Wings Over Flanders Fields V2.0 - Coming Soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 22, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Not sure if folks saw this, but version 2.0 looks close to release, maybe sometime next week.  Below is a list of features.  It was also stated this week the expansion would cost $45 and require you to own the 1st version.  Although I did enjoy the original game and probably the best single-player WW1 flight game I played (even though you have to load CS3 first), not sure I played it enough to sink another $45 into it.  Could change my mind at some point, but for now will be on the sidelines.

----details----

Feature highlights include: 

Expanded Theatre:
Terror Over England! 

- Fly Home Defence in England - defend your country against incoming Zeppelin and Gotha Raids!

- Or attack England from a choice of the Gotha IV Equipped Bosta squadrons in Europe.

Improved Cliffs of Dover and Sea
Many new features for DX9 (Direct-X 9) rendering with options now built in via workshops to create dynamic self -shadowing of aircraft, dynamic ground shadows for ground objects, cloud shadows - all varying with the sun angle and moon.   
See trees cast their long shadow across the fields at sunset and sunrise and more!

DX9 Terrain Bump mapping and Improved Sea rendering. Lighting and sea states will vary with the weather!
Revised and improved Cliffs of Dover Geographic terrain models!
These also work well with the new lighting and look great in the rain in a choppy sea.
Expanded Campaign Features:

- New Advance Time by a day, a week, or month to allow your squad to recover.

- Leave Request now implemented - now your pilot can take a well earned leave of
48 hours or 5 days if your pilot is eligible.

Sunset shows new ground shadowing
- New Workshops settings: Encounters - High or Realistic to tweak the chances of encounters for those that want it.

- Claims System Revisions:
Workshops Setting Claims and Promotions revised, now you won't be prompted to claim or told if you have a kill for more realism.  However you can still set it to prompt you if you prefer, or bypass it completely and be awarded all kills automatically.

- New: Night activity implemented in England to reflect actual night activity in WW1.  Home Defence variants and the Gotha now have new cockpit lights for those lonely dark nights in the sky!
- Time Advance to next Historical Date if the player is in a region where historical missions are taking place (such as England Home defence for example).

Plus more, some examples;
New external Camera "Field of View" now settable in workshops (DX9 shader enabled)  to allow more natural views and screenshots.
Improved night effects, including new Searchlights
Many other improvements such as additional targets for long range bombing activity implemented in England and France.
All British French and German Squads overhauled to include for more historical craft.
Revised AI morale factors to reduce 'fight to the death' scenarios even more, and to encourage better self preservation.

Increased wind buffeting effects for player and AI craft, more bobbing!

Some Terrain revisions and improvements.

'Newly planted Growing crops' terrain now implemented in Spring - England and Europe.

Distant Dots (of Aircraft) improved to more accurately resemble 'specks' in the distance with subtle colour change.

BE2C Home Defence showing new cockpit lighting to aid hunting night time enemies!.

Expanded set of aircraft.  7 Flyable Machines and 2 Zeppelin types (AI only), and associated Squadrons to ensure comprehensive campaign usage:

Gotha GIV
    Aviatik BI
    Aviatik BII
    Fokker EIV (Twin Machine gun version!)
    Halberstadt DIII (Argus Engine)
    BE12 HD (Home Defence) with its ability to carry rockets.
    BE2c HD (Home Defence) fitted with Lewis over the wing.
and these AI only targets!
    Zeppelin R type (AI only currently)
    Zeppelin P type (AI only currently)
In total 9 additional Aircraft are included in the Expansion 

TacticalWargames

More expensive than I thought it would be..however..I know it will be well worth it.

Staggerwing

If they ever make the zeps fliable I'll be all over that bad boy.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

sandman2575

These all sound like great improvements. Excited by the time advance options and ability to go on leave. And of course, Zeppelins!  (Was hoping the Pfalz Dxii would finally get incorporated, but I'm nitpicking. This is a lot of new content.)

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 22, 2014, 07:30:32 AM
If they ever make the zeps fliable I'll be all over that bad boy.

I couldn't imagine it.  Slowwww week long flights to drop a few bombs on England and then another slowwwww flight back home.   

*ZzzzzZ*

I'm not at all enthused about the new 'Home Defence' map.  I would never play it, zeppelins or no. 

A lot of the little tweaks and additions to the sim itself are nice.  May be worth it to me, just for those (and more two seaters?). 

