Psst...Hey, Martok!

Started by BanzaiCat, January 04, 2014, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 04, 2014, 05:55:24 PM
I know that chick!

I dated that chick. Her canines were sharper back then.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

The teeth were rough.
the tenticles more so.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Martok

He looks like he's singing.  :o 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

bayonetbrant

This Spider Makes Fake Spiders. But Why?

QuoteScientists returned to the Amazon rainforest in December to collect data on one of their biggest finds of 2012: a spider that uses insect corpses and jungle trash to build big, spider-shaped decoys in its web.

But these Peruvian spiders, presumed to be a new species of Cyclosa, are not the sole sculptors of false arachnids. A second decoy spider lives in the Philippines, on the island of Negros. Finding two spiders that make such similar designs, 11,000 miles apart, has left scientists wondering how the behavior evolved and if the decoys serve as lures for prey or as an anti-predator defense system. The discoveries also suggest there may be even more sculpting arachnids.

You just have to know what to look for.

"The Philippine species and the Peruvian species, they both makes these decoys, but the architecture is different," said entomologist Lary Reeves, a graduate student at the University of Florida who found the Philippine spider in March 2012. That spider decoy's legs radiate outward from the body in all directions, while the Peruvian decoy's legs tend to point downward.

Reeves was studying deforestation and butterfly communities on Mount Kanlaon, near the town of Murcia, when he noticed something odd along the trail leading down the mountain from his field site.

"I walked by this web with a spider in the middle," Reeves said. "A couple steps past it, I realized it was a spider I hadn't seen in the area before. I backtracked, looked, and saw that it was a decoy."
The decoy was about the size of a half-dollar, constructed from debris and food carcasses, with eight legs radiating from its bulky center. It took Reeves awhile to find the spider that sculpted the false arachnid, but he eventually spotted it hiding in a pocket built into the decoy's abdomen. It was just millimeters across, and well camouflaged by its building materials.

At the time, there was no way Reeves could know entomologist Phil Torres would soon find a similar spider in Peru, and that its artistic representations would crawl all over the internet.

In December, Reeves went to Peru with Torres to try to learn more about these spider-building spiders. The spiders live in an isolated patch of protected jungle along the Rio Tambopata, in the floodplain that surrounds the Tambopata Research Center.

There, Reeves and Torres and their colleagues spotted about a half-dozen of the spider-building spiders. The team photographed and measured the decoys daily, paying close attention to how the spiders rebuilt their decoys after seasonal rains turned them into soggy piles of web trash.

more at the link

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

i was happy, only a bit, but happy knowing they were quite dumb

now im not so sure

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

When we first moved into this house I'm in now, ten years ago, I killed a big ass spider in the master bathroom. He was probably as big as my hand. He was trapped between the bathroom cabinet and the bathtub; there's a space about eight inches or so wide there. That damn thing shucked and jived and dodged me, all the while his eight little beady eyes bored into me with the hatred of a thousand supernovas. I thought he was going to escape.

I finally stomped his ass, though. I still remember that after all these years despite having killed a few spiders here and there...that thing, it was like looking into the eyes of a condemned man. It freaked me the hell out.

Never saw another one in the house, fortunately. I think he just got trapped in there because the wilderness was claimed by our subdivision's additions. Well, except for that f*cking brown recluse that bit me a couple/three years ago. Other than that...no spiders.

NO SPIDERS, I said.

GDS_Starfury

I for one welcome our new arachnid overlords.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces