Fire In the Lake

Started by Mad Russian, December 29, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

I'm going to delve into the rules a bit and try to play through the tutorial provided in TTS. I'm not very proficient with using the program but right now I don't have the space to leave the actual game set up. It arrived and is quite heavy. Always a good sign. Appreciate the clarification on the rules and how you explained it. I'll use caution when going through the AAR.

Jason, when you run a demo are you talking about doing so live through TTS? Is that what you mean?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

Appreciate the info Jason. I'll keep it in mind while viewing. My game arrived and it's heavy. Always a good sign.

When you say a demo, are you talking about a live event through TTS?

JasonPratt

Yes, a live event through TTS.

As long as you have Steam, you don't even strictly need TTS! -- you can watch 'over-the-shoulder' at a ten second delay. The game has no secret information, so you could play that way, too.

Relatedly, I survived the not-vacation (as did the family), and I'm back home with my giant home computer at last...  :smitten: I miss "the Presence" whenever I'm gone, though I did take my Surface. (But mostly tried to catch up on reading.)

I don't mind doing a live demo of the game more than once. Saturday or perhaps even Sunday morning might work best for Ysk, since he's going to be Zulu or +1 I suppose. Central US should be -6, so a 6 or 7 hour difference. (Or 8? ...unsure how far east Holland goes.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Moreb

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 18, 2019, 06:09:16 PM
Yes, a live event through TTS.

As long as you have Steam, you don't even strictly need TTS! -- you can watch 'over-the-shoulder' at a ten second delay. The game has no secret information, so you could play that way, too.

Relatedly, I survived the not-vacation (as did the family), and I'm back home with my giant home computer at last...  :smitten: I miss "the Presence" whenever I'm gone, though I did take my Surface. (But mostly tried to catch up on reading.)

I don't mind doing a live demo of the game more than once. Saturday or perhaps even Sunday morning might work best for Ysk, since he's going to be Zulu or +1 I suppose. Central US should be -6, so a 6 or 7 hour difference. (Or 8? ...unsure how far east Holland goes.)

I do indeed have TTS. Now that I own the physical copy I'm gonna start skimming the rules to try and get a basic understanding of the game and I'd probably like to spectate at first, if possible. For me having the free time to play out the large tutorial that comes with the game will be a chore in and of itself. Many of the reviews on BoardgameGeek elude to it being more complex than the rest of the COIN series and I'm not versed in those earlier ones either. But I am exited about FitL. I've been wanting a game on the subject for some time. This seems like the great trade off in abstraction and ease of play with good historic flavor that intrigues me.

I appreciate it Jason. Hopefully I can digest some rules before then so that it really sticks when I see it in action.

JasonPratt

Tomorrow being Labor Day, if anyone will be around, and at least has Steam (ideally also TTS), drop me a line and let me know if you'd like to learn FitL!

Let me know your Steam name if so; and send a friend request to me at the Grogheads Steam group. Should be "Sabreman" or possibly "Mikonesesagaman" (from back when Steam required an absolutely unique username and dang well no one else has THAT one. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Ubercat

Heh. We're already friends and have been for years. I sometimes get a message that Sabreman is playing such and such, but completely forgot that that was you!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Moreb

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 01, 2019, 07:03:43 PM
Tomorrow being Labor Day, if anyone will be around, and at least has Steam (ideally also TTS), drop me a line and let me know if you'd like to learn FitL!

Let me know your Steam name if so; and send a friend request to me at the Grogheads Steam group. Should be "Sabreman" or possibly "Mikonesesagaman" (from back when Steam required an absolutely unique username and dang well no one else has THAT one. ;) )
Dang. Was out of town and unplugged for the weekend. My Steam name is Ozark Rebel  and I've sent you a request. I should be around next weekend if your schedule is clear. I'm not much of an online gamer so I'd need to get my mic going again. Shouldn't be too much trouble. What program do you use for voice chat?

Thanks for the effort, especially considering that I'm newish to TTS and the COIN system. I really wanted to dive into the rules this past week but Ive hardly had an hour of time to myself.  My fear of looking like an idiot has kept me away from most online experiences. Be gentle.  #:-)

JasonPratt

Moreb / Ozark Rebel then for next weekend! -- I'm relatively free at any time during the weekend.

Maybe Yskonyn will be free one of his evenings next weekend; that should be around noon or a little before to start with for us (if you're still in the Ozarks. I'm across the Mississippi River halfway to the Tennessee River, roughly on a line between Chicago and Biloxi/Mobile.)

If we got a third, we'd have a foursome to play with; or if we got a fourth, I could just umpire. I'll check with Tuna.

Moreb

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 02, 2019, 08:48:14 PM
Moreb / Ozark Rebel then for next weekend! -- I'm relatively free at any time during the weekend.

Maybe Yskonyn will be free one of his evenings next weekend; that should be around noon or a little before to start with for us (if you're still in the Ozarks. I'm across the Mississippi River halfway to the Tennessee River, roughly on a line between Chicago and Biloxi/Mobile.)

If we got a third, we'd have a foursome to play with; or if we got a fourth, I could just umpire. I'll check with Tuna.

I'll try to skim the rules a bit. I'd hate to be a drag on an actual game.

JasonPratt

Ysk wants to join, but already made extensive plans for the weekend, so he'll have to do a demo later.

Unsure that I can convince Tuna, but I'm trying.

Anyone else?

Moreb

Appreciate the effort Jason. BTW, I am currently in The Peoples Republic of Illinois and spend most weekends at our place just in the Ozarks of Missouri. I despise Illinois. High taxes, stupid laws, broken roads etc. I miss Missouri every day I am not there. Being in this state where dreams go to die was never a planned event. A family member in trouble and a conscience larger than my brain has me a prisoner here for just a short bit longer.

I'm feeling emotional. Only a sing-song will help.

JasonPratt

"We got a thing in this territory... {spit} ...called a Missouri boatride."

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Moreb

Us Missoruhns have come a long ways since those days.  Optics are much better now.....  ;D

Moreb

Hey Jason.  What faction would you think is best for me to learn as I am discovering all play different and have their own rules for ops etc?

Keep in mind, I'm a COIN noob.