However, I'll not be getting anything new for WOFF until I get my CH hardware running on it properly.  I've spent a couple hours dicking with it already, to no avail.  Luckily someone else with the same issues gave me some tips on how to get them all to work.  I just gotta go back and spend more time doing it.  >:(

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on November 22, 2014, 12:16:05 PM

However, I'll not be getting anything new for WOFF until I get my CH hardware running on it properly.  I've spent a couple hours dicking with it already, to no avail.  Luckily someone else with the same issues gave me some tips on how to get them all to work.  I just gotta go back and spend more time doing it.  >:(

Nef, did you install the CH Control Manager software yet? You don't need to actually use it, but you do need to install it in order for Windows(and hence WOFF) to know what your CH controls are. When you install the Control Manager, it loads some new drivers, and that's the key.

After installing that, it's easy peasy to get the controls setup.

ArizonaTank

A little pricey for me.  Given that Rise of Flight is keeping me happy.  If this is still tied to the creaking CS3, my trigger pull point would be around $20.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2014, 05:04:32 PM

Nef, did you install the CH Control Manager software yet? You don't need to actually use it, but you do need to install it in order for Windows(and hence WOFF) to know what your CH controls are. When you install the Control Manager, it loads some new drivers, and that's the key.

Yes.

Actually, I have to go through setting up a specific CH profile with all the buttons & axes listed as a single controller and the toe brakes disabled.

Unfortunately, the WOFF 'Workshop' program refuses to use my rudder pedals (and throttle) in campaign missions.  Worked just fine in Quick Missions but I don't play those.

He suggested deleting any WOFFkeys config files in my campaigns folder(s).  Also mentioned that when mapping the rudder axis that the Workshop pop-up to do so will not register it at all, but it should still work when I get in-game despite having nothing listed in the joystick mapping section.  Bit of a mess.  I've already redone all my keymaps and such numerous times over so perhaps I should just reinstall the damn thing before trying that theory out.  Nuke it from orbit.  Only way to be sure.

Will be nice once (if?!) I get it fingered out.  There are some feature additions in the big expansion that I've been wanting.

Gusington

Pricey, but the inclusion of zeppelins and Gothas will require me to buy it. And the Home Defense campaign makes me giddy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on November 22, 2014, 05:50:07 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2014, 05:04:32 PM

Yes.

Actually, I have to go through setting up a specific CH profile with all the buttons & axes listed as a single controller and the toe brakes disabled.

Unfortunately, the WOFF 'Workshop' program refuses to use my rudder pedals (and throttle) in campaign missions.  Worked just fine in Quick Missions but I don't play those.

He suggested deleting any WOFFkeys config files in my campaigns folder(s).  Also mentioned that when mapping the rudder axis that the Workshop pop-up to do so will not register it at all, but it should still work when I get in-game despite having nothing listed in the joystick mapping section.  Bit of a mess.  I've already redone all my keymaps and such numerous times over so perhaps I should just reinstall the damn thing before trying that theory out.  Nuke it from orbit.  Only way to be sure.

Will be nice once (if?!) I get it fingered out.  There are some feature additions in the big expansion that I've been wanting.

Are your CH controls USB or serial? If they're serial, I wish you luck. Mine are USB and they show up as themselves inside the workshop after I had installed the CH control manager. Before I installed that, they showed up as "controller 1, controller 2, controller 3".

Perhaps nuking it and starting over is the best option. I actually had to do that recently when WOFF became corrupted during an unexpected power outage. It didn't take long to re-install everything, maybe an hour or so.

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 23, 2014, 08:09:06 AM

Are your CH controls USB or serial? If they're serial, I wish you luck. Mine are USB and they show up as themselves inside the workshop after I had installed the CH control manager. Before I installed that, they showed up as "controller 1, controller 2, controller 3".

Perhaps nuking it and starting over is the best option. I actually had to do that recently when WOFF became corrupted during an unexpected power outage. It didn't take long to re-install everything, maybe an hour or so.

Mine are USB.  Everything shows up fine in the WOFF workshop.  Even the stuff that doesn't actually work in campaign missions.  So it detects them all properly.  I just can't bind my rudder pedals in it.  So it requires some extra magicking beyond the large amount I already tried.

Will probably just have to reinstall.  That doesn't take long at all compared to the trial & error I've been doing. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

I'm not even sure I can get my shiny new rudder pedals and throttle working with WOFF yet, but I purchased anyway.  Because the campaign and AI is so much fun.  :D

Not even planning on flying in the new Brit Home Defense area.  But it has improved graphics, better "dot" spotting behavior, and other such improvements I've looked forward to.  Oh, and some more 2-seaters although I thought they were gonna add more French 2-seaters *cry*.

The new Zeppelins are nice big targets too, I suppose.

Gusington

You suppose?? There are friggin' Zeppelins man!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd