Dungeons and doughnuts

Started by Emeraldlis, December 18, 2016, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Haha , no probs undercover geek  O0 I'll report back on my next fact finding mission ....sir , yes sir !!!!!  ;D

It's a pity you can't lure the OAP's grandkids in with cheap booze ...oops , I mean gallons of cheap fizzy pop !, ....I'm sure they'd sneak the booze in for themselves  ::) 

I wonder if they would travel from the campus you have near leamington though , you know , if word got around that there was a gaming store where you are thinking of setting up ?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 03, 2017, 08:42:56 PM
Could be wrong, but I've heard that game stores make a lot of their profit off of snacks/food/vending sales. I heard that from one guy that was ex-Matrix PR and had designs to open his own gaming shop in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. Can't recall his name and don't know if he even did it, but I do clearly remember our conversation strangely enough. Probably because I'd LOVE to run my own gaming shop. But not unless I had really, really deep pockets.

Shut up, mirth, I can hear you now. :P

You certainly have the merchandise to open your store :P

I think it's pretty accurate that game stores make a good chunk of money off drinks and snacks. I know a guy opeates one of the few remaining FLGS in Southern Maine and the food/drink sales add substantially to his bottom line.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Emeraldlis

Quote from: mirth on January 05, 2017, 07:27:35 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 03, 2017, 08:42:56 PM
Could be wrong, but I've heard that game stores make a lot of their profit off of snacks/food/vending sales. I heard that from one guy that was ex-Matrix PR and had designs to open his own gaming shop in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. Can't recall his name and don't know if he even did it, but I do clearly remember our conversation strangely enough. Probably because I'd LOVE to run my own gaming shop. But not unless I had really, really deep pockets.

Shut up, mirth, I can hear you now. :P

You certainly have the merchandise to open your store :P

I think it's pretty accurate that game stores make a good chunk of money off drinks and snacks. I know a guy opeates one of the few remaining FLGS in Southern Maine and the food/drink sales add substantially to his bottom line.

I wonder why FLGS don't include a section for console gaming ? Y'know , make guys who want to do that wear headphones so that the noise isn't a distraction to board gamers . I know the cons to that are most people have there own consoles , game online with other friends , or just don't want to leave the house .......can't walk around your FLGS just wearing nowt but ya pants !!!  :o Then again who knows .......haha

But I think that would be very cool to have the option to do both , rent a board game , or a disc , and actually go meet up with your buddies face to face , rather than always online . Maybe that's just my preference though , gaming for me is about being social and having fun around other people  :) I also just think if I owned a shop like that I would be thinking of all sorts of ways to diversify and keep the place up and running , and appealing to more than just a niche market :)  I think it would be very cool to own that kind of a store .......and sounds like we could raid banzai_ cats stash to get up and running  ;D sorry mate , needs must ....for the greater good and all ...... O:-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

undercovergeek

I used to own a lan centre and we would host up to 30 players at any onetime, we'd get the occasional clan who came in, some who'd never met each other except online and they had a blast from Friday til Sunday but sometimes you just couldn't convince people to get out of bed and get their gear ready when, as you say, you could sit in bed in your pants and join our game

But I'd definitely prefer the sat with mates option than sat online with mates

I wish all shops like this good luck and hope them every success and one day hope to have one

Emeraldlis

That sounds like an awesome business you had there undercover geek :)  that just sounds like a LOT of fun !  And yeah , I would much rather game with mates than alone or online . I really hope you get a game store up and running , all the best with it mate :)

I went to a game place with a bunch of friends last year during the summer ( haha , feels weird saying last year now ) don't know if you remember a TV show called the crystal maze ? You had to go through a series of rooms solving puzzles , could be a physical challenge or a mental challenge , and if you didn't solve the puzzle you got locked in the room .

Well about 20 of us went to this place called lough key forest park , they have a set up like the crystal maze . OMG ....it was a lot of fun !!! We split into teams and competed against each other , if you got a part of the puzzle wrong , you couldn't get through the whole room and had to start again ....so you had to remember how to do the first part .....tricky on memory puzzles !! It was very physically challenging , crawling through trap doors , and through glass floor tunnels , and squeezing through tight spaces ...I loved it  :D and the puzzles were really challenging ...and hilarious in parts . It was a really awesome day out . I really want to go again this summer , but camp as well . It's got another activity center there , zip wires  and such , I'd love to give that a try next time :)

I love being outdoors , I'm definately an outdoor type girl :)  but to be honest doing anything like that socially with friends is right up my street !

Arctic Blast

Sounds like a gaming cafe. We have 4 of those (with a 5th open or soon to be open) in Edmonton now, which seems like an absurdly high number. But it's a great business model for a gamer...pay whatever the fee is, play games, and I can get something to eat and a beer? In.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 09, 2017, 12:04:05 AM
Sounds like a gaming cafe. We have 4 of those (with a 5th open or soon to be open) in Edmonton now, which seems like an absurdly high number. But it's a great business model for a gamer...pay whatever the fee is, play games, and I can get something to eat and a beer? In.

Agreed , Arctic blast  :bd: I think those places are a gamers dream , and it's a nice way to spend time , relaxing , playing a game , the atmosphere in the place I go to is a nice laid back vibe  :) sadly no beer ....but hey , there's a street of bars right around the corner , so it's all good !!! Lol . Hope the new shop that opens turns out to be a good one , at least you have plenty of choice  :D

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 09, 2017, 02:04:56 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 09, 2017, 12:04:05 AM

Agreed , Arctic blast  :bd: I think those places are a gamers dream , and it's a nice way to spend time , relaxing , playing a game , the atmosphere in the place I go to is a nice laid back vibe  :) sadly no beer ....but hey , there's a street of bars right around the corner , so it's all good !!! Lol . Hope the new shop that opens turns out to be a good one , at least you have plenty of choice  :D

If they at least have good coffee, that's a nice fallback from beer.  :)

Emeraldlis

I need some advice guys please :) how weird would it be if I turned up to a gaming cafe by myself ? I haven't been able to go back here recently with my gaming partner for various reasons , and I'm feeling the need to open a board game !!! Do you think they will rent out solitaire games ? And how weird would I look sat there by myself playing it !!!!!  :-\

bayonetbrant

Go by yourself and put a sign on your table that says "will game for food"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 12, 2017, 10:11:20 AM

:DD........food AND booze !!! Might improve my chances of winning  ;) honestly though , do people just show up at these places hoping to get someone to join them in a game ?

Nefaro

Quote from: Emeraldlis on February 12, 2017, 10:15:08 AM

:DD........food AND booze !!! Might improve my chances of winning  ;) honestly though , do people just show up at these places hoping to get someone to join them in a game ?

That's certainly one way of going about it.  Brant had a good suggestion with the standing note.

I would ask someone working there that question, about how best to get a 'pick-up' game going there.  They're generally pretty helpful on the topic.

They may also have designated nights for certain games.  Where pick-up games, with whomever is looking to play, are more likely.  The employees/owner should be able to fill you in on such things if you ask about it.  It's in their interests to get more regulars in the store more often, too.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on February 12, 2017, 10:15:08 AM

yes.

and "will game for food" sounds a lot less desperate than "let me be your third wheel"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

Es, if you're unsure about gaming cafes, or places that sell games, there are gaming clubs that meet at people's houses.
I like miniature gaming so a website that has helped when traveling is www.hmgs.org
Most gamers are always looking to find new people to join their groups.  Some have members that are neanderthals, but there is usually a good mix of personalities.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Emeraldlis

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement guys to go and give this a try by myself  O0

I'm not sure about going by myself to someone's house for a game Besilarius. I think I'd feel much more comfortable about doing that with someone else to go with, b/c knowing my luck I'll end up with the Neanderthal  ::) but thanks for the link because you never know I might try that in the future :)

I am going to ask about gaming groups though when I go back to the store , and hopefully they'll have something that I can join in on over there :)  now to go make that sign..............