Running thread: Quality Long-form Journalism

Started by bayonetbrant, October 19, 2015, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

What really happened with Vista? (little heavy on the tech stuff, but an interesting read)

https://hackernoon.com/what-really-happened-with-vista-4ca7ffb5a1a
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

mirth

mirth

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 11:57:26 AM
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/blade-runners-designer-on-creating-the-future

For the past few years I've thought that the stylistic heir to the Blade Runner was the remake of Total Recall with Kate Beckinsale and Colin Farrell.  That movie really looks like someone just moved the Blade Runner sets 10 years further into the future and then turned the lights on.  It's not nearly as good of a movie.  I'm just talking about the visual/set design.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 12:15:58 PM
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/blade-runners-designer-on-creating-the-future

For the past few years I've thought that the stylistic heir to the Blade Runner was the remake of Total Recall with Kate Beckinsale and Colin Farrell.  That movie really looks like someone just moved the Blade Runner sets 10 years further into the future and then turned the lights on.  It's not nearly as good of a movie.  I'm just talking about the visual/set design.

Haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 12:20:07 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 12:15:58 PM

Haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out.

It's worth seeing just for Kate....   :dreamer:

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on June 07, 2017, 02:02:35 PM
It's worth seeing just for Kate....   :dreamer:

hell.  yes.

(incidentally, I share a birthday with her  :smitten: :smitten:)

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant