The "Holy %$%# It's Hot Out There" Summer 2018 Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, April 02, 2018, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Dear Windi,

Thanks for totally ignoring what I said right above this

Yours truly,

the Brant
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

trailrunner

I don't know anything about forestry, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

However, I did grow up in Southern California. I remember some bad fires when I was young (1970s).  I remember the sky being darkened from smoke.

The last couple of years I lived there, I moved from the beach to the backcountry of San Diego. I was also doing a lot of hiking. The foothills were covered with a very dense brush that was virtually impossible to hike through if there wasn't an existing trail. It did not rain much there, so this brush was very dry, and as I said, very thick. At the same time, the urban sprawl was building more and more homes into these canyons and foothills.

Even though it didn't rain much, I remember thunderstorms and lightning, but every time a storm caused a minor fire, the fire company was there to put it out immediately.  I also remember the hot and very dry Santa Ana winds in the fall. Seems like a *natural* time for a fire. I imagine that if the homes weren't there and we let the brush (and forests) burn every now and then, it wouldn't be as thick, and maybe each fire wouldn't be so massive and such a catastrophe.

I'm not making judgements. People have to live somewhere.

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2018, 06:50:34 PM
Dear Windi,

Thanks for totally ignoring what I said right above this

Yours truly,

the Brant

Dearest "the Brant",
it seems like forever since you last wrote me.
I think I was drinking Billy Carter Beer when I read your last letter.
I sometime wonder if you have forgotten me, you're biggest common folk fan.
Don't misunderstand, I love getting your letters, no matter how few and far between.
It will be a dark destitute world when I have recieved the last correspondence from you.
They are so pissy pithy and insightful, and wondrously easy to read - despite having a far too high syllable count for the likes of me.
There should, however, be more of them. They are as delightfully refreshing as a cold beer on a hot day.

I trust everything is well with you and your family and that with the new president, you are well on your way to financial sucess and freedom.
He seems like a strong upstanding fellow with good character and moral fibre. If I recall from the last letter, you were not as fond of Jimmy Carter as I, so I trust this new fellow will be much more to your liking.

Well, its getting dark now and soon I'll have to turn off the power and thus the lights and computer... gotta save at least my small corner of the world.

So I'll close with saying it was great getting your last letter. Please write me again real soon.

Signed,

a big Brant fan about 5.5 beer into the evening

Hugs and Kisses

Dougy

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

OJsDad

:DD

Very glad I wasn't drinking a beverage when I read that.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

Brant - blaming California's fiscal problems on forest stupidity is just part of the problem.  One of the reasons they don't allocate much in the way of funds is because of the eco-loon vote in California.

My brother is an arborist.  I drink regularly with a couple of forestry faculty.  They think what California does in forest management is just stupid (both the liberal and the conservative forester agree on this).

The Sierra Club and other eco-loon outfits control California.  All logging is evil.  Even logging to take out dead trees.  Especially if a road has to be built, somewhere. 

Californians pay a high price for their mono-government.  Super high taxes, electricity prices, gasoline prices and forest fires.  All of these are policy choices and they have consequences.

So yes, I believe that their state policy is driven by eco-loons.  I think it is an apt description for their actions.

bayonetbrant

If you guys can all stop injecting politics into basic complaints about the weather I will consider unlocking the thread
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Windigo

Soooooooo,
what's your go to adult beverage for when the temps go ballistic?

1/. Frosty cold beer
2/. Rum and coke, heavily iced
3/. Sangria

bayonetbrant

Sir Slash

Rum & Coke for me. Or maybe a Rum & Coke & Rum-- heavily iced.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

No adult beverages for me, but I do like very cold cider.  O:-)

Or a cold cran-grape mix.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

No adult pops for you JP?

I figured you for a pressed whiskey sour kinda guy.....

Gusington

He drinks the whiskey produced from the enemies he has pressed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.