.  It sounds like a great deal;
Reading through the EU4 DLC Guide on Strategy Gamer (https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/europa-universalis-iv-dlc-buying-guide/0, each of the listed DLC's seems to modify gameplay in a unique way specific to that DLC.

My questions are:

1)  As someone who has never played EU4, how the heck would I know what to do with ALL of the DLC's in the HumbleBundle deal? Install them all?  Install none and learn and then add one at a time?

2)  Would a newbie like me learn to play the base game only to lose what was learned as addition of one or more DLC's change the game?

3)  Is any combination of core game + DLC's compatible?  If I grabbed - say - 4 of the DLC's and installed them, would it possibly be a "bad recipe" due to the mix and taint the experience?

The value in the deal makes it practically a no-brainer, but I just want to understand a bit more of what I'm thinking of biting in to....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

TheMeInTeam

A lot of the game's newer patches kind of assume you have DLC.  It's probably best to just start with it; usually they add mechanics that give flavor to a particular region of the world.  Like India w/o Dharma and Wealth of Nations will instead just play like Europe but with fewer events and no new mechanics at all.

Playing in the new world sucks, for the wrong reasons.  Most of the old world is pretty good, though you'll need to be experienced to do very well as Sub-Saharan African nations, hordes, or bottom feeder nations like Siberian councils.  Most players pick strong nations at the start to learn like France, Ottomans, etc.  I picked patch 1.4 Chimu because my friend told me it was the worst nation in the game (at the time it was true).  Play/learn how you like!

MetalDog

Spain is an excellent starting nation.  You can unite the Peninsula and you have aspirations to exploring the New World.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